When did you find your "style"?

I have no style. I'm 45 and hate to shop for clothes. I try on one out fit and I'm done. It doesn't help I'm 110 miles from my local clothing stores either. I see people that I think look really nice. One lady in particular. But I know she spends a ton on clothes. My Mother in law also always looks nice but she had 3 closets full and goes through larger towns with shopping twice a week so she sees all the new stuff and has the patience to look. Safe to say she spends lots of $$$ on clothes too. Yes I know you don't have to spend a ton to look nice. I just don't have the patience.

My style.... I look like a teacher. Probably bc until this year for the last 7 I have been a teachers aide

Since childhood I have always had certain preferences - I can remember my favorite dress from about age 3 - it had a red velvet bodice and a black and white taffeta skirt. Another favorite was a red plaid corduroy dress. I still like fabrics with texture and still prefer black, red, and white over any other colors. I still prefer clothes get their interest from the fabric and not from extras such as lace trim , ruffles, etc. I prefer simple lines free of frills and extras - ex. flat, inset pockets instead of patch pockets, no flaps on pockets, no tabs on sleeves, epaulets on shoulders, etc. (I am petite and find these things overwhelming),

When I was in my 30's discovered "Color Me Beautiful" and learned about "seasons", confirming I was a classic Winter. This solidified my style and helped me build a cohesive wardrobe. I still shop my colors and this saves me quite a bit of time and money.

The older I get, the more I like simple lines and well fitting, understated pieces in "my" colors, Lots of black, my neutral. I use accessories to provide interest and to stay current.

I don't have one style:eek:.....I wear different things all the time and they

don't come under "One Ladder", if that makes sense. I know what I don't

like (on me) so I won't wear that style but I have alot of different things

I do like:)

I think I am still finding it. I have certain looks that I love and am drawn to and have only in the last couple of years found the courage to wear what I like regardless of whether it's trendy or in style. I tend to be drawn to blacks, reds, dark teals and love a hint of gothic. I spent years trying to fit into what everyone else wanted me to be, and now at 46 I am becoming who I want to be. It's invigorating.

I believe that your style can change during your lifetime. I recently turned 58 and and my style is undergoing a monumental shift. 19 months ago - in a quest to be a woman who ages with grace (sorry but I do not think dying your hair a flat blonde when you are in your 60's, 70's, 80's makes you look younger -- Florida blonde as I call it) - I stopped my hair coloring and chopped off my long, blonde hair ;). I'm NOT advocating it for everyone but for me it was liberating! I'm done trying to look younger - I want to look fabulous for my age!

Now many of my cosmetics (due to color) and clothes or accessories (color and style) no longer work for me - so I am purging things like crazy. My everyday - running around the house look remains much the same - athletic, very casual. The rest has changed to a simpler, less trendy more classic yet still casual look in colors that don't fight my sparkling silver and dark hair. Out are beiges, yellows, orange - which dull the bright white hairs - in are black, white, gray, red, blues and pastels of lavender or pink.

I've a new outfit for casual, fall which pretty much sums me up - JCrew flats - brown leather in the back, open mid-foot and leopard print, pointy toes, skinny jeans with a super bright neon red, wool blazer with stand up color over a white blouse. Classic but still "in".

I've recently read an wonderful booked called "Style Forever" by Alyson Walsh. Or the "grown up guide to looking fabulous". She calls them Style Tribes and helps you define which tribe you naturally are. I'm a Casual Glamour Puss, but there are Super Power Dressers, The Older and Bolder, The Gentle Woman, The Fabulous Femme, The Scandinista, The Ageless Rocker. Along with places to purchase for each style tribe and mistakes to avoid, she mentions style heroines for each type.

Edited by Jane2357

For me its all about the " Bling " ! I love love love Blouses, Tops, Dresses, Pants, Shoes with any kind of beadwork, sequins, rhinestones and/or combination. I've even taken clothes and added to them if I see a picture in the design & can play it up. Drawn to dark colors like black, brown, blues. Trying to add more color in here lately. My Daddy says I was a crow in a past life, attracted to shiney objects. LOL ! ;) I have always liked to play dress up, even wearing heels in high school. As a nurse I wear scrubs every day of the week so when I'm off I shine.

Probably when I was around 16, I developed my tatse for things not quite the norm, probably be called steampunk nowadays!

Through my 20/30s I quietened it down a little as I was required to wear very formal full uniform dress and suits regularly, I'd sneak in seamed stockings, killer shoes etc. In my down time I always had something 'really different to wear'. I was a bit vain and used to strut around loving the attention:o After one promotion my Colonel wrote to me congratulating me and he said at the end of the handwritten letter, and now you can buy some more fantastic dresses! Even as I went up the ranks I still was known for my style. I think being in uniform was a lot to do with it as there is no individuality whilst on duty. I didn't quite escape when I retired as I wear scrubs most of the week now!

In my 40s now and not too long retired from active service and I still like to have something a little different but not being the same shape as my younger days I am more thoughtful but still love bling!

