San Pedro to LAX

beachfanatic

Can anyone recommend a hotel before our Ruby Princess cruise out of San Pedro. Also, appreciate opinions if can make a 11:30 am flight from san pedro to LAX, walking off or transfers?

Not sure about hotels but have taken many cruises out of San Pedro and flew in an out of LAX.

Yes, you can absolutely make an 11:30 flight ... or you could be stuck in traffic or long security lines and not make it. I wouldn't recommend it even though you may get to the airport early and be frustrated that you booked a later flight.

If you go with the early flight, definitely ask to be on the first walk off group. I don't think the Princess transfers will guarantee a flight time that early. LAX is about 30-45 minutes from San Pedro in light traffic. Last time there, the security line took a couple of hours. We always feel safer booking a flight after 1 PM.

Can anyone recommend a hotel before our Ruby Princess cruise out of San Pedro. Also, appreciate opinions if can make a 11:30 am flight from san pedro to LAX, walking off or transfers?

We always stay in Long Beach because we dislike the 2 main choices in San Pedro. LB is a short cab ride from San Pedro.

We always take a 10:30 flight home after our cruise. We always do the first self walk off group by 7:30 and are at LAX by 8:30am-9:00am. This can de delayed so have a backup plan, later flight etc in mind. Don't take a transfer!!! Cab is approx. $60-$70.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I was on a Coastal cruise in April. I took the princess transfer after the cruise. The bus left at 9:30 AM and by 10:30, I was sitting at the gate for my airplane! It was a Saturday morning, there was no traffic; I was the last drop off, and security was a breeze. Go figure.

I also stayed at the Crowne Plaza pre cruise and had a view of the Princess ships. It was fine, not exceptional but very convenient. The thermostat in the room fell off the wall when I tried to adjust the room temperature but the bed and pillows were fantastic. And very convenient to the port. I was able to stroll around the waterfront and went for a Mexican dinner at Acapulco, ate outside with a water view. It was very nice.

The West Coast departures board may give you more info than you will get here.

I can't recommend a hotel other than to say I'd try avoid one near LAX itself as I don't consider the area safe if you like to walk around.

The freeways are always a crapshoot, and LAX usually busy, so I think 11:30 could be very tight but I'll defer to others who have done this more frequently.

We recently did the West Coast run on the Crown and did the self walk off, we used a Super Shuttle to get to LAX and were sitting inside the gate waiting for our flight by 10 am. No rushing no issues...all went real smooth. We booked a 12:50 flight back to Canada because when booking the cruise Princess offered flights and they did not recommend any flights before ours so I booked it but next time I would venture to do a pre noon flight.

As others have said the Crown Plaza is the most convenient and closest. You could almost walk to the ship. Nothing special but for one night it's ok. If money is no object you can stay on the Queen Mary in Long Beach but then you have the extra taxi ride back to San Pedro.

LA traffic can change in an instant. It's a crapshoot and a gamble. While some people have said, "No problem," anyone who lives in the LA area and deals with freeway traffic will say, "Not so fast! You've been lucky!"

I've disembarked a lot of times in San Pedro and often, walk-off didn't start until after 8:30am. I've seen the 405 a total parking lot, including the HOV lane, and I can't tell you how many times LAX has been gridlocked and it's taken over half an hour to get from the entrance to my terminal.

If you book an 11:30am flight, make sure you have a back-up plan. I'd book SuperShuttle to LAX rather than a cab. Much cheaper and the vans fill up quickly outside the cruise terminal.

if flying in.... take the free shuttle to the Marriott at the airport... great hotel several restraunts..all good and reasonable. relax there are 2 things to do in San Pedro...and one of them is LEAVE!

Next morning take a taxi,shuttle or limo all about the same price from the Marriott to the pier. The Limo is best..about $80 including tip...

San Pedro, or" Pedro " as it its known localy is not a great place hotels and area pretty run down....HIGH crime area... don't go out at night.

Long beach nicer, however the fare to Long Beach and then long beach to the pier will not be $$$ wise. Stay at the airport ...relax Marriott good place great beds and a good exec lounge too....

You can be off the ship before 8.... and 45 min to Lax....even on the surface.. so no worries either way be at check n by 9am...

We've made the 11 am flight from LAX to Chicago. You must self disembark ASAP and walk fast to the taxi line. Taxis are lined up waiting for you. We've been lucky but you should have a backup plan, know the flight schedules to your destination just in case.

I love Uber but I would not wait for them to arrive, grab the taxi and go.

Edited by sammiedawg

We've made the 11 am flight from LAX to Chicago. You must self disembark ASAP and walk fast to the taxi line. Taxis are lined up waiting for you. We've been lucky but you should have a backup plan, know the flight schedules to your destination just in case.

I love Uber but I would not wait for them to arrive, grab the taxi and go.

I agree, taxi only, no shuttle. Too many chances to be delayed.

As someone who commuted for years on the 405 freeway and have also been caught in traffic jams on the same freeway on weekends, I wouldn't advise anyone to risk missing a flight (unless they have a great Plan B that won't cost them extra) just because some people say "oh, no problem with a morning flight."

I've been on a cruise out of LA on which disembarkation started some 45 minutes late. Others have reported the full customs and immigration treatment on theirs.

Not cruise related, but just had family stay at the Double Tree Cabrillo Marina for several days in March, which is another choice besides the Crowne Plaza San Pedro. I recommended the Double Tree b/c of proximate location to another family member, but got very concerned after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. So, I went and checked it out. The location is wonderful. The hotel is well into a renovation, and the staff was very pleasant and understood my concerns. My sister actually called the manager prior to their stay and was assured if they were not happy with anything to please talk to the front desk.

My family ended up sticking with their reservations, and enjoyed their stay immensely. They like to walk and the marina and shoreline provided plenty of spectacular walking and views. Breakfast on the back deck overlooking the marina is delightful. My uncle and I have since met there several times for breakfast. Would recommend the Double Tree again.

Not cruise related, but just had family stay at the Double Tree Cabrillo Marina for several days in March, which is another choice besides the Crowne Plaza San Pedro. I recommended the Double Tree b/c of proximate location to another family member, but got very concerned after reading reviews on TripAdvisor. So, I went and checked it out. The location is wonderful. The hotel is well into a renovation, and the staff was very pleasant and understood my concerns. My sister actually called the manager prior to their stay and was assured if they were not happy with anything to please talk to the front desk.

My family ended up sticking with their reservations, and enjoyed their stay immensely. They like to walk and the marina and shoreline provided plenty of spectacular walking and views. Breakfast on the back deck overlooking the marina is delightful. My uncle and I have since met there several times for breakfast. Would recommend the Double Tree again.

Thanks for your comments! I arranged a group rate there for our cruise critic group in October. So far we have about 30 rooms booked so I am glad to hear that it is good! I had stayed there a few years ago and thought it was good, but had read some not-so-positive reviews. Thanks for the update on the hotel/renovations.

As someone who commuted for years on the 405 freeway and have also been caught in traffic jams on the same freeway on weekends' date=' I wouldn't advise anyone to risk missing a flight (unless they have a great Plan B that won't cost them extra) just because some people say "oh, no problem with a morning flight."

I've been on a cruise out of LA on which disembarkation started some 45 minutes late. Others have reported the full customs and immigration treatment on theirs.[/quote']

I totally agree with you. Like you I traveled for many years on the 405, 710,605 and the dreaded Santa Ana freeway. You never know what to expect.:)