One woman's opinion of HAL and Princess

A Brief comparison of recent Crown Princess cruise with HAL cruises in general

On Princess Embarkation in San Pedro – as Elite had preference

On HAL have preference as 5 star and/or Neptune Suite

Cabin – On Princess Mini-suite at approx. 323 sq ft including balcony – surprised to find since in the last cabin on the deck that we had a wrap around balcony. I like the open closet (no doors) on Princess

On HAL normally have Neptune Suite(500 sq ft) or Signature Suite (372 sq ft) lots of closets but with doors

Cabin stewards on both – very attentive, no problems

MDR – On Princess very attentive service and adequate to poor food choices and same for quality – Anytime Dining in and out in 1 ¼ hours – But had to eat at 5:00 or 5:15 to get this – always a very long line when we left

On HAL – Anytime dining at 5:30 very attentive and quick service and better food

Crown Grill (Princess) vs Pinnacle Grill (HAL) – menu choices somewhat similar and lobster available in Crown Grill with no surcharge. Service on both lines excellent at the beginning but deteriorates as the server has more tables. I had lamb chops that had no taste on Princess and others in our group said filet mignon and lobster were excellent.

Crown Captain gave very extensive reports and kept us informed as to the rolling seas up the West Coast. HAL Captains are equally as good in this area.

Princess Patter very extensive and hard to read – like HAL On Location better. Those with tablets can get the Patter on it

Internet – as Elite (and Platinum) folks can have 150 free minutes per person – on HAL a small reduction as 5-star Mariner (no comparison)

Princess has a printed list of TV channels which I prefer to HAL’s listing on the TV

Buffet on the Lido Deck – HAL wins hands down on this one. HAL has more selection in larger and better presented areas. I like that HAL serves the hot items. Breakfast choices are very limited on Princess. But Princess does have staff that actively serve you your drinks and clear the tables quickly. I think each person has a set number of tables to take care of.

Cannot compare entertainment since don’t usually attend anything. Both lines seem to have eliminated outside lecturers on shorter cruises. I miss that.

Shore excursions very good on both lines.

The Crown had multiple outbreaks of the dreaded noro this spring. Luckily, I know of none on our cruise. She was headed to dry dock after we left in Vancouver.

Princess has silent debarkation which went very well. Elites have preference in whatever group they are assigned. I can't remember how HAL handles four and five star Mariners in debarkation.

In conclusion, HAL remains our primary cruise line of choice. We generally cruise Princess only on their 7-day West Coastal cruises which HAL does not offer. This one on the Crown had an overnight in San Francisco which is nice as well as stops at Catalina Island, Astoria, and Victoria

Thanks for your comparison!

We've only cruised on 5 HAL and MANY on Princess but have nothing bad to say about HAL.

We actually enjoy HAL very much for port intensive cruises when we want to return to a VERY quiet ship and get to bed early. :)

LuLu

A Brief comparison of recent Crown Princess cruise with HAL cruises in general

On Princess Embarkation in San Pedro – as Elite had preference

On HAL have preference as 5 star and/or Neptune Suite

Cabin – On Princess Mini-suite at approx. 323 sq ft including balcony – surprised to find since in the last cabin on the deck that we had a wrap around balcony. I like the open closet (no doors) on Princess

On HAL normally have Neptune Suite(500 sq ft) or Signature Suite (372 sq ft) lots of closets but with doors

Cabin stewards on both – very attentive, no problems

MDR – On Princess very attentive service and adequate to poor food choices and same for quality – Anytime Dining in and out in 1 ¼ hours – But had to eat at 5:00 or 5:15 to get this – always a very long line when we left

On HAL – Anytime dining at 5:30 very attentive and quick service and better food

Crown Grill (Princess) vs Pinnacle Grill (HAL) – menu choices somewhat similar and lobster available in Crown Grill with no surcharge. Service on both lines excellent at the beginning but deteriorates as the server has more tables. I had lamb chops that had no taste on Princess and others in our group said filet mignon and lobster were excellent.

Crown Captain gave very extensive reports and kept us informed as to the rolling seas up the West Coast. HAL Captains are equally as good in this area.

Princess Patter very extensive and hard to read – like HAL On Location better. Those with tablets can get the Patter on it

Internet – as Elite (and Platinum) folks can have 150 free minutes per person – on HAL a small reduction as 5-star Mariner (no comparison)

Princess has a printed list of TV channels which I prefer to HAL’s listing on the TV

Buffet on the Lido Deck – HAL wins hands down on this one. HAL has more selection in larger and better presented areas. I like that HAL serves the hot items. Breakfast choices are very limited on Princess. But Princess does have staff that actively serve you your drinks and clear the tables quickly. I think each person has a set number of tables to take care of.

