Del Rio's EXACT comments on the recent Fees and Price Increases

Kenlorz

We have been cruising now for the past 6 years or so, mostly with NCL...We have never had a suite before, always booked a mini suite, we are looking forward to what a suite has to offer, truth is, we have no idea anymore what having a suite offers...My question is simple; do we not have to use room service and or does everything go "through" the Butler"...???I've been reading these threads and to be honest (we're booked for 2016, booked before the 1 May deadline so we do have the UDP as well as the UBP) At this point I have no idea what to expect...???By using the Butler do we still incur the room service fees...???Perhaps someone might provide some clarity for me as to what I might expect...

Not mad, not angry but I am disappointed in how this all was handled and still being "handled"...

Thanks,

Rob

From what has been posted...suites do not incur room service charges..(.it does go through the butler)

Celebrity IMHO forced NCL to counter attack after booking so many cruises with their "freebie packages" early 2014. They started this wildly successful program well over a year ago and finally NCL woke up and began their own offering very late in 2014. Now both of these cruise lines are looking at ways to rebuild margins since both alcohol sales and dining room upsells are (were?) a major part of profitability.

For the most part these changes do not dramatically impact your total cruise cost. My wife and I will gladly still cruise both lines and maybe pick up a few more after others cancel; please do not let these adjustments ruin the fun of cruising for you!

I think ultimately that is Del Rio's goal, especially in light of his comments regarding NCL position to capitalize on the premium market segment.

I have listened to the conference call in question and missed this statement. Could you please direct me to the time stamp in the call where this is said, I don't want to listen to the whole thing again.

"that recognize the power of the captive audience that you have"

Those words are the key to what JDR thinks and what he is doing.

As long as he believes in his "captive audience" he will continue to push the envelope.

As long his audience continues to be there (book cruises), so will the push to milk as much as you can from them.

I remember the documentary that was made on NCL ships a few years ago and Andy Stuart said the liquor sales, shore excursions, and other onboard sales were the critical factors in determining if a cruise would be financially successful.

Now, they are giving these things as incentives for booking along with the DSC, OBC, UDP, etc.

The logic escapes me. Are those factors right, or were they not right when they made the documentary ???

The surge in booking a couple of months ago was prompted by the massive "giveaways" and made the statistics look good for Del Rio's speech, so when that scenario plays out, where will NCL be financially ??

Edited by swedish weave

I remember the documentary that was made on NCL ships a few years ago and Andy Stuart said the liquor sales, shore excursions, and other onboard sales were the critical factors in determining if a cruise would be financially successful.

Now, they are giving these things as incentives for booking along with the DSC, OBC, UDP, etc.

The logic escapes me. Are those factors right, or were they not right when they made the documentary ???

The surge in booking a couple of months ago was prompted by the massive "giveaways" and made the statistics look good for Del Rio's speech, so when that scenario plays out, where will NCL be financially ??

I posed the self same question recently on one of the myriad threads. The New Charge Line (No Carryout Line:rolleyes:) cheerleaders were spookily silent.

Edited by SteveH2508

So true....makes me wonder where NCL will be next year and beyond....

I have listened to the conference call in question and missed this statement. Could you please direct me to the time stamp in the call where this is said, I don't want to listen to the whole thing again.

Nevermind, I found it myself

"These reinvestments are crucial if we are to entice past guests to return more frequently and also lure slightly more affluent and discerning first-time guests to Norwegian who will be willing to pay more to vacation aboard our fabulous ships."

Except his 3 other affluent lines are running already in dark red inks even without the new ships on order. The Florida ports are full of mega ships doing circles. What's he smoking lately? Cuba runs??

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

You know you just cut off your nose despite your face? Suites are exempt from most of the changes as your butler can bring you any food you like, whenever you like.

I was very much aware of this fact. But if we don't stand up to the school yard bully, we may be rowing the boat soon. I was very clear with NCL why I was cancelling perhaps if they see people that are not heavily affected by these changes cancel they will wake up

Except his 3 other affluent lines are running already in dark red inks even without the new ships on order. The Florida ports are full of mega ships doing circles. What's he smoking lately? Cuba runs??

sent from my Google Nexus 5/7 MD via Tapatalk

Who are you talking about? Certainly not Mr. Del Rio, as he does not have "3 other affluent lines", nor are Oceania and Regent "running in the dark in red ink", nor are there "new ships on order", only one new ship, the Regent Explorer. NCL is buying Ocean Princess and renovating it for Oceania to operate.

Finally, the comment about mega ships is confusing; none of the Oceana or Regent ships are larger than 1250 passengers and most are smaller. All of the NCL mega ships on order were ordered by the previous administration; FDR is on record as stating there will be no ore mega ships until all of these are properly home ported and operating at capacity.

Who are you talking about? Certainly not Mr. Del Rio, as he does not have "3 other affluent lines", nor are Oceania and Regent "running in the dark in red ink", nor are there "new ships on order", only one new ship, the Regent Explorer. NCL is buying Ocean Princess and renovating it for Oceania to operate.

Finally, the comment about mega ships is confusing; none of the Oceana or Regent ships are larger than 1250 passengers and most are smaller. All of the NCL mega ships on order were ordered by the previous administration; FDR is on record as stating there will be no ore mega ships until all of these are properly home ported and operating at capacity.

SEC filings belie your comments about Oceania and Regent not running in red ink. The filings show losses.

When NCLH "Purchased" those lines, they assumed well over two billion in debt as part of that transaction.