I don't like sloane/preppy or anything too stuffy and I definitely don't do too much casual unless going to the beach/picnic/bbq type setting but I dress for the occasion where I can. I mainly like black but will generally wear any color apart from yellow or brown. Two things I will never wear are Crocs and capris but who knows what the next 20 years will bring!

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

Two things I will never wear are Crocs and capris but who knows what the next 20 years will bring!

I literally laughed out loud at this line. Thank you!!!

At least in my case, hitting mid-sixties made a difference. I always thought capris were horrible and know they don't flatter anyone but decided what the heck and bought some during a miserably hot summer. Not the baggy work-in-yard type but a bit more tailored. Comfort has become way more important than it used to be. However, I definitely still agree about Crocs! Keens are my favorite travel shoes.

After many years of wearing uniforms to Catholic school and looking like everyone else, I had a great time experimenting with clothing and finding my personal style. I found it by my mid twenties.

I consider myself classic with a bit of a sexy edge (age appropriate), and a tendency towards femininity.

My career wardrobe was based on classic suits and separates but in more unusual fabrics and colors than the standard navy, black, etc. Fitted skirts, slacks and jackets were always accessorized with great shoes and classy and unusual belts and jewelry.

I have been addicted to leopard prints for more than 30 years, watching animal prints go in and out of style while they remained a personal staple.

I prefer designer labels and buy good quality as I keep my investment pieces for a long time.

Nowadays I work from home and gravitate towards athletic wear in the daytime. For evenings out, a classic wrap dress, maxi, LBD for dressier occasions, or fitted black slacks and interesting tops are my preference. I enjoy wearing dramatic pieces that stand out. Great shoes are a given and I have an obsession with boots, not easily indulged since I live in the south.

I enjoy eclectic prints and fabrics and have always enjoyed fashion. Adapting my personal style and tastes as I age has been an interesting exercise.

Edited by caviargal

I am still searching for my "style" I still have my 'mom' body and my son is almost 3 [emoji33] I really want to save money and hire a stylist because I am not good with fashion or makeup or anything. I was raised by my single dad so beauty tips were never spoken of. I'm more of a t shirt and shorts with flip flops and a pony tail type of gal right now but I want to wear cute feminine things and look nice for my hubby.

That's when I found my style, more when I started cruising and was forced to take more interest in clothes. And I found my personal stylist: my daughter. She is great. She picks things I would never think of, nixes things I thought were ok, and I feel good about the results. She loves to buy clothes, where I have never been into it. My husband has some help too, though he gets stuck on baby pastel pink. Anything in that he is happy. I feel no confidence in my native style, whatever it is. I get compliments on what my daughter picks, and sometimes my husband's choices. I feel I have no talent in the field of clothes, so I defer to others!

I am still searching for my "style" I still have my 'mom' body and my son is almost 3 [emoji33] I really want to save money and hire a stylist because I am not good with fashion or makeup or anything. I was raised by my single dad so beauty tips were never spoken of. I'm more of a t shirt and shorts with flip flops and a pony tail type of gal right now but I want to wear cute feminine things and look nice for my hubby.

You don't need to save money to hire a stylist, some stores have people that will help you find something nice. You can start off with just a few pieces that don't age and go from there with accessories/shoes etc.

Nowadays Mr Google will be your best friend, you can get so many ideas and style from the www.

You can always go and get a makeup lesson but I would use a pro rather than the girls at the counters whose only goal is to sell sell sell. A great hair style, well cut, can make a huge difference too with appearance.

And of course we have the ladies on this section of the forum who are "into" fashion/beauty and we can help too with ideas. I will always tell the the truth if asked.

I think as we age things we said we would " never would be caught dead in " just go by the way side. Than again it may just be my Dementia talking ?!? LOL !! :p

I can categorically say I would not be caught dead in Crocs. (Well when that time comes I wouldn't know would I? So never say never, eek)!:D

I can categorically say I would not be caught dead in Crocs. (Well when that time comes I wouldn't know would I? So never say never, eek)!:D

3 out of 5 pairs of my cruise shoes are Crocs, but not their typical style of them. If you lookup Gianna Link ballet flat Mahogany/Bronze and Adrina flat black - they do look good for both beach/sundeck and NCL/Carnival MDR. [emoji4] The other one is the Kadee Ballet Flat - I needed beach shoes ASAP for 1st cruise.[emoji2]

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

3 out of 5 pairs of my cruise shoes are Crocs, but not their typical style of them. If you lookup Gianna Link ballet flat Mahogany/Bronze and Adrina flat black - they do look good for both beach/sundeck and NCL/Carnival MDR. [emoji4] The other one is the Kadee Ballet Flat - I needed beach shoes ASAP for 1st cruise.[emoji2]

You'll never convince me:p

You'll never convince me[emoji14]

Not trying to convince, said take a look - I don't think anyone here would buy if they were $10-20 on Amazon (which is exactly how I winded up with all 3).

Just as you'll never convince me to wear flip-flops or open-toe shoes - Never going to happen because of too many failures and injuries with those types of shoes on my feet. I've yet to have one of the crocs disintegrate or snap in 2 hours of wearing them like flip-flops have at the beach...

I think everyone has their own good reasons why particular styles /looks/items, they will never wear. But it doesn't hurt to see the look of those items, just to look. Never know; they might be an alternative to what one hates, just like what happen to me and flip-flops / open-toes shoes - Found Crocs, Bernie Mev and certain sandal styles.

Edited by maywell

Not trying to convince, said take a look - I don't think anyone here would buy if they were $10-20 on Amazon (which is exactly how I winded up with all 3).

Just as you'll never convince me to wear flip-flops or open-toe shoes - Never going to happen because of too many failures and injuries with those types of shoes on my feet. I've yet to have one of the crocs disintegrate or snap in 2 hours of wearing them like flip-flops have at the beach...

I think everyone has their own good reasons why particular styles /looks/items, they will never wear. But it doesn't hurt to see the look of those items, just to look. Never know; they might be an alternative to what one hates, just like what happen to me and flip-flops / open-toes shoes - Found Crocs, Bernie Mev and certain sandal styles.

It would be hard for you if you lived down here not to wear sandals or flip flops, luckily you probably don't have that problem in the Bronx. Saying that if I came to visit you I would have problems finding a closed in shoe that doesn't have a three to four inch heel. (I have over 250 pairs of shoes, so that is quite a failure on my part, lol)!

Variety is the spice of life, would be boring if we were all the same.:)

Edited by CELTICGIRLCRUISER

It would be hard for you if you lived down here not to wear sandals or flip flops, luckily you probably don't have that problem in the Bronx. Saying that if I came to visit you I would have problems finding a closed in shoe that doesn't have a three to four inch heel. (I have over 250 pairs of shoes, so that is quite a failure on my part, lol)!

When dealing with NYC in general - its good to have a variety of different types of shoes due to weather/season. Some people like to wear flip-flops and sandals to go to/ from work here especially on the buses and trains in the spring & summer - I just don't due to past experience with those shoes, whether it was overly crowded or not. I found my alternatives for summer / spring shoes and they work for me, you have your alternatives and they work for you - to each their own.

Oh, I sure you'll find shoes with 3-7 inches heels here - now finding a shoe that's under 2 inches that supports / cushions a size 10 foot that has no arches and has to look presentable at the same time, well that's a different matter.... That's what Amazon, Zulily & DSW is for. :)

I have a hard time finding clothes for my age group (55). I'm 5'1", 112 lbs (after losing 40 lbs & still losing, & need to stop now, due to health problems) and Petite clothes are hard to find. Always have been regarless of size. The Depatment Stores Petite dept. seems to get smaller every year with merchandise or the clothes to choose from look like my Moms age clothes. :confused:

Oh, I sure you'll find shoes with 3-7 inches heels here - now finding a shoe that's under 2 inches that supports / cushions a size 10 foot that has no arches and has to look presentable at the same time, well that's a different matter.... That's what Amazon, Zulily & DSW is for. :)

I meant finding a shoe in my own collection, I don't possess too many flat closed in shoes. I can quite believe you can find 7 inch heels in NY!

I do understand your issue with finding the right shoe for you not always being easy as in my school days I worked as a "Saturday girl" in a shoe store and we saw it all. I also come from a large city where all the business ladies used to wear beautifully tailored suits and gym shoes to hurry to and from work each day.

I've always known what colors looked best on me, so that part was easy. But as my body changes shape/sizes, it's always taken me a little while to experiment and find what works in this new phase. Sometimes, I just like what I like and wear it anyway. Other times, I try to look at what's appropriate for the different situations and go from there. I haven't worked in 3.5 years (hoping to change that soon), so that will be my next challenge - the work wardrobe!

Now, I didn't start wearing animal prints are sparkle until I was in my late 30s. But my animal prints are zebra, snow leopard, and sometimes a great grey/black snake print. I keep my jewelry simple in the summer because it's hot here. In winter is when the chunky stuff comes out.

You are indeed a true "footwear enthusiast!"

I have a hard time finding clothes for my age group (55). I'm 5'1", 112 lbs (after losing 40 lbs & still losing, & need to stop now, due to health problems) and Petite clothes are hard to find. Always have been regarless of size. The Depatment Stores Petite dept. seems to get smaller every year with merchandise or the clothes to choose from look like my Moms age clothes. :confused:

Yes , I agree. I am almost 63, 5' 1" and weigh about 100 lbs.

I just bagged up some of my old jeans and dropped them off at a thrift store because the waist cuts into my rib cage when I sit down. I usually buy the low rise jeans - they are a better fit. The petite department sells a lot of elastic waist pants - I hate them. I have tried sewing pants but can never get a good fit.

Regular Tshirts come down to my knees almost - I have tried cutting and hemming some but they never look quite as nice.