Sabatini's vs. Crowne Grill

sciteach11

My fiancé and I would like to take in one or two specialty meals while we're on board. Is one of these restaurants better than the other? We both love Italian, so we will definitely go to Sabatini's. He likes steak so I'm sure he'd love the grill, but I'm a vegetarian - will there be any food for me worth the entry price? Or would it be better to just go to Sabatini's twice? Thanks!

My fiancé and I would like to take in one or two specialty meals while we're on board. Is one of these restaurants better than the other? We both love Italian, so we will definitely go to Sabatini's. He likes steak so I'm sure he'd love the grill, but I'm a vegetarian - will there be any food for me worth the entry price? Or would it be better to just go to Sabatini's twice? Thanks!

Food is subjective. There are quite a few threads on this very subject. What one may like you may not. I would do each one. ;)

There are photos sample menus floating around too.

We did both on the Star last week...we weren't over the moon, need to do it again with either one, but definitely enjoyed Sabatini's more. Everything there was delicious! (Crown Grill does have an awesome black and blue soup though!) If you have the time, I highly recommend the Ultimate Balcony Dining--we did this for dinner as we were leaving Loreto...it was a wonderful experience from start to finish! And that we would do again in a heartbeat!!

My daughter is vegetarian and joined us in the grill. They treated her like royalty and made her what she said was her second best meal of the cruise - the first was the special meal they made her at sabatinis 😊

Sabatinis will make you a steak and lobster dinner as good as the steak house. When you make your reservation let them know. Its not on the menu but they will do it. Or just a great steak.

I would normally have said Crown Grill for sure but two weeks ago on the Caribbean Princess we did both. At Sabatini's I stopped at the appetizer and pasta (and we shared some calamari) and I didn't order the entrée. I thought it was wonderful. I've never been a fan of their entrees so I just took it out of the equation. It was early on in the cruise (first formal night) and the Crown Grill was the 2nd formal night. It was good (and the lobster was very good) but I think I was tired of big meals and lots of rich foods. It would be hard to eat at Crown Grill as a vegetarian but you certainly do it at Sabatini's. Great burrata as an app and manicotti as the pasta dish.

You can't go wrong with either and they will certainly work with you for any special meals.

Edited by AZ Ocean Lover

One of the worst meals I have ever had was in the Crown Grill on the Golden Princess. Terrible waiter. Terrible food.

We've done the Sabatini experience on several different ships. Never disappointed.

Very personal, but we studied the menus carefully and we decided to do our first speciality this past cruise. We loved the food and service on the Ruby, highly worth the surcharge.

I would have been game for Italian as well, but we found the Italian passable in the main dining room, the steak and fish not so much, thus I'm biased to CG.

Sabatini's is Northern Italian food and is wonderful! :)

LuLu

Yes, short on the red sauce. I prefer Crown Grill myself. I love the lamb chop there. I also like the sides. Either restaurant will be a nice treat. They both have beautiful decor and attentive service. Look at some of the menus posted here somewhere.

One of the worst meals I have ever had was in the Crown Grill on the Golden Princess. Terrible waiter. Terrible food.

We've done the Sabatini experience on several different ships. Never disappointed.

I think it's really dependent on the ship - 18 months ago we we didn't care for Crown Grill on Golden and loved Sabatini's. Then the Sabatini's menu changed and we didn't think it was for the better. So we gave Crown Grill another try in April and thought it was very good, not out of this world but a nice experience.

On Crown, we thought that Crown Grill was out of this world - it seemed that the cuts of meat were better than on Golden (and both ships were sailing from LA so presumably got their supplies from the same place). Sabatini's was just ok.

So try both.:D

Edited by critterchick

If you like seafood then Sabatini's is the obvious choice. If you don't like seafood, while there are one or possibly two items you can order at Sabatini's, be warned that the whole restaurant will reek of seafood (smells like ass).

For us the Crown Grill is perfect.