Cannot compare entertainment since don’t usually attend anything. Both lines seem to have eliminated outside lecturers on shorter cruises. I miss that.

Shore excursions very good on both lines.

The Crown had multiple outbreaks of the dreaded noro this spring. Luckily, I know of none on our cruise. She was headed to dry dock after we left in Vancouver.

Princess has silent debarkation which went very well. Elites have preference in whatever group they are assigned. I can't remember how HAL handles four and five star Mariners in debarkation.

In conclusion, HAL remains our primary cruise line of choice. We generally cruise Princess only on their 7-day West Coastal cruises which HAL does not offer. This one on the Crown had an overnight in San Francisco which is nice as well as stops at Catalina Island, Astoria, and Victoria

Enjoyed reading your comparison. Thank you! :)

When we lived on the west coast we did several of coastal repositioning cruises on Princess as we loved the ports. Also did 10-14 day cruises with them.

Now we cruise HAL because of the design of the ships, the larger space ratio, itinerary and price. However, they have a lousy loyalty program compared to Princess. Perks that make it for me are free laundry, internet and discounts on spa treatments

My opinion Princess wins handily with buffet, moves faster, better selections and better hours for all meals. Appreciate International Cafe food and food 24hrs.

FullSuite/ Neptune Suite, I give this to HAL. Love the 2 sinks, only one door going into the bathroom the location and curtain with makeup area. Loved the balcony and Neptune Lounge, the balcony furniture and the beams are barely noticeable on the aft suites and huge wrap around balcony. Did miss the curtain between bed and sitting area. Neptune suites fully covered on sides of ship, this was nice.

Sabatini's breakfast is faster And better service, but same food.

Anytime dining, both are good and preferred HAL menus. Preferred all HAL desserts, better chocolate too!

Having stayed in mini suite, but only saw Signature Suite, I would prefer a Signature suite as it has 2 sinks and is a smaller version of Neptune Suite.

Internet package was reasonably priced on HAL. We noticed photos were a lot more expensive than Princess.

Did not like the punch Bingo or the rules on HAL. Shows good on both.

Liked the ship spaces on HAL and Culinary Center. HAL has a better DVD library and everyone has access to it as DVD players in all rooms.

Thermal Suite Princess wins easily, did not like layout of HAL's or the hydro pool-my opinion only.

I prefer HAL, but would take either depending on price. I did notice inside cabins on HAL way better!

Sandipalms

Edited by Sandipalms
Adding bath

Thank you for taking the time to do the comparisons between HAL and Princess.

The one thing I don't like about Princess -- the closets have no doors.

We gave them up because of the poor quality of dining room food.

HAL tried the "Silent" disembarkation a few years ago. On the ships we were on, it went badly. People did not bother following the times they were assigned. Many left early and were surprised to get into the terminal only to find that their luggage was not off the ship early.

Does Princess offer photo packages for all the pictures they take of you? It's the big reason I lean to HAL.

Honestly, I don't know. On the Crown, the photographers were everywhere taking lots of pictures. At this point in our cruising career, we seldom buy any photos but did buy one this time because the photo made me look really thin!!!

One other thing about the Crown - it is the largest ship we have sailed - 3100 passengers. Too many for me. The public areas were really crowded and the buffet seating would fill up fast. Much prefer ships with 2000 or less passengers.

Don't forget that HAL beds are much more comfortable than princess beds!

We cancelled our 29 day, 2016 cruise with Princess to cruise with HAL for those 29 days because of the bed issue. I spoke with a Princess rep and she insisted that we could ask for a new mattress when we board! Right!?! After 20 cruises with Princess, I know this to be absolutely untrue. You may get an extra egg crate but that's it.

The last long cruise, we took our own foam bedding and pillows because we were driving to the port. After spending a significant amount of money for a cruise, I really don't want to have to bring my own bedding!!:eek:

We are Elite on Princess. Love the perks but not enough to sleep on a possibly horrid bed for 29 nights. In all fairness, there are some cabins with new pillow top mattresses. We weren't willing to take a gamble on getting one.

Cheers, Denise

Dchip, we are also celebrating our 50th anniversary on a HAL cruise to Alaska. We are on the 14 night itinerary on the Statendam.

