Allure preparing for dry dock

There was a massive queue but then they realised I had crown and anchor status so pulled me out into the priority lines. Was about 20mins

This will be our first cruise so we will be waiting longer I'd say will we

Well the only change that's actually alright is the changing of Rita's to Sabor. Now any other changes that they want to/have to make (Royal IQ, RFID cards, waterslides, virtual balconies etc) to ensure Allure is one of the best in the fleet they will have to do during cruises or wait 5 years for the next dry dock, seems really inconvenient to not implement the simplest of things (RFID, Royal IQ, Virtual Balconies) during this dry dock

So changes they have done are:

Rebranded dining room to American Icon, Grande and Chic. Changed Rita's place to Sabor. Replaced the crown Viking lounge to become coastal Kitchen and Suite lounge. Moved Izmil from deck 16 to deck 4. Replaced lots of the carpets (especially in stairwells). Was told they added some cabins as well. Cupcake cupboard has gone.

Well the only change that's actually alright is the changing of Rita's to Sabor. Now any other changes that they want to/have to make (Royal IQ, RFID cards, waterslides, virtual balconies etc) to ensure Allure is one of the best in the fleet they will have to do during cruises or wait 5 years for the next dry dock, seems really inconvenient to not implement the simplest of things (RFID, Royal IQ, Virtual Balconies) during this dry dock

My guess is that you will not see virtual balconies retrofitted to ships in drydock but instead only put on new ships. I know they. Put them on the navigator but I'm not sure that those rooms are commanding the premium over a regular interior that they needed to achieve in order to pay for themselves.

Rpyal IQ could easily be implemented once DD is rolled out and until then there really is no need to have it going.

Not sure what will happen with the RFID Wowbands as that is quite a complex task on existing ships. Changing all the door lock mechanisms, the additional wiring and changing every Point of sale system is sure to be quite costly.

Definitely too bad about the waterslides.

Yes 21% for most, 10% at bars

Typically, the 10% should only be charged prior to and following Spanish ports. VAT should not be charged on services when they are produced and carried out in international waters. The higher VAT should only be charged on 'products'

Maybe RCI handle this different than the European lines? I really do not recall from my Barcelona sailing last May on Liberty.

Spanish 10% IVA tax is applicable to all bar purchases, select dining cover charges and room service charges when in Spanish waters only.

Spanish 21% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from a Spanish port.

An Italian 22% IVA tax is applicable to purchases made in the on board shops, photo gallery and products purchased in the spa (excluding treatments and services) when the cruise starts from an Italian port.

Here are some photos of new parts of the ship posted on twitter that might be of interest.

Sabor

American Icon Grill

Grande

Silk

Suite lounge

Michael Kors

Queue for check in

and one from the dry dock

ImageUploadedByForums1432088563.397605.jpg.101b4de7d63467694c04334bb2b5e4c1.jpg As its a closed EU cruise Spanish VAT is added for the duration of the cruise. Similar debates on NCL forum as Epic charges the same. Think Spain are trying to maximise revenues for sailings from Spanish ports.

It's in the compass and separate letter and even CD announced it.

If you can't read it seems better on my Twitter account

Hi Craig - now following you on twitter. When you have a chance, could you post your internet package on twitter as I just can't read it on CC. Glad you are enjoying your cruise. We are so looking forward to our TA in October.

[ATTACH]349835[/ATTACH] As its a closed EU cruise Spanish VAT is added for the duration of the cruise. Similar debates on NCL forum as Epic charges the same. Think Spain are trying to maximise revenues for sailings from Spanish ports.

It's in the compass and separate letter and even CD announced it.

No, it´s an EU law. I paid the British VAT on a magnet I bought onboard the Anthem of the Seas during the pre inaugural cruise.

On all closed loop cruises out of a European port you have to pay the VAT of the country the cruise starts. There´s a reduced VAT on food and other stuff (which is the 10% for Spain). But on all other goods you have to pay the full VAT (which is 21% in Spain).

