Suites - Room Service Dinner Menu

RLK33853

Then the steward was not doing his job. The menus for each day in the suite services book are supposed to be changed out daily. We always found the next day breakfast menu on our bed after the steward had done the nightly turndown service.

The new lunch and dinner menus were in the book when we returned to the room after breakfast. We are big room service users and have lunch on all the sea days on our balcony.

That has been our experience as well.

Mike:)

I guess the best way to have a leisurely dinner en suite would be to call room service and order an appetizer and soup/salad course. Then, later on, call back and order an entree. That way you're not having to rush through the first two courses to get to the entree before it gets cold. Relaxing with a glass of wine while waiting for the fresh, hot entree to arrive wouldn't be too difficult of an effort, IMO! ;)

I've actually never thought about that. I'll definitely consider it in September.....:):):)

Bob

• 8 months later...

We'll be in a Penthouse suite on Caribbean Princess in May for our British Isles cruise. I can see that dinner in our suite could be quite appealing after a long port day, but where will we eat it? It will likely be too cold to eat out on the balcony at night. Is the small coffee table suitable, or does room service wheel in a table like you see in many hotels? I just don't want to be balancing a plate on my lap. It sounds like a lot of cruisers enjoy this perk, please give us some tips on how you manage it!

I loved this perk for my mom. Often she would be tired and preferred to eat in the suite.

At the end, it would be hard for her to make up her mind, and she did not think as fast on her feet--- I could review the menus in the suite before we went to dinner. This gave us lots of time to think about and discuss what she would like to eat. Then when we would go down to the MDR, I could just order for her. It helped to reduce some of the confusion.

The only downfall is that in many suites on Princess, there is no proper table, so you must eat on the coffee table. But somehow, we found a way to manage...;)

When we have dinner we order it in courses, apps salad, main course, then dessert. If were to full we won't order dessert, so no waste. I don't feel I'm doing anything wrong. We pay for this service. I want my food hot and fresh. Sending it all at once is not good service. If I order lunch does this mean I have to order a after noon snack at the same time so they don't have to make 2 trips. If I run out of ice and I don't feel like going to the lido deck to pick up some I call room service, that is what there for.We tip for each delivery, so the staff are making a little extra cash, that they wouldn't if I didn't want to bother them. If Princess didn't want to allow this they would say dinner has to be ordered all at the same time.

It hasn't been mentioned so I will.

Afternoon Tea is available for delivery to Suites as well.

You can order for as many people as you wish, but they bring a lot for each person, so tea for Two may be enough for Three or even Four.

Pot of hot water and a selection of bag (Bigelow?) teas is provided. And scones, jam, sandwiches...

A really cool way to host an informal gathering of cruise friends.

How much does the UBD cost? I can't find that on the Princess website. Trying to decide if (as a suite guest) whether to try this or simply offer tips for several trips with different MDR courses. Thanks.

We'll be in a Penthouse suite on Caribbean Princess in May for our British Isles cruise. I can see that dinner in our suite could be quite appealing after a long port day, but where will we eat it? It will likely be too cold to eat out on the balcony at night. Is the small coffee table suitable, or does room service wheel in a table like you see in many hotels? I just don't want to be balancing a plate on my lap. It sounds like a lot of cruisers enjoy this perk, please give us some tips on how you manage it!

While it is a little lower than a dining room table, we have used the coffee table when it has been too cool to eat outside and it worked just fine.

How much does the UBD cost? I can't find that on the Princess website. Trying to decide if (as a suite guest) whether to try this or simply offer tips for several trips with different MDR courses. Thanks.

It was $100 per couple for ours a couple of years ago - it is exactly the total amount of the inventory items (cocktails, photo, flowers, $32 champagne) and then the Food And Service are complimentary as a way to give passengers an experience they will talk about!

I would say dining outside of an evening in May around the UK may be pushing it. You could be very very very lucky, but I personally don't think it would be warm enough. Better to think inside.

