surge protector or extension cord?

catspaw1

You don't need either one every cabin I've ever been in has plenty of outlets more then 3 at minimum plus outlets in the bathrooms.

I don't use an extension cord or surge protector, however I have never been on a ship with "plenty" of outlets; usually one close to the bed and two on the desk area. Also bathroom usually has a shaver outlet and no regular plugs.

I can't imagine needing more than 4 things at once using power. My experience is if you have a lot of things you just take ones off you're not using like your phone or camera if you need to charge your toothbrush or possibly a laptop. We've had a full room with 4 people in it (very rare for us to do) and only then was it an issue and even then we made due.

We travel with two cell phones, an iPad, a MacBook Air, and a SLR Digital camera. :D Yes, we have trouble disconnecting from the world. The Belkin device a previous poster mentioned is very useful.

My goodness!!!! Put those devices away enjoy the time away :D:D:D:D

We travel with two cell phones, an iPad, a MacBook Air, and a SLR Digital camera. :D Yes, we have trouble disconnecting from the world. The Belkin device a previous poster mentioned is very useful.

We have one of those 4-port dual voltage USB chargers split between 4 people.

On the USB charger: 2 out of 3 cellphones are off and in the safe. The 3rd is the camera for that person and is charged while sleeping. 3 tablets are charged during the day since we're rarely in the cabin. Yes, we trust the steward.

Laptop (for work ;)), point n shoot and D-SLR battery chargers share the other outlet overnight as needed.

I just got a new point n shoot that charges off a USB so one less charger to bring.

You don't need either one every cabin I've ever been in has plenty of outlets more then 3 at minimum plus outlets in the bathrooms.

The view from the other side:

I've been on four cruises.

Number of outlets in the main cabin (not the bathroom): one, one, one, and two.

Number of outlets in the bathroom: one, one, one, and one.

The view from the other side:

I've been on four cruises.

Number of outlets in the main cabin (not the bathroom): one, one, one, and two.

Number of outlets in the bathroom: one, one, one, and one.

This has me concerned. I may pack one on my next... never know every ship is different.

We have had extension cords and surge protectors (multi-outlet) confiscated. Steward said that the multiple device units allow too much power to be drawn. Sounded like the canned response.

However, we have never had a multi-plug unit without a cord (little three-way) confiscated... even when they took the extension cord plugged into it. Seriously, they took the cord, but left the triple-plug.

At check-in, we are sometimes asked if we have any medical devices to plug in (they mean CPAP or other equipment, but can't ask directly, as that's personal health information). Tell them YES, you have a medical device -- you don't have to tell them what it is. They flag your room and the steward is alerted to leave the power cords in place.

We have had extension cords and surge protectors (multi-outlet) confiscated. Steward said that the multiple device units allow too much power to be drawn. Sounded like the canned response.

However, we have never had a multi-plug unit without a cord (little three-way) confiscated... even when they took the extension cord plugged into it. Seriously, they took the cord, but left the triple-plug.

At check-in, we are sometimes asked if we have any medical devices to plug in (they mean CPAP or other equipment, but can't ask directly, as that's personal health information). Tell them YES, you have a medical device -- you don't have to tell them what it is. They flag your room and the steward is alerted to leave the power cords in place.

Good point may want to call ahead and ask about doing it before just doing it. I like your post thanks for the insight. I may call NCL and ask. :o

My goodness!!!! Put those devices away enjoy the time away :D:D:D:D

Actually, those devices help us preserve the memories. We have a cell phone, iPad, digital SLR camera, small underwater camera, and iPod. We need them, we take them, we use them, we charge them. :)

I keep a 12 foot heavy duty extension cord in by carry on cpap bag when traveling whether by ship, aircraft or car. So far no problem . . . knocking wood.

Good idea, but I am not sure why you pack a heavy duty cord. CPAP machines have low current requirements.

I do not believe that non-CPAP users realized that a single night without a CPAP could be their last night.

As for the number of outlets, we have never had any near the bed so we always bring a battery powered clock. On our last three ships for example, there were two outlets on the dressing table and one useless one in the bathroom.

I always pack a surge protector. Between my iPhone, iPad, laptop and camera I'm always charging something, and I recharge all of them overnite. I've never had a problem with it on any cruise line. I have the Belkin, but I just don't carry it on a cruise, I just don't care for it. As a new CPAP user, I do realize I need to buy a good extension cord, probably in the neighborhood of 10' for my cruises, I just haven't gotten around to going to a local hardware store to get one.