Nevermind, I found it myself

"These reinvestments are crucial if we are to entice past guests to return more frequently and also lure slightly more affluent and discerning first-time guests to Norwegian who will be willing to pay more to vacation aboard our fabulous ships."

I would read "slightly more affluent and discerning first time guests" to mean passengers on competition generally viewed as having more affluent cruisers such as RCI. Not upscale, not luxury, but simply "slightly more affluent". NCLH already has two lines and the ships to attract the upscale or luxury passengers away from Crystal.

Everyone seems to gloss over the phrase about enticing past guests to return. "More changes" could be good for some of us, especially since the ones complained about here so far don't seem too bad to my cruising style.

I would read "slightly more affluent and discerning first time guests" to mean passengers on competition generally viewed as having more affluent cruisers such as RCI. Not upscale, not luxury, but simply "slightly more affluent". NCLH already has two lines and the ships to attract the upscale or luxury passengers away from Crystal.

Everyone seems to gloss over the phrase about enticing past guests to return. "More changes" could be good for some of us, especially since the ones complained about here so far don't seem too bad to my cruising style.

If you are willing to let NCL charge you more for your cruise, go for it.

Some of us don't agree to let someone get their hands in our wallets without us getting value for the cost.

The way NCL has been changing things lately, it reminds me of the old fable about the camel getting his nose into your tent. Pretty soon, the whole camel will be in there.

I was very much aware of this fact. But if we don't stand up to the school yard bully, we may be rowing the boat soon. I was very clear with NCL why I was cancelling perhaps if they see people that are not heavily affected by these changes cancel they will wake up

Good for you. I would cancel as well, but for the fact that we have a group, and it just isn't feasible. As for not being affected by the changes, everyone is affected. If one thinks this won't expand, they are very naive!

Check out the yacht club on MSC. Also, most of the mainstream lines are adding private restaurants, lounges, etc for suite passengers. The days of NCL offering "more" than the others seem to be over.

Edited by SissasMomE

We were just in a suite, with plans to go again. I have no faith in suites remaining exempt from these changes. Especially if they're so known as being a bargain compared to everyone else's suites. Lots of room.

SEC filings belie your comments about Oceania and Regent not running in red ink. The filings show losses.

When NCLH "Purchased" those lines, they assumed well over two billion in debt as part of that transaction.

And with that therein lies the question - all this debt - is FDR expecting us to pay it off for him.

Certainly would not want it to come out of his own pocket or the Board of Directors and stockholders who made the business decision.

Got this neat idea to have the "Captive Audience" pay the bill through all those fancy fees; surcharges and promos which with the increased fares you

wind up paying the same if not more and then the calculated risk of the consumer not using all the promo benefits thus more added revenue.

I am surprised that with this rush to pay off the debt that NCL & FDR haven't resorted to pay telephone service and toilets and tolls to go ashore and life

vest rental fees and the epitomy of insult a mandatory fee to attend the life boat muster.

Appears that NCL & FDR are sailing upstream against the current and trying to run the ship of state over a falls (Whoops that is not possible running up

stream) !

Oh well dream the impossible dream and fight some windmills there is a mad man at the helm wanting your money and dreams!

And with that therein lies the question - all this debt - is FDR expecting us to pay it off for him.

But isn't that how all businesses work. A business doesn't pay for anything (they don't pay overhead, they don't pay employee salaries, they don't pay manufactures for the products they sell, etc.), their customers pay for everything with the profit the company makes off them....it is just how business works.

Also, wasn't Mr. Sheehan in control when they acquired all this debt.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Also do not know what "three other affluent lines" FDR is affiliated with (there are only two). I do find it interesting that if you count all of the posters that state they are having a difficult time with the changes, it would not fill one ship (not even Regent's smallest ship which holds 490). Out of the thousands of people sail NCL on a daily basis, this is hardly a drop in the bucket.

When the changes were upcoming and then went into effect, it made sense to blow off steam with some rants. However, being angry, making threats, etc. isn't really going to get anyone anywhere (IMHO). How about some positive suggestions?

As I have mentioned on other threads, Regent was purchased 7 years ago and FDR was CEO. Some changes were frustrating. Every little thing that was different, we blamed on the new owners. One upcoming change was actually modified after many Regent passengers calmly discussed the impact of the change on long time loyal guests. They do listen but will not necessarily agree with every point you make. Passengers on both Oceania and Regent are very happy with the current management (in spite of the changes). Believe it or not, most NCL passengers will survive the changes and will continue to enjoy the cruises. Those who change to other lines will face a net set of issues...... after all, nothing is perfect.

Edited by Travelcat2

But isn't that how all businesses work. A business doesn't pay for anything (they don't pay overhead, they don't pay employee salaries, they don't pay manufactures for the products they sell, etc.), their customers pay for everything with the profit the company makes off them....it is just how business works.

Also, wasn't Mr. Sheehan in control when they acquired all this debt.

I hate being so flippant and snarky, but sometimes I feel people (like the person you responded to) get caught up in the hysteria and stop using basic rational thought. I agree with your points above, of course.

To re-emphasize, yes, you me and and all other customers pay their costs of operation. Period. So long as revenue is greater than costs, in the long run, all is well. They get new ships, yep, you, me and and everyone else will get the costs passed to them. They are adding feature X and Y or repairing feature Z, yup, somehow those costs get passed to the customer in order to keep the company financially viable. That's just how businesses work.