I totally agree with you about the beds on Princess. Our first several cruises were on Princess and they were great except that I never had a decent night's sleep even with 2 or 3 egg crate mattress pads. I love the beds on HAL. I also like the smaller ships, the itineraries, and the unlimited laundry package. Spending a day or two in the laundry room isn't my idea of the way to spend a vacation. The biggest difference that we have had to settle for is an oceanview cabin instead of a balcony on HAL. The price difference is much greater between the two categories on HAL than on Princess.

Kudo's on your fair and balanced comparison. There is much to like about both HAL and Princess. We were on the Crown earlier this year and they had new beds in most cabins and were in the process of replacing them in all cabins - the most comfortable bed on a cruise line we have experienced. Prior to our HAL cruise we had read about the reduction of wait staff and long waits for service. To me this is where the Crown (vs Veendam) excelled especially the staffing for breakfast service. Always quickly at your table to take your beverage order and assist where they can. Using 2015 as an example, Princess was and has been consistently lower price for a comparable cabin for the Mexican Riviera (HAL cabins comparable price to the Mini Suite). On our first HAL cruise we booked a cruise on the Westerdam - excited and ready!

Edited by qsuzi

I would add that the Italian restaurant on Princess (Sabatini's) is pretty good, while the Canaletto on HAL is pretty dismal (though I'm sure some will disagree). Likewise Princess wins any pizza comparison hands down.

I have found that the suite beds on Princess are as good as HAL's beds - I can't comment on the beds in other cabins.

Hal is still our favorite for the thousand and one "little things" that they do better. Also, the smaller, more relaxed, HAL ships are more to our preference. We do enjoy both lines however.

Thanks, SJSULIBRARIAN, for that comparison.

As for me, I really like the closets on HAL. I like the way you can reconfigure them to suit your needs. Want more hanger space? Flip the shelves up. More shelves? Flip 'em down. Love it.

I think the food on Holland is generally much better than on Princess. But Princess wins for the International Cafe. :) And on our last Princess cruise (November on the Caribbean Princess) they had a baked potato bar as a mid-afternoon snack at the buffet. That was nice.

HAL wins breakfast, hands down. The international breakfast meals in the dining room are nice. And the Eggs Benedict station in the Lido is great!

HAL loses for closing the buffet too early in the evenings. We sometimes like to wander up there at night, but of course it's not open.

Princess wins for holding the lifeboat drill indoors, in various lounges. On our last HAL cruise (March on the Noordam), a woman near us fainted in the outdoor heat. Awful. :(

HAL wins for their Library and Crow's Nest. It's funny, Princess has an area similar to the Crow's Nest on many of their ships -- Skywalkers Lounge at the back of the ship. But it's set up as a lounge/night club, and is absolutely deserted during the day. Too bad they can't do something with it to take advantage of the great views you could have from up there.

That's my $.02. :)

Thanks, SJSULIBRARIAN, for that comparison.

As for me, I really like the closets on HAL. I like the way you can reconfigure them to suit your needs. Want more hanger space? Flip the shelves up. More shelves? Flip 'em down. Love it.

I think the food on Holland is generally much better than on Princess. But Princess wins for the International Cafe. :) And on our last Princess cruise (November on the Caribbean Princess) they had a baked potato bar as a mid-afternoon snack at the buffet. That was nice.

HAL wins breakfast, hands down. The international breakfast meals in the dining room are nice. And the Eggs Benedict station in the Lido is great!

HAL loses for closing the buffet too early in the evenings. We sometimes like to wander up there at night, but of course it's not open.

Princess wins for holding the lifeboat drill indoors, in various lounges. On our last HAL cruise (March on the Noordam), a woman near us fainted in the outdoor heat. Awful. :(

HAL wins for their Library and Crow's Nest. It's funny, Princess has an area similar to the Crow's Nest on many of their ships -- Skywalkers Lounge at the back of the ship. But it's set up as a lounge/night club, and is absolutely deserted during the day. Too bad they can't do something with it to take advantage of the great views you could have from up there.

That's my $.02. :)

MaryAnn, I agree Princess should do something to more fully utilize the Skywalker's Lounge.

Thanks so much for your comparison- I read it with eager eyes!

We are sailing PCL and HAL back to back this fall, and I'm a little nervous about the PCL leg as we are quite loyal to HAL. Sometime just knowing what to expect really improves the experience. Your concise comparison of both lines was very helpful.

Happy travels to you!