Edited by Treven

One danger for extension cords is plugging a cord rated for 110v into an adapter that's plugged into 240v. You run the risk of shock or worse....don't ever do this. Ditto on surge protectors which are generally not rated for 220v....do not plug them into an adapter that's plugged into 220v. ..........

Yep, Don't do this. DD lives in Rome and a roommate did this. Luckily only sparks flew and the circuit tripped. Don't know if his computer survived. Very scary.

I take an adaptor that allows me to plug in up to 3 devices from a single outlet, and it

has always worked fine for me. It does not have a surge protector, and that has never been a problem.

I always pack a surge protector. Between my iPhone, iPad, laptop and camera I'm always charging something, and I recharge all of them overnite. I've never had a problem with it on any cruise line. I have the Belkin, but I just don't carry it on a cruise, I just don't care for it. As a new CPAP user, I do realize I need to buy a good extension cord, probably in the neighborhood of 10' for my cruises, I just haven't gotten around to going to a local hardware store to get one.

As a CPAP user, what you should do is arrange with the cruise line beforehand to have a marine grade extension cord awaiting your arrival.

Good idea, but I am not sure why you pack a heavy duty cord. CPAP machines have low current requirements.

I do not believe that non-CPAP users realized that a single night without a CPAP could be their last night.

As for the number of outlets, we have never had any near the bed so we always bring a battery powered clock. On our last three ships for example, there were two outlets on the dressing table and one useless one in the bathroom.

Overseas travel . . . higher voltage. When it comes to electricity, I'm a belt and suspenders guy. :p

For those here who are unfamiliar with the "naughty room", they do not do a strip search............

But, no strip search!

They do a power strip search. You remain fully clothed.

• 2 weeks later...
Surge protector.

The reason is simple. If you have a US surge protector that's designed for a 110-volt supply, and you plug it in to a EU 220 volt outlet, the surge protection will kick in and pop the circuit breaker for your cabin (as well as several others).

This isn't really true. Most surge protectors have a trap voltage that is much higher than 220v, since they are more designed to protect against lightning strike surges than anything else.

One danger for extension cords is plugging a cord rated for 110v into an adapter that's plugged into 240v. You run the risk of shock or worse....don't ever do this. Ditto on surge protectors which are generally not rated for 220v....do not plug them into an adapter that's plugged into 220v. You really don't need a surge protector on a ship. If you need additional outlets, take a standard grounded 3way plug and plug it into the 110v outlet in your cabin. Better yet, if your devices all charge with a USB cord...get a 40w 5 outlet USB charger and you can plug that into either 110 or 220v. That's what I now do.

Again, not really sure where you're coming from. While you may fry your electronics or appliances plugging them into the wrong voltage, and possibly a surge protector (though not likely), there is really no danger in plugging a "110 volt rated" extension cord into 220v, since at the higher voltage the appliance you plug into the cord draws less current than at 110v, so the conductors in the cord heat up less, and the insulation lasts longer.

Having said all this, I don't know if the OP has seen my previous answers to the surge protector question here on CC, but I'll repeat it anyway: Surge protectors don't work on ships like they do on land. They can also be dangerous, as per the USCG Safety Notice on their use aboard ships:

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/cg5/csncoe/docs/safety%20alerts/USCG%20Marine%20Safety%20Alert%2003-13%20Surge%20Protective%20Devices%20Onboard%20Vessels.pdf

We packed the surge protector from our television for my spouse's CPAP on Carnival last week. They never questioned it. He put it in the bag with his machine as we went through security. The steward in our cabin said it was fine when we asked.

We had to run it across the room because the only 2 plugs were at the desk. We asked about the plug behind the bed, but the steward said it was a different voltage (?) so we didn't fool with trying to move the bed to access it.

We packed the surge protector from our television for my spouse's CPAP on Carnival last week. They never questioned it. He put it in the bag with his machine as we went through security. The steward in our cabin said it was fine when we asked.

We had to run it across the room because the only 2 plugs were at the desk. We asked about the plug behind the bed, but the steward said it was a different voltage (?) so we didn't fool with trying to move the bed to access it.

Reread post #44 and the associated links. It's not a problem until it's a problem, even if the "marine electrician," who doubles as a room steward, says it's OK.

This issue has several threads over time.......I learned last winter that most cabins have an outlet behind the bed that is European....we bought a belkin with several adapters that is not a surge protector with 2 outlet and several USB ports....on the regal princess in jan and my very skeptical husband moved the bed while giving me the look....sure enough...2 nooks,a phone for white noise,a phone for pics,a small fan and a cpap all plugged in behind the bed....so much safer than having a cord snaked from bed to desk....bought the belkin on amazon....he is a retired marine electrician and approved the unit....