Cape Liberty/Bayonne Bridge

Nana57

Thinking of leaving out of Cape Liberty in August. Does anyone know when the Bayonne Bridge repairs will be completed? We live in Queens, NY and usually take this to the port.

Won't be done by August. Bridge closures continue - it's closed this weekend. There doesn't sem to be a firm schedule for these closures, so I'd be prepared to use either the Holland Tunnel or the Goethals Bridge.

The Bayonne Bridge closures affect the folks coming from Brookkyn, Queens, and other parts of Long Island.

However, you have to monitor the traffic reports. The Exit 14A toll plaza is under construction. The Pukaski skyway is closed this weekend which affects the turnpike extension. Leave early.

Take the 59th Street Bridge to the FDR South - loop around the battery and head through the holland, it is essentially a reverse commute through the holland heading outbound. You will be fine.

Edited by StingBeanz

Why not the Lincoln Tunnel to the south NJ Turnpike?

Holland Tunnel is closer to the port. You can get on the turnpike extension at the end if the tunnel and approach Exit 14A from exit 14C. It's usually faster to take the FDR Drive and loop around the tip of Manhattan than to go across Manhattan on locals street.

The OP is coming from Queens, but they didn't say where in Queens. The route through NYC would be different if they're coming in the Belt Parkway, but it would still involve taking the Holland Tunnel.

I have to disagree with you all. We live on Long Island and have a house in south Jersey and take the LIE to the midtown tunnel and make an easy trek across Manhattan to the Lincoln Tunnel probably 2 to 3 times a month. Forget the Belt and Staten Island...the worst road in the world. And the Holland tunnel....almost impossible to get into with traffic. No, sorry, we will take the Lincoln Tunnel to the New Jersey Turnpike.

I have to disagree with you all. We live on Long Island and have a house in south Jersey and take the LIE to the midtown tunnel and make an easy trek across Manhattan to the Lincoln Tunnel probably 2 to 3 times a month. Forget the Belt and Staten Island...the worst road in the world. And the Holland tunnel....almost impossible to get into with traffic. No, sorry, we will take the Lincoln Tunnel to the New Jersey Turnpike.

What time of day and day of the week are we talking? Because if it's during the week during working hours or a Friday or Saturday night or any Sunday with a parade going crosstown often takes me longer than coming from LI thru the midtown tunnel

I always went on the BQE to the Verrazano and it went thru Staten Island to the Bayonne Bridge. Are there any signs directing you towards Port Liberty after getting off the Verrazano Bridge?

I always went on the BQE to the Verrazano and it went thru Staten Island to the Bayonne Bridge. Are there any signs directing you towards Port Liberty after getting off the Verrazano Bridge?

I live on Staten Island and frequently use the Bayonne Bridge, it is under major reconstruction (raising the bridge) that will not be done anytime soon. There are constant closure usually Monday to Friday from 9AM to 3 PM and sometimes for the whole weekend. Use the link to get the latest updates.

http://www.panynj.gov/alerts-advisories/advisories-bayonne-bridge.html

For those coming over the Verrazano Bridge you need to go over the Goethals Bridge when the Bayonne Bridge is closed. Then take the NJ Turnpike North to exit 14 ABC and get off at exit 14A, then proceed to take NJ 440 S. At this point there is plenty of singe directing you to Cape Liberty. From the Goethals Bridge to Cape Liberty should take about 20 minutes with NO traffic. Do allow extra time for traffic especially during the week exit where 14 ABC is very busy.

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Goethals+Bridge,+Staten+Island,+NY/Cape+Liberty+Cruise+Port,+Port+Terminal+Boulevard,+Bayonne,+NJ/@40.6842822,-74.2169686,12z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m13!4m12!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c24d22eac6f567:0x347f5333d7ed015d!2m2!1d-74.195978!2d40.635381!1m5!1m1!1s0x89c251e6aaaaaaab:0x7e3598347b19bfb1!2m2!1d-74.073947!2d40.664644

I will be going to Cape Liberty from Providence of a Saturday (May 30th) and my GPS stated to go straight down 95....Does this sound correct? This is my first time driving to NJ. Any advice would be appreciated!!

When you get down into Connecticut you want to cut over to the Merritt Parkway. I do not advise taking I95 through NYC.

Directions from Mass

If you come out the Mass Pike, you pick up I84 west in Auburn and I91 south in Hartford. You take exit 17 marked W Cross Parkway. This becomes the Merritt Parkway wt Milford.