On our cruises in 2014 and 2015 the Steward brought the daily lunch and dinner menus without our asking. On our cruise in Jan. 2016 it was like pulling teeth to get him to bring them. Finally, about the 4th day he started doing it without our having to ask. Very annoying! We like to check out the menus and then decide whether to eat dinner in the room, MDR or book a specialty for that evening.

While it is a little lower than a dining room table, we have used the coffee table when it has been too cool to eat outside and it worked just fine.

Thanks, that is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. I think we will try it, especially after one of our long port tours. Lunch on sea days sounds nice also, and of course breakfast when we need to be out very early. We plan on using Sabatini's for breakfast, but departure will be just too early some days. Lots of full days planned.

Agree - the coffee table is a little low to be a normal dining table but that's a small compromise for the joy of a nice meal in the privacy of a really nice suite!

Some of our most memorable cruise experiences are our in-suite dining: UBD as the sun set departing St. Lucia, hot tea/soup/snacks while cruising through Glacier Bay, dinner on our balcony overlooking the lagoon and mountain of Bora Bora, etc.

In fact when we stayed in our first PS we were so enamored with it we ate many meals there so it felt almost like the big CB was our private yacht! :) yet we had all the ship activities to partake of if and when we wanted.

So enjoy dining in your suite. But also enjoy breakfast in Sabatini's which is one of the best Princess suite benefits.

Edited by KruzeKrazy!

If suites are entitled to enjoy the full MDR in their stateroom then I think the suggestion they should pay for the UBD is a little off, unless of course you want the UBD as an extra special dinner. I also read upthread that S8 suites and above are able to enjoy the full MDR menu. Vista suites are S6 but are suites so presume this was a typo?

So we should expect the breakfast menu the night before and the lunch/dinner menus during the day of that dinner. And we should ask for these on the first day and hope we get them automatically?

Edited by Pushka

If suites are entitled to enjoy the full MDR in their stateroom then I think the suggestion they should pay for the UBD is a little off, unless of course you want the UBD as an extra special dinner. I also read upthread that S8 suites and above are able to enjoy the full MDR menu. Vista suites are S6 but are suites so presume this was a typo?

So we should expect the breakfast menu the night before and the lunch/dinner menus during the day of that dinner. And we should ask for these on the first day and hope we get them automatically?

IMHO, the UBD is a very different experience, like going to a specialty restaurant. To have the room service meal served at the proper temperatures you would really need to place at least three orders, one for appetizers, soup and salad, one for the entrees and another for desserts. It can work but you only have the menu for that day.

Oh the other hand the UBD has a very good salad, a quiche, surf and turf, and a heavenly dessert and everything is served at the right time and the right temperature. You also get two cocktails and champagne or other wine. It's worth it, even in a suite.

Edited by IECalCruiser

Yes, the UBD sounds wonderful as an event. The MDR in room service sounds wonderful after a heavy day in port or on formal night if you choose not to participate.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

Thanks, that is exactly the feedback I was hoping for. I think we will try it, especially after one of our long port tours. Lunch on sea days sounds nice also, and of course breakfast when we need to be out very early. We plan on using Sabatini's for breakfast, but departure will be just too early some days. Lots of full days planned.

The full menu is available only during the hours when the main dining room is open, so breakfast may not be available early enough for an early departure.

The full menu is available only during the hours when the main dining room is open, so breakfast may not be available early enough for an early departure.
MDR doesn't open until 7:00 on port days so if you order from room service before then you probably only have the enhanced suite room service menu that adds an omelette, but based upon the "quality" of the room service omelettes we prefer the made to order omelettes available in the HC.

Though we cruise both Princess and Celebrity this is THE ONE area I wish Princess would get on Celebrities level with....on X ANY cabin can order room service from the MDR menu during dining hours and it is all brought at once but in Suites your butler serves you, not a room service person and it is brought up and served course by course.

Yes, you get it all at once. They will leave the lids on the plates if you so desire, but you do need to be ready to eat every course one after another.

My DW loved eating in our Suite on our last cruise. It was OK, but I didn't enjoy the meal as I would getting them course by course. On our next cruise, I signed us up for TD. I will admit I liked eating on the balcony, maybe we do the UBD. They come course by course.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app