Parial Panama Canal cruise- question--

Jetswdo

For those of you who have done the partial on Coral or Island---

when you are sitting by outdoor pool areas, is it very hot and humid, or is it the same as any other carribean cruise? We will be going the beginning of January--

The reason why I am asking, is I am trying to decide if I should bother to try to get loungers in the Sanctuary or not. Dh and I spend maybe 2 hours a day on loungers and only in the shade on Carribean cruises. We haven't been on Cartogenia or Limon or Gatun Lake sailings so don't know what to expect.

We loved the indoor pool area on the Saphire when we did an Alaska sailing years ago.

when you are sitting by outdoor pool areas, is it very hot and humid, or is it the same as any other carribean cruise? We will be going the beginning of January--

The reason why I am asking, is I am trying to decide if I should bother to try to get loungers in the Sanctuary or not. Dh and I spend maybe 2 hours a day on loungers and only in the shade on Carribean cruises. We haven't been on Cartogenia or Limon or Gatun Lake sailings so don't know what to expect.

We loved the indoor pool area on the Saphire when we did an Alaska sailing years ago.

Out on deck in/near Panama it can get stifling. Also depends on the time of year. (rainy season etc)

I would not want to be inside during the canal part. Or anytime for that matter.

Edited by Colo Cruiser

I've only done full transits including in January & it was hot and humid in the canal area & thought it was even worse in Cartagena.

I don't know about the Sanctuary's cost on a partial Canal cruise however on a full transit it was at a premium price. I'm not sure about the price but have read that they gave additional amenities along with the increased cost for the Sanctuary

I took that cruise mid-December and don't recall it being particularly stifling, except for Cartagena, which is always an oven.

I believe premium pricing for the Sanctuary only applies for transit day. Having done the Canal three times, I can't imagine not being fully mobile, going fully both forward and aft, when transiting the locks.

I do know the Island and I believe the Coral have covered pool areas. When we did the Canal I would sit there and read on sea days. Nice quiet place with loungers and the ice cream bar. Very few people were there. Never could find a need to use the Sanctuary on any ship.

We don't sit by the pool anymore, but we've seen many loungers at the main pool that are in the shade. As other's have said, it's very HOT and HUMID outside, so it really depends on how much you want to pay to be cooler in the Sanctuary:).

Have a wonderful cruise,

How would the sanctuary be any cooler than the other pool areas that are outside? I think while at port in Cartogenia, we will stay in the inside air conditioned areas in the ship. That port I know is impossibly hot and humid. So while the ship is moving at sea, it is really hot and humid outside? So wouldn't it be the same in the Sanctuary area as well?

We were on a Greek/Italy cruise a couple of years ago and it was impossible outside on the open decks, so we stayed in the indoor pool area on that ship--

If it is the same thing on partial canal cruise, then I guess we will not bother paying for the sanctuary--at least I won't have to run like a crazy person to be among the first on board.

How would the sanctuary be any cooler than the other pool areas that are outside? I think while at port in Cartogenia, we will stay in the inside air conditioned areas in the ship. That port I know is impossibly hot and humid. So while the ship is moving at sea, it is really hot and humid outside? So wouldn't it be the same in the Sanctuary area as well?

We were on a Greek/Italy cruise a couple of years ago and it was impossible outside on the open decks, so we stayed in the indoor pool area on that ship--

If it is the same thing on partial canal cruise, then I guess we will not bother paying for the sanctuary--at least I won't have to run like a crazy person to be among the first on board.

Yes the Sanctuary has heat too. :(

These are some photos of the pools from a review I did. We always spent most of the pool time in the covered Lotus pool area. Spent some evenings in the outdoor pool area for movies under the stars. The heat was not bad in either of these instances. It was bad on shore excursions though.

Ship Pools

The ship has two main pools and a couple smaller pools. The main outdoor pool is the Lido Pool on deck 14. There are three hot tubs around this pool and this is where the Movies Under the Stars screen is. Princess shows "almost first run movies" at night, as well as some older ones. They also have concert videos at various times. This was the most popular pool where everyone was " watchin' the sun bake; All of those tourists covered with oil." ( with apologies to Jimmy Buffett for use of his Margarittaville lyrics).

13957298718_c68184cc0f_c.jpg

The second main pool is the Lotus pool which is covered. This was our favorite, and we never had trouble finding lounge chairs regardless of what time we came here. This pool is 6'-7" deep, so you should be able to swim before venturing in here. I had to pull someone out the first sea day who got in over their head and was struggling to get to the edge.

14143891325_dd2f40b4dc_c.jpg

There is also a small splash pool on the 16th deck that is about 15" deep. Never saw anyone using this pool.

14144124404_ff04d50656_c.jpg

The Sanctuary also has a small pool. Not sure what people find as the attraction here. The area was small with most loungers in the shade. Given the ease in finding empty loungers in the lotus pool area, we were content there.

Next - Cartagena

Just go to the covered Lotus Pool area. We spent a lot of time there and it was quiet and uncrowded. We never had a problem finding a lounger (and they are nicer than the ones around the outside pool.)

I think we will just stay in the indoor pool area-- I'm just nervous because school is still out during this cruise (New Year's) and don't want to be over run with kids-- but then again kids usually prefer the outdoor pools anyway.

The sanctuary area has many loungers in the shade, which is all I am interested in. A quiet pool area is a bonus. But I'm thinking now that we should just use the indoor pool area-- On Canal day we will be walking all over the ship to see different views- want to have a very leisurely breakfast on the balcony (we did this viewing the glaciers on Alaska trip-- fabulous)

I wouldn't be too worried about this cruise being over-run with kids. I'm assuming you are on the partial transit that departs Ft. Lauderdale on Dec. 27th and returns on January 6th. Even though it's a cruise that begins during school holidays, it doesn't end until after most public schools will have started their spring semesters (January 4th). So some families won't choose this cruise. Also, these longer cruises aren't particularly popular with families--too long and too expensive.

We took this cruise in Feb 2015. The only time I felt any humidity was on the smaller boat that took us thru the other locks. It was a bit over crowded and being down and inside the locks was stuffy. I never had a problem being too hot at the pools on the ship. Have a wonferful trip!

I think while at port in Cartogenia, we will stay in the inside air conditioned areas in the ship. That port I know is impossibly hot and humid.

Having been to Cartagena a few times now, I'd urge you to re-think that. I find the town well worth braving the heat. It's easy enough to go on a guided tour, or, if you're motivated, to take taxis and see whatever you want to on your own. (Sure not a bad idea at the fort, where tour groups are descended on by locust-like souvenir hawkers. And it's just really nice to wander aimlessly through the beautiful old section of town.)

Just go slow and hydrate.

We may do a short am tour in Caragenia. I'm thinking if it is mostly adults on the Dec. 27 sailing, the the covered pool area will work for us just fine--If it isn't too hot outside then we can find two loungers on any deck that is shaded---so that will be that.

I did that cruise last year. You must be confused, the cruise right before the holidays was adults, the cruise over the holidays had many small children with young adults.

Sent from my KFTHWI using Forums mobile app

We took our partial canal cruise on the Island over Christmas. There were not as many kids on it as on the shorter holiday cruises. I think most parents also tend to look at newer ships with lots of activities for their children. The covered pool was designated adults only, although that was not strictly enforced.

In Cartagena, we took the excursion to the mud volcano. It was a lot of fun. I don't remember it being particularly stifling.

I really dont vare about kids but sometimes there are too many on a cruise that arent made to behave. Gets on my husbands nerves not mine. So either way I relax.