Aeroflot...

tgmtgm

Any recent experiences? Booked on an NCL cruise out of Barcelona next March, and Aeroflot is returning some very attractive pricing (LAX-BCN). Granted connections are via SVO and are on the long side, but I can deal with both those factors for the savings ($500+). My biggest concern is baggage handling and communications onboard.

Thanks for any feedback you may have.

Tony

Hi, I partly work for Aeroflot at BRU and here's a summary:

Bag handling is just fine at SVO. They've got a pretty solid product as well. As for communication; it's kinda hit or miss.

While I have crew on flights where I can perfectly communicate with in English, other flights have crew that barely speak English. And you can take this pretty literaly. Often the captain (or even First Officer) is the only one that can speak and/or understand English. That is a big let down for such a major airline that is part of a big alliance.

As for security, Aeroflot has very nice planes with rarely a technical issue. In the year my company handles flights for Aeroflot, the technical issues can be counted on 1 hand. Also the non-weather related delays are pretty minimal. And even with bad weather, they often pull a lot of flights out with very few delays. SVO is a pretty big airport (around the same traffic as Chicago ORD) and one of Europe's bussiest. Nevertheless, their gorund handling is often spotless. I seriously don't know how they do this at time ;-)

So it's up to you; if you want a good price (because that's something they're good at), go for it. If you want attentive service onboard and don't speak Russian, go find another carrier. If you speak Russian, they are certainly the perfect airline for you.

But again, their overall product is pretty solid. If you decide to go for it, let me know ;)

Edited by headhunterke

Hi, I partly work for Aeroflot at BRU and here's a summary:

Bag handling is just fine at SVO. They've got a pretty solid product as well. As for communication; it's kinda hit or miss.

While I have crew on flights where I can perfectly communicate with in English, other flights have crew that barely speak English. And you can take this pretty literaly. Often the captain (or even First Officer) is the only one that can speak and/or understand English. That is a big let down for such a major airline that is part of a big alliance.

As for security, Aeroflot has very nice planes with rarely a technical issue. In the year my company handles flights for Aeroflot, the technical issues can be counted on 1 hand. Also the non-weather related delays are pretty minimal. And even with bad weather, they often pull a lot of flights out with very few delays. SVO is a pretty big airport (around the same traffic as Chicago ORD) and one of Europe's bussiest. Nevertheless, their gorund handling is often spotless. I seriously don't know how they do this at time ;-)

So it's up to you; if you want a good price (because that's something they're good at), go for it. If you want attentive service onboard and don't speak Russian, go find another carrier. If you speak Russian, they are certainly the perfect airline for you.

But again, their overall product is pretty solid. If you decide to go for it, let me know ;)

Thank you for the first hand information. A good safety record is first and foremost in my book. The language hurdle can be overcome without too much anxiety. ;)

Tony

I believe that Aeroflot's international product is pretty good with a good safety record over the pat five+ years. I don't believe they were the airline they once were, and have made drastic improvement at least on their international product.

A good safety record is first and foremost in my book.Tony

To be honest, as an aerospace engineer who does a lot of work with civil aviation certification authorities around the world and airline maintenance departments around the world, there are few airlines from any even remotely developed countries that I would avoid from a safety standpoint. There are a few questionable Russian airlines in my book, but Aeroflot is solid from a safety standpoint.

I did fly domestically within the DR Congo on an airline that is no longer in business which probably wasn't the best idea...but I survived ;)

Agree w/ Zach. Aviation regulators in the US and EU monitor the world's airlines and assign them a green/yellow/red safety rating (my term, not theirs). The "red" airlines are not allowed to operate in US or EU airspace, and the "yellow" are allowed but with conditions that meet the situation. I recall one airline was only allowed to fly two specific tail numbers in their fleet to the US. The ratings are available online to allow consumers to check.

Aeroflot of today has no resemblance to the Soviet-era horror stories you may have heard. In the 80's, I read that United Airlines would have a major crash every month if they had the same accident rate as Aeroflot's!

Edited by kenish

... there are few airlines from any even remotely developed countries that I would avoid from a safety standpoint.
Do you distinguish between technical (maintenance) standards and operational standards (= pilot competence)?

There are plenty of toe-curling stories about the latter. But then, I'm sure that on those airlines the food and wine are always top-notch and the cabin crew exemplary.

Do you distinguish between technical (maintenance) standards and operational standards (= pilot competence)?

There are plenty of toe-curling stories about the latter. But then, I'm sure that on those airlines the food and wine are always top-notch and the cabin crew exemplary.

I go purely off of mx because that's the side I deal with

I took a flight from Lax to Rome (FCO) and back. I had no issues with it. The food was fine, the service pleasant, and the seats/comfort comparable to other airlines I have flown. I also flew with my toddler twins and they did a great job catering to them as toddler travel has its challenges. I had the same issues, about $400 difference between them and the next flight company, so we tried it. I would absolutely use them again.

The Moscow airport: If you travel with kids 7 years or under and a mom (or grandma) SVO has an awesome "mothers room." It has a play area for kids and a nap room; it was a life saver for our 8 hour layover. If not right next to it is a capsule hotel where you can rent a place to sleep for that long layover. I was pleasantly surprised with the whole experience.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app