Here in Germany I have 19% regular VAT, 7% reduced VAT. Funny thing is, when you buy something at McD or other fast food restaurants they ask you "here or to go". When you answer "to go" it´s only 7%. When you answer "here" it´s 19%. The price you pay is the same as the VAT is included in the price written on the menu. It´s just that the company has to forward either 19 or 7 % to the state.

steamboats

No, it´s an EU law. I paid the British VAT on a magnet I bought onboard the Anthem of the Seas during the pre inaugural cruise.

Good, we need it!

Here in Germany I have 19% regular VAT, 7% reduced VAT. Funny thing is, when you buy something at McD or other fast food restaurants they ask you "here or to go". When you answer "to go" it´s only 7%. When you answer "here" it´s 19%. The price you pay is the same as the VAT is included in the price written on the menu. It´s just that the company has to forward either 19 or 7 % to the state.

steamboats

In the UK we have similar VAT laws but all food and children's clothing is VAT exempt, and prepared food is VAT exempt if not using the stores seating.

A bakery/pasty store here called Greggs has 2 different prices on items, one for take out, one for eat in.

That said, UK law doesn't require it once you have left UK waters, however it's often easier for them to stick to one price throughout the cruise and the 20% VAT gets paid to the UK Government anyway

That said, UK law doesn't require it once you have left UK waters, however it's often easier for them to stick to one price throughout the cruise and the 20% VAT gets paid to the UK Government anyway

It´s not the UK law requiring the VAT but EU law. But most of the cruises out of UK do have a non EU port. Guernsey qualifies as non EU. Then you only have to pay the VAT as long as you´re in UK waters. The pre inaugural was a 2 nighter out of Southampton with no port stop. So legally it was a closed loop cruise not hitting a non EU port. Therefore they had to charge the VAT.

Last year on the Oasis TA (Eastbound) we had the Spanish VAT for Malaga and Barcelona. The Cruise Daily said we have to pay it in port and within 1 hour after leaving/before entering the port.

steamboats

So changes they have done are:

Rebranded dining room to American Icon, Grande and Chic. Changed Rita's place to Sabor. Replaced the crown Viking lounge to become coastal Kitchen and Suite lounge. Moved Izmil from deck 16 to deck 4. Replaced lots of the carpets (especially in stairwells). Was told they added some cabins as well. Cupcake cupboard has gone.

I hope you are enjoying your cruise, thank you for taking time to post all this information. We will be boarding on Sunday in Barcelona :)

Re adding more cabins - they definately have as I booked my cabin on deck 6 so I could stagger from my cabin to the Diamond Lounge opposite for breakfast :o. The diamond lounge is no longer on deck 6 and there are cabins tagged on to the one I booked. Not sure where the diamond lounge is now, if you get the chance could you have a look and let me know what it is like?

Many thanks

Faye

Here are some photos of new parts of the ship posted on twitter that might be of interest.

Sabor

American Icon Grill

Grande

Silk

Suite lounge

Michael Kors

Queue for check in

and one from the dry dock

Thanks for the pictures.

Question about Silk, The Grande and American Icon....these all have a different feel but my understanding is that the menu is the same for all (unless they implement dynamic dining at some point). So if you are on My a Time, which room are you assigned?

Thanks for the pictures.

Question about Silk, The Grande and American Icon....these all have a different feel but my understanding is that the menu is the same for all (unless they implement dynamic dining at some point). So if you are on My a Time, which room are you assigned?

Mytime is currently deck 3 American Icon. Yes same menu. Only new is Coastal Kitchen for suite guests and Sabor Lunch and dinner for a fee

I hope you are enjoying your cruise, thank you for taking time to post all this information. We will be boarding on Sunday in Barcelona :)

Re adding more cabins - they definately have as I booked my cabin on deck 6 so I could stagger from my cabin to the Diamond Lounge opposite for breakfast :o. The diamond lounge is no longer on deck 6 and there are cabins tagged on to the one I booked. Not sure where the diamond lounge is now, if you get the chance could you have a look and let me know what it is like?

Many thanks

Faye

Walked past the Diamond Lounge today it's by the aft stairwell above Dazzles.