surge protector or extension cord?

catspaw1

Hi we leave next week for our cruise and and are packing now.

I learned from this site that we need some type of extension cord but some say it can't be a surge protector. Which one- surge protestor or extension cord? It's for our electronics. Thank you everyone!

Surge protector.

The reason is simple. If you have a US surge protector that's designed for a 110-volt supply, and you plug it in to a EU 220 volt outlet, the surge protection will kick in and pop the circuit breaker for your cabin (as well as several others).

Thanks for the reply.

I agree that the surge protector is better to safeguard all of our electronics but I thought I read on this site that celebrity doesn't allow them. Can anyone else confirm?

is the voltage 110US or European 220V?

One danger for extension cords is plugging a cord rated for 110v into an adapter that's plugged into 240v. You run the risk of shock or worse....don't ever do this. Ditto on surge protectors which are generally not rated for 220v....do not plug them into an adapter that's plugged into 220v. You really don't need a surge protector on a ship. If you need additional outlets, take a standard grounded 3way plug and plug it into the 110v outlet in your cabin. Better yet, if your devices all charge with a USB cord...get a 40w 5 outlet USB charger and you can plug that into either 110 or 220v. That's what I now do.

I agree that the surge protector is better to safeguard all of our electronics but I thought I read on this site that celebrity doesn't allow them. Can anyone else confirm?

You don't need a surge protector on a ship, the current from the ship's generators won't spike like it does on land. You're much more likely to have a surge protector confiscated than a regular power strip (a small one...not the kind that has an additional extension cord attached to it).

There are both 110 and 220 outlets on the ships (at least S-class).

I took a small (3-plug) power bar with 2 USB ports and had no problems. (Edit: the one pictured in the post directly above!)

Edited by gergles

Hi thanks all, I gave this to my other half as he is in charge of the electronics- I did all the booking, trip planning, etc so he finally has his own job now!

We leave next Sunday & I can't wait- packing now as we leave home next Saturday.

I have the Belkin and also love it. Try a Halo portable charger with three connectors/cords attached. Will charger 3 devices at once. Additionally their is a swiveling extension cord called Quirky which lets 6 awkwardly shaped chargers fit into 1. It bends to form a shape that allows your various chargers to fit. Has a surge protector too. Comes in large and mini versions.

Cables are pick up on the X-ray machines and you may be picking up your luggage in the naughty room :p

Is this the case if you have chargers in your carry on luggage?

As we are driving to Southampton for our next cruise, I need not put them in my case.

Never had a problem with small charging cables but was sent to naughty room for having HDMI cable , they thought it was an extension cable

What is this naughty room ? I have been on a few cruises and never heard of it.

One of the posts said there were lots of cables on a table, am i correct in thinking they had been taken off people when they boarded and not returned until they got off

What is this naughty room ? I have been on a few cruises and never heard of it.

One of the posts said there were lots of cables on a table, am i correct in thinking they had been taken off people when they boarded and not returned until they got off

Security room where you go and get your luggage opened so they can search it and do a strip search to make sure you're not caring anyother contraband :eek: :p

What about extension cords for CPAP machines? I will need at least 6' for my next Equinox cruise. I am planning on packing the extension cord with my CPAP machine and carry-on the entire package. The same for the plane trip to/from FL.

What about extension cords for CPAP machines? I will need at least 6' for my next Equinox cruise. I am planning on packing the extension cord with my CPAP machine and carry-on the entire package. The same for the plane trip to/from FL.

Phone Celebrity , I believe they will provide you with an extension cord for a Cpac machine

Security room where you go and get your luggage opened so they can search it and do a strip search to make sure you're not caring anyother contraband :eek: :p

For those here who are unfamiliar with the "naughty room", they do not do a strip search. That part was a joke. And not a funny one when someone new is asking an honest question about something they aren't familiar with.

If you have something in your checked luggage that looks suspicious, they will hold the luggage in a storage room until you come down to open it and let them search it and remove the offending item if there is one. Banned items will most likely result in this happening.

But, no strip search!

Edited by SantaFeFan

Why bother taking one. Your room attendant will get you one.

The reason they are often confiscated is that many are of the very poor quality made in China variety-often without even a standards approval. Some can become fire hazards when they overheat.

So many cruise lines do the prudent thing. They confiscate all customer units and provide cruise line provided ones that are approved by their respective engineering groups.

Edited by iancal