The new promo is lame

It was in quotes because I didn't literally mean "scammed"- let's say this leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. For months, NCL has done a huge push to TAs, sharing and creating excitement around various promos usually around 1-2 weeks before. This one, was quietly changed under the radar. If its so great, why not have the same fanfare around it?

Worse for me, prices jumped (coincidentally?) when the free bev package was offered. Right around the amount of the bev package (and no, not every single cruise and yes, there are exceptions- but, in general, the prices went up in direct relation to the timing and amount of the value of the "free" bev package). Prices haven't come down. So, today, you are paying more for a lot less.

And, no I don't have anything I was booking for myself or others on the immediate horizon. I am just disappointed in the integrity of a product I had a fondness for. The new promo sucks. The new pricing model sucks. The underhanded nature of some recent changes sucks.

And at or above competitor's pricing with no "hook" like free beverage- there is no reason to promote NCL over the competition.

I am not the kind of person to worry too much about what others think. I work 100% for my clients and if I see something I think affects them negatively, then I'll say it. I am not a koolaid drinker with the vendors I partner with.

I'll say it: the new promo sucks. The new pricing model sucks. The underhandedness of some recent changes sucks.

Okay, now these are comments I can totally get behind. I completely agree that the recent changes (or "takeaways" as some have called them) have been very badly handled. And, yes, the new promo, for lack of a better word, sucks compared to the last one. Thank you for coming back and clarifying your comment.

Always have a spare future cruise deposit around from an NCL cruise. Then if you see a good deal with perks go ahead and book it since it will not cost anything; if between that date and 75 days before what you booked must be paid you see a better cruise just call and move the date. You keep the perks (unless it is one of the few that are not eligible) and it will cost nothing to change at that time. By booking direct you eliminate the TA as a go between and you can react quickly including short lived fare drops.

I do this as well. NOTHING against TAs but I always book direct with all trips, even non cruise. I have never had a TA get me a better deal. Plus when I want to change something - I want it changed! LOL I can't expect a TA to be at my beck and call :)

It was in quotes because I didn't literally mean "scammed"- let's say this leaves a terrible taste in my mouth. For months, NCL has done a huge push to TAs, sharing and creating excitement around various promos usually around 1-2 weeks before. This one, was quietly changed under the radar. If its so great, why not have the same fanfare around it?

Worse for me, prices jumped (coincidentally?) when the free bev package was offered. Right around the amount of the bev package (and no, not every single cruise and yes, there are exceptions- but, in general, the prices went up in direct relation to the timing and amount of the value of the "free" bev package). Prices haven't come down. So, today, you are paying more for a lot less.

And, no I don't have anything I was booking for myself or others on the immediate horizon. I am just disappointed in the integrity of a product I had a fondness for. The new promo sucks. The new pricing model sucks. The underhanded nature of some recent changes sucks.

And at or above competitor's pricing with no "hook" like free beverage- there is no reason to promote NCL over the competition.

I am not the kind of person to worry too much about what others think. I work 100% for my clients and if I see something I think affects them negatively, then I'll say it. I am not a koolaid drinker with the vendors I partner with.

I'll say it: the new promo sucks. The new pricing model sucks. The underhandedness of some recent changes sucks.

Good for you!! You sound like a TA I would want working for me!

Much of the time, TAs can't get a lower price. Many vendors have a no discounting policy. A TA can usually add something like OBC. Or if you don't know much about what you want or the product, good to use a TA. if you know exactly what you want and want to control it, you book it yourself.

Agreed. Terrible promo. And I am really surprised that there was no last hurrah effort on the previous promo. At the very least, NCL usually makes a big effort to update TAs on changes like this and this one was very quiet. Now, the prices are as high or higher as other lines and w/o the free beverage, there is absolutely no incentive to push NCL over other lines. Why are the prices exactly the same today as they were last month when they were offering these nice deals? At the very least, pricing should have come down a little bit to make it feel a little better. I feel like I have been "scammed" for sure! Goodbye NCL!

Nope, it wasn't quiet. It was in the same place that TA's find out marketing information well before today's date. So, not really sure why you're thinking it was quiet. I was well aware of the new promotion. Not to mention, NCL is actually a for-profit business. They can't give away the house forever.

I had to laugh at this thread. The "new" promo.

Its like the Who song.... meet the new boss.......same as the old boss

Its the same promos over and over. I don't think its a deal to pay $400 more to get a $145 UDP (that may or may not include Cagneys anymore). But that's just me ;)

Gratuities for first 2 passengers and $75 a cabin shore excursion. UBP and UDP are for all 4. Those are really the ones we care about. We drink wine/beer and will drink mixed too. I did not realize excursion was per port so bonus!!Great deal!

UBP is only for the first 2. Others in the cabin only get the soda package.

I had to laugh at this thread. The "new" promo.

Its like the Who song.... meet the new boss.......same as the old boss

Its the same promos over and over. I don't think its a deal to pay $400 more to get a $145 UDP (that may or may not include Cagneys anymore). But that's just me ;)

Whoa! Wait one minute! What is this you say about Cagney's?? Obv. I am not going to 18 months but I love Cagney's! Even though, as a suite guest, we get to go for breakfast and lunch, I still like a good steak dinner one night!

