Making myself nuts over the size of the cabin on Escape!

CamaCama

We are 5 people. We got 2 inside rooms next to eachother (not connecting which I really really want). But looking at youtube videos of getaway and breakaway the inside rooms look TINY. We are a family of 4 with 2 little kids plus my mom is coming with us. It's all we can really afford but wondering if we should switch to a different cruise (shorter) so we can afford larger rooms. We aren't in our room all that much but we need to have SOME space esp since we'll have a pack n play in one of the rooms. Will we have any floor space left???

We are 5 people. We got 2 inside rooms next to eachother (not connecting which I really really want). But looking at youtube videos of getaway and breakaway the inside rooms look TINY. We are a family of 4 with 2 little kids plus my mom is coming with us. It's all we can really afford but wondering if we should switch to a different cruise (shorter) so we can afford larger rooms. We aren't in our room all that much but we need to have SOME space esp since we'll have a pack n play in one of the rooms. Will we have any floor space left???

Are either of these the Family Inside cabins? Those tend to be much roomier...

How are you splitting the rooms? Grandma and kids and then you and your husband?

We actually found that on our Escape cruise, the Family OV room (sleeps 5) was much cheaper than 2 inside rooms. Is the pack - n-play necessary? It does take up a lot of real estate. We would put our little one in with a bigger kid and forgo the pack-n-play but only when they were toddlers - if you have an infant, then that is a different story. I would try the Family OV....:)

I would look into getting a 2-bedroom family suite. It might be cheaper and you get all the suite perks.

That is not the same thing as a family inside cabin. The family inside is not a suite...it is an inside cabin that is much larger than regular inside cabins.

Ship cabins ARE tiny, compared to hotel rooms...but, aside from sleeping/changing...you really aren't in there that much....and, they are VERY well designed for max. storage! No worries! You will be fine in 2 cabins!

That is not the same thing as a family inside cabin. The family inside is not a suite...it is an inside cabin that is much larger than regular inside cabins.

Yes i know that it's not the same thing. I was recommending that they upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite.

i would speak to your cruise consultant and ask about other options avaialble to 5 people (3 adults and 2 kids) - the family suites may work out cheaper than 2 rooms for you!

you really dont spend a lot of time in your room, if you do, then there is something not working for you! the ship will be huge and with a whole host of activities to keep you, grandma and the kids entertained. cabins are for sowers, changing and sleeping only!

I find it hard to believe a 2 bedroom suite (without a kids sail free promo) would be a better financial fit than two regular insides for the OP, who's already indicated that they are on a budget.

As others said, the family oceanview or the forward facing oceanviews might be a better choice.

What are your sail dates?

Yes i know that it's not the same thing. I was recommending that they upgrade to a 2-bedroom suite.

There is no world where a 2-bedroom family suite is cheaper then 2 inside cabins. Its probably twice as expensive in the best cases.

OP, you will be fine in two rooms. Yes they are small, but one room will have only two people which is standard, and one with a foldable pack and play. You will need to fold up the pack and play during the day, and take it out when needed. Putting 5 people in a family OV will be terrible by comparison. I have never seen them be any bigger, and you lose the second bathroom that you get with two inside rooms. You will be fine how you are.

6&8

..... and you lose the second bathroom that you get with two inside rooms. You will be fine how you are.

6&8

Good point on the bathroom. If everyone is in the same cabin...when one person gets up, everyone will be up. Which means 5 people wanting in the bathroom to get their day started.

Kids will be 6 and 2 (2 year old definitely needs to sleep in pack n play!)... oh how I WISH we could afford the 2-bedroom suite. We paid $609/person for the 2 insides... 2-bed suite is $2,800/person! Yea, not happening. :eek:

Oh and we did the same last year on RCI Liberty, we had 2 insides connecting promenade view. The rooms were good but the rooms on Escape seem MUCH smaller. On liberty the inside had a sofa and bay window looking into the promenade. We still had room near the desk even with the pack n play there.

Edited by CamaCama

Putting 5 people in a family OV will be terrible by comparison. I have never seen them be any bigger, and you lose the second bathroom that you get with two inside rooms.

Good point on the bathrooms. :)

The Family Oceanviews on the Away class are good sized;

Staterooms.NCL.Breakaway.FamilyOceanview_B1.Floorplan.jpg

OP might check for pricedrops or change to one oceanview and one inside.

Also the Forward Facing Oceanviews are known for their space although they are an higher price than a Family, I guess?

Another option could be a disabled inside but NCL has the right to move you when a disabled person makes a booking.

But as others stated, you will be fine, you're on a cruise ship. :D

really?

I had the family inside on the Gem.

seemed liked the same size as regular insides on the Gem. (I've had both.)

the only difference was that the family inside had 2 extra beds.

(one on the wall, and one that dropped down from the ceiling.)

I went solo both times (thx CAS).

From what I was told the only true family cabins that are larger than regular ones are the family oceanview and 2-bed suite on Escape. Can't afford the suite and the family OV's are sold out. Would have been similarly priced I think to 2 insides. If we had them connecting so the kids could just run back and forth I'd be less worried. Wonder why they didn't make a lot of inside connecting rooms??!!

Another option could be a disabled inside but NCL has the right to move you when a disabled person makes a booking.

But as others stated, you will be fine, you're on a cruise ship. :D

Please don't do this. As a person with a disability, it's so difficult to get accessible space for those of us who really need and just aren't looking for extra room. It's like using an accessible parking space because it's raining and you don't want to get wet.

Ship cabins ARE tiny, compared to hotel rooms...but, aside from sleeping/changing...you really aren't in there that much....and, they are VERY well designed for max. storage! No worries! You will be fine in 2 cabins!

And with the two cabins, you have two bathrooms which is important.