QM2 gratuities

bubbe2005

I didn't say Auto-Tip is not distributed. I said it may not ALL be distributed. I've heard from a few staff/crew members on various cruise lines. Also, check Cruise Law News.

It says on the disembarkation programme that "You can be assured that all the crew receive all the auto gratuity.

We usually tip additional to the room stewards and the DR stewards. Because we do not opt out of auto tips, the stewards are then allowed to keep the tips. Again, I am speaking of HAL, so I would appreciate info as to Cunard's policy.

I have asked two room stewards and they have both said that they are allowed to keep any additional tