Has anyone tried the new Craft Beer, Sea Witch?

calisilent

Hi,

I'm a craft beer fan and wondering how the reviews are on Princess' craft beer offering of "Sea Witch"?:)

I'm also a craft beer snob and I love IPAs. I enjoyed Sea Witch. I ordered it a couple times. Personally, I think Sierra Nevada is better, but it was still good for the novelty

ry%3D480

I like it but it is definitely not the best. If they served FIrestone Union Jack, I'd be very happy.....:):):)

Bob

Actually, anything from Firestone-Walker would make me very happy, but their Double Barrel Ale (DBA) is my favorite. ;)

Hi,

I'm a craft beer fan and wondering how the reviews are on Princess' craft beer offering of "Sea Witch"?:)

I enjoy trying craft beers, and tried "Seawitch" on a recent Ruby cruise. I usually like ambers, and, at first, found this IPA a little hoppier than my tastebuds prefer. However, after a few sips my tastebuds adapted, and I ended up enjoying it, and will probably order it when I cruise again.

Meant to post on this thread when we disembarked. The missus, even more so than I, is a huge fan of 'hop bomb' PNW IPAs and even she had to admit this was a poorly-balanced, overly-bitter beer (and this from the woman who generally orders whatever the hoppiest beer on the menu is - the phrase 'bitter as the tears of orphaned children' has been uttered on more than one occasion).

I ballparked it as at least 80 IBU when I tasted it, so the 89 quoted above as being info direct from Strike seems quite believable - and at least 20 IBU more than the body of the beer justifies, totally overpowering the malt flavours. If Princess were hoping to convert lager-drinkers they should have gone for a much more accessible beer for their first attempt; if they were trying to entice beer snobs they should have just gone for a better beer.

Anyone tasting this as their first IPA - this is not a good example of the type. It's not even a good example of the much-hoppier-than-modern-British PNW style. Please do not be put off trying other IPAs because of this product! If you're on an Alaskan route, Alaskan Brewing IPA is a much better example of a typical modern American IPA - which is why I'd be stopping selling it if I were a Princess decision maker, 'cos it makes the Sea Witch look even worse than it actually is!

Actually, anything from Firestone-Walker would make me very happy, but their Double Barrel Ale (DBA) is my favorite. ;)

Their DBA is definitely tasty. UJ is my favorite with DBA and 805 being tied for 2nd.....:):):)

Bob

Their DBA is definitely tasty. UJ is my favorite with DBA and 805 being tied for 2nd.....:):):)

Bob

We live 45 minutes from the brewery, so it's easy to find them at the store. I need to take a tour - I understand their restaurant is pretty good, plus some of their limited availability concoctions can only be purchased at the brewery.

Forgive my ignorance, but what is British PNW?

My bad, I should have used clearer grammar: PNW is Pacific North West (OR/WA/BC, sometimes ID and SW Alaska) and I was trying to indicate that IPAs from here are "much-hoppier-than-modern-British" in style since there were several posters who seemed more familiar with UK beers. Although I do like SBJs suggestion as there are several breweries here in the PNW that do make some quite authentic British style beers!

• 3 weeks later...

From what I understand, they're going to be debuting a Seawitch "Denali Red" brewed by Alaskan Brewing Company for the Alaska season. I'll certainly have a taste on my Alaska cruise in August... :)

That's good to know, because Alaskan Amber is the best beer I've had on any Princess ship.

Edited by UpcountryTravelers

I tried this on our round Britain Royal 21May2June. and quite liked it.

It is very bitter but that's OK for me I like that in my beer.

Also small at 12oz but 6% so at the higher end of alcohol as well.

Ended up drinking it all cruise as there are no alternatives on the ship

Don't like Boddies(probably the cheapest canned beer in the UK, if you don't count supermarket brands.)

Like Guinness but plenty of that ashore and don't like drinking that every day.

The issue was it is $6.25 more than the all other options, on the last day sometime between 3-4 and the 11-12 happy hours the price dropped to $5.95.

I just collected bottles at happy hour for other times.

This made it £2.17 a bottle using the pre purchased(@1.66) OBC, the new price $5.95 would make it £2.06

A pint(UK) in my local is £1.99 so drinking on the ship is still not cheap.

I just tried it on my 10 night Golden cruise, not my favorite IPA, very much toward the bitter end of the spectrum. Still, happy to see craft beer being offered on board and I am positive that those who like bitter IPAs will love this brew.

Alaska20150009.jpg