Another option is to splurge on the Ultimate Balcony Dinner. It's $100 per couple and includes cocktails, flowers, half bottle of champagne, and a photo in addition to a wonderful meal. I'm sure they could arrange to make it vegetarian for you.

Don't forget to eat at the Crown Grill when it's changed into a British Pub. No charge and it has British lunch specials. Yummy!

It depends on the ship. Sometimes they use the Wheelhouse bar. The Pub lunch is not vegetarian friendly. That's one thing Princess could do to improve things, provide a vegetarian option. Otherwise, you're right. There are some good things to eat at the pub lunch.

It depends on the ship. Sometimes they use the Wheelhouse bar. The Pub lunch is not vegetarian friendly. That's one thing Princess could do to improve things, provide a vegetarian option. Otherwise, you're right. There are some good things to eat at the pub lunch.

Yes!! The fish on the Emerald in March was the best! :)

I wouldn't waste your money.

I just got off the Emerald in Mid April- was my first time on Princess. I was really disappointed with the Crown. The food quality was not that good, I sent a steak back because it was tough, which made my SO wait for me to get a new steak. Plus the presentation stinks. I've dined at Palo on Disney and the Olympic on Celebrity - 3 times in each . The service was amazing and the presentation - I had a salad I took more time taking pictures of than eating because it was so beautifully presented.

The crown throws your sides in a bowl and says "here you go!". Presentation for steaks means your waiter slops some gravy on your plate. There wasn't even a garnish - just meat and sloppy gravy. The sirloin I ate in the MDR on the last night of my cruise was just as good as what I got in the crown and I didn't need to pay for it. This is why I say don't waste your money.

I think if you are going to pay for something it had better be really good and be more than dinner. It should be an event to remember. If I ever sail Princess again I won't spend extra for any restaurant.

I wouldn't waste your money.

I just got off the Emerald in Mid April- was my first time on Princess. I was really disappointed with the Crown. The food quality was not that good, I sent a steak back because it was tough, which made my SO wait for me to get a new steak. Plus the presentation stinks. I've dined at Palo on Disney and the Olympic on Celebrity - 3 times in each . The service was amazing and the presentation - I had a salad I took more time taking pictures of than eating because it was so beautifully presented.

The crown throws your sides in a bowl and says "here you go!". Presentation for steaks means your waiter slops some gravy on your plate. There wasn't even a garnish - just meat and sloppy gravy. The sirloin I ate in the MDR on the last night of my cruise was just as good as what I got in the crown and I didn't need to pay for it. This is why I say don't waste your money.

I think if you are going to pay for something it had better be really good and be more than dinner. It should be an event to remember. If I ever sail Princess again I won't spend extra for any restaurant.

Everyone certainly can and will have their own experience. You know how they tell you to discard the best and worst reviews.....;)

We've been to Crown Grill / Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's at least 10 times each. We've never experienced food, presentation or service similar to the above description. Give them both a try. Odds are you'll be happy you did. :)

Have a great cruise.

Everyone certainly can and will have their own experience. You know how they tell you to discard the best and worst reviews.....;)

We've been to Crown Grill / Sterling Steakhouse and Sabatini's at least 10 times each. We've never experienced food, presentation or service similar to the above description. Give them both a try. Odds are you'll be happy you did. :)

Have a great cruise.

Agree 100% with this.... Also in The Bayou on the Coral I was served the best Filet I have ever eaten! And I have dined in many fine steakhouses.

We always try to do both of the specialty restaurants on each cruise and with one exception (Bayou Café on the Island Princess) we have always been very pleased. We find the food to be quite a step up from the main dining room cuisine and worth the upcharge.

• 1 month later...
My daughter is vegetarian and joined us in the grill. They treated her like royalty and made her what she said was her second best meal of the cruise - the first was the special meal they made her at sabatinis

My sister is a vegetarian as well. I am a little worried about Sabatini's as there is only one pasta dish that she could have and no vegetarian entrees. Did they make her a special dish? How did you get that?