If you come down I95 there is a cutover to the Merritt at Milford CT exit 38. At Rye NY there is another cutover to the Hutchinson River Parkway South exit 21 immediately after exit 1 in CT. This cutover is longer than the one at Milford and involves getting off onto I287 West and following the signs to the Merritt/Hutch. You get off onto a service road, go through a few lights and take the turn for the Hutch south.

The Merritt Pkwy becomes the Hutchinson River Pkwy at the NY/CT line. From the Hutch take exit 15 in New Rochelle to get on the Cross County Pkwy. Stay in the middle left lane, which will become the left lane when the road "scrunches". This leads onto the Saw Mill River Pkwy South which becomes the Henry Hudson Pkwy at the NYC line ($5 toll - if no EZPass they will bill you in the mail and you need to pay it!). The toll is worth every penny.

You take the George Washington Bridge exit (left exit - stay in right lane of the exit) and once on the bridge you slide over to the middle left lane. Follow the NJ Turnpike signs. When you get on the turnpike, follow the first set of Lincoln Tunnel signs to get on the eastern spur of the turnpike, but don't get off at the actual tunnel exit. Continue on to exit 14-14A-14B-14C and follow the signs to exit 14A.

The are no trucks on this route from Meriden CT to the GW Bridge and you will avoid any traffic issues on the Cross Bronx Expressway or the intersection with I87.

At exit 14A please follow these directions. Others have followed them successfully. The signage is poor. There are lots of choices and you have to make a quick decision as to where you are going. For a first timer there's not time to stop and try to spot the correct little sign and I'm not sure the names of all the streets are clearly marked. GPS is not 100% reliable in this area.

After you pay your toll you go straight across the toll plaza and get on a 2 lane ramp that goes up and curves left. This is hard to miss. On the ramp you stay on the right and make the first right, stay to the right and make another right. You will come to the light at route 440 where you will make a left, stay left, and make a left at the first light onto Goldsborough Drive. Route 440 is a four lane divided highway. You can only turn left at a traffic light - going south the first light is now at Goldsborough Drive. The left turn into the port used to be at Port Terminal Blvd (and it still is coming the other way), but they shut down that turn fairly recently and made Goldsborough Drive the main port access road coming from the north. Goldsborough Drive will merge with Port Terminal Blvd. You will be able to see the ship and you just follow the crowd about 2 miles out to the ship.

Sully,

I dropped people off in NYC at the pier for Breakaway yesterday, and planned to head to Cape Liberty... NOT being the NYC driving scholar at ALL, I was THRILLED that I got to the Lincoln Tunnel quickly and easily, and got to Cape Liberty in say 20 minutes or so....this was probably between 10:45 and 11:15 AM.. I didn't really look at the clock...was watching the looney drivers... BUT really I HATE driving in NYC and it was easy peasy.

NO traffic really to the pier in Bayonne either...by the time I got there all departing pax were gone....so I breezed in. That said, I'd prefer to be there earlier so there might be more traffic near Cape Liberty if you're there an hour earlier than I was.....but it was 1000000% better than I expected!!

Sully,

I dropped people off in NYC at the pier for Breakaway yesterday, and planned to head to Cape Liberty... NOT being the NYC driving scholar at ALL, I was THRILLED that I got to the Lincoln Tunnel quickly and easily, and got to Cape Liberty in say 20 minutes or so....this was probably between 10:45 and 11:15 AM.. I didn't really look at the clock...was watching the looney drivers... BUT really I HATE driving in NYC and it was easy peasy.

NO traffic really to the pier in Bayonne either...by the time I got there all departing pax were gone....so I breezed in. That said, I'd prefer to be there earlier so there might be more traffic near Cape Liberty if you're there an hour earlier than I was.....but it was 1000000% better than I expected!!

Thank you !! lincoln tunnel it is!!

I'd check traffic reports on radio stations WCBS 880 and 1010 WINS before deciding. It's also easy to get to the Holland Tunnel, which is a shorter total drive and will actually leave you closer to Cape Liberty than the Lincoln Tunnel. But, mileage isn't the best determinant, traffic is. Under ideal conditions using either route can take as little as 25 or 30 minutes.

Thanks for the directions. I'll take the Goethals Bridge when going to Cape Liberty.

This is unnecessary if the Bayonne Bridge is open. You only need to take the Goethals if the Bayonne Bridge is closed. It will add about a half hour to your trip. Check for a bridge closing schedule a couple of days before.