So what is this rumour?? Thanks! :)

Whoa! Wait one minute! What is this you say about Cagney's?? Obv. I am not going to 18 months but I love Cagney's! Even though, as a suite guest, we get to go for breakfast and lunch, I still like a good steak dinner one night!

So what is this rumour?? Thanks! :)

A poster started a rumor (said the Hotel Director on the ship she/he was on told him/her), saying that Cagney's was going a la carte and then people turned that into they were going to be a la carte and taken off the UDP. The only thing, at this time, that has changed is that they reduced the price for Cagney's from $30 to $29.95. Also, a poster who said they had a connection with Mr. Del Rio said that this was not true. So who knows. I said that possibly Cagney's will have an al a carte menu in addition to their regular menu or that additional items ordered will be al a carte, especially with the gluttonous attitude of some guests (ordering multiple items from each section on the menu). But who knows!!!

And if NCL had decided to not offer a promo this month people would be complaining that "they could have at least offered us SOMETHING". It must really suck to have your glass half empty all the time!

ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Love it! I've been reading the HAL boards where everyone seems so happy to be cruising, looking forward to their summer voyages and then I come over here to NCL and people are still whining and complaining about how NCL is lying to them and ripping them off. Good grief!

Ha! Perfect then. I just wanted to clarify in case someone else read that everyone gets UBP and thinks it's true.

Glad you did actually. If I did not have my document that lists what we each get, I would have assumed we all did if we were all adults. Weird how they would not do it for UBP but will for the soda package. I wonder if they only do 2 of each per cabin?

A poster started a rumor (said the Hotel Director on the ship she/he was on told him/her), saying that Cagney's was going a la carte and then people turned that into they were going to be a la carte and taken off the UDP. The only thing, at this time, that has changed is that they reduced the price for Cagney's from $30 to $29.95. Also, a poster who said they had a connection with Mr. Del Rio said that this was not true. So who knows. I said that possibly Cagney's will have an al a carte menu in addition to their regular menu or that additional items ordered will be al a carte, especially with the gluttonous attitude of some guests (ordering multiple items from each section on the menu). But who knows!!!

LOL. After you said that I searched and found the orig thread. Read the whole 380 posts.....I decided to call and they said there was nothing like that happening and if it did, ppl who booked getting it would get it. I don't think NCL is perfect (they are a business) but they are not going to screw 1000s of ppl - that is a lot og bad publicity!

ha, ha, ha, ha!!! Love it! I've been reading the HAL boards where everyone seems so happy to be cruising, looking forward to their summer voyages and then I come over here to NCL and people are still whining and complaining about how NCL is lying to them and ripping them off. Good grief!

Perhaps the good folks at HAL haven't given their passanger any reason to whine ?

Nope, it wasn't quiet. It was in the same place that TA's find out marketing information well before today's date. So, not really sure why you're thinking it was quiet. I was well aware of the new promotion. Not to mention, NCL is actually a for-profit business. They can't give away the house forever.

So there was a one hour Andy Stuart led briefing on this last week? Possibly I missed it and if so I stand corrected. Every other promo since January ( and before) was introduced in a live webinar a week or so before new promo launch.

And, again, for all the koolaid drinkers- they "gave away" nothing. You paid for the promo with the sustematic price increases in proportion to the promo amount when it was launched.

LOL. After you said that I searched and found the orig thread. Read the whole 380 posts.....I decided to call and they said there was nothing like that happening and if it did, ppl who booked getting it would get it. I don't think NCL is perfect (they are a business) but they are not going to screw 1000s of ppl - that is a lot og bad publicity!
I think after the recent changes (18 percent gratuity for specialty dining, additional 3 percent gratuity for bar service, raise in the DSC), some folks were looking for anything to continue to bash NCL and this rumor came at a good time.

So there was a one hour Andy Stuart led briefing on this last week? Possibly I missed it and if so I stand corrected. Every other promo since January ( and before) was introduced in a live webinar a week or so before new promo launch.

And, again, for all the koolaid drinkers- they "gave away" nothing. You paid for the promo with the sustematic price increases in proportion to the promo amount when it was launched.

I was not someone who said they gave away anything but I do know what I paid for and what I didn't. Not sure if a "KoolAid drinker" is someone loyal to a CL but I am pretty loyal now to NCL. I flirt with others but won't commit.

I know I saved a TON of money because we usually have drinks during the day and night (It was $1500 for the last cruise for drinks and pop for 4 ppl and we do not drink a lot.) So getting the UBP is a huge savings for us. $3100 for a suite for 4 and everything else we got was a giveaway to me. The same cruise today is $1000 more without the UBP I think. And before that it was higher with no incentives. Hence the reason I booked 2 days ago.

NCL does what any business does - I got a great deal and John Doe will pay enough to make up for my deal. I don't think it has anything to do with Koolaid to think you got a great deal.

No one said you and others didn't get a good deal.

It's the people who blindly defend a company even as it does some not so great things that get me. You can enjoy a product, even continue to use a producer but being completely blind to its flaws is sort of silly. That's all I meant by koolaid drinkers.

Its all about timing. ;)

This free wifi does NOT appeal to me since one of the the perks of me taking a cruise is to leave the world behind for a week. No email, no facebook.. no worrying about work.

That is exactly how I feel about "connection". I have taken some fabulous non-cruise vacations, but cruises with no connections are the most relaxing!