Best time of year to cruise?

mimxmom

What are the best months to cruise as far as caribbean weather goes? I like to be able to get my tan going the first day that I get on the ship. Also, what are the best months to avoid rain/weather delays.

Edited by mimxmom

It rains a lot of days in the Caribbean, but generally only for short periods of time. The exception to this is during tropical storms and related systems, when it can rain for days. Hurricane season runs June-November. If you're concerned for bad weather, that's a bad time to sail. That said, the very cheapest month to cruise tends to be September and October, and if there is no tropical weather system nearby it will generally be hot and sunny then too.

Your very best bet for great weather is probably April-June. before that sometimes it can be cool, even down in the Caribbean.

In my opinion, the best month to cruise is September. As kids go back to school, the prices go way down, and the number of people on the ship is way less than in the summer or over spring break. The temperatures are great at this time of year. However, this is not the best time to cruise for a specific itinerary, because it is smack dab in the middle of hurricane season, and the chance of an itinerary change or a shortened or unintentional prolonged cruise goes way up.

I should add in response to jcearth that my wife and I always cruised in September until our daughter was school-aged, because fares are rock-bottom. You do run the risk of itinerary changes and delayed boarding or debarkation in the event of tropical weather.

We went on a Repo last November from Boston to NOLA. Except for a couple of days in the Atlantic, it was hot as He** the rest of the cruise. Great sunbathing weather. At a most of the ports were to hot to enjoy. We welcomed the random rain shower just to cool off.

We generally pick the first couple weeks in December or January. Have always had great weather.

Have never heard of sailing delays due to rain in the Caribbean. Doesn't happen. Hurricanes may cause re-routing, but extremely rare for a delay.

Ships are in the Caribbean year around. A little cooler in December / January is about the only real difference.

If you want to start your tan the day you sail, you need to sail from a southern port. This is assuming you are coming from a cold climate. But then, why would someone up north leave their summer to come to a hotter, more humid place? EM

We like to cruise at the end of January. Kids are back in school after holiday breaks and, being from WI, it helps break up our winter. We've had brief rain showers, but otherwise, the sun is shining and temps have been in the 80s on most of our cruises - much better than -20 and snow!

If you want to start your tan the day you sail, you need to sail from a southern port. This is assuming you are coming from a cold climate. But then, why would someone up north leave their summer to come to a hotter, more humid place? EM

Because we like hot weather and don't get it year round, so we will soak it up as much and as often as possible. :-) My parents are frequent cruisers, but mix in trips to Las Vegas, Florida, Aruba and other places. They love the 100+ degree temps in Vegas in the summer! Dry heat, but still. They like the heat!

We sailed last year in August. The captain had to divert the ship due to Hurricane Bertha. We missed our stop at the private island. But the captain was able to find us smooth seas and sunny skies on that day, which beats being in a tropical storm.

Our favorite month to go has been December. Ever since DH started teaching at a community college, we're tied to his school break schedule. Some years, though, we can manage to get a cruise that fits his break and doesn't include the holidays. It's a lot cheaper to sail the week before Christmas than it is to sail during Christmas.

It depends where home is. Being from Connecticut, I'm happy here from April to October, but really want to get away as much as possible November to March -- when the Caribbean is at its best: hurricane season is essentially past and the oppressive summer heat has eased - and, no, it does not get chilly in the Caribbean as some posters say. Shoulder season - mid October through November is great in Europe as the crowds are gone and the T/A home is close to as cheap as flying.

Most of our Caribbean cruises have been in March or April- at the end of a long Maine winter. We have had good weather most of the time (some windy days) - quite warm, but not hot and muggy.

We especially like the Southern Caribbean itineraries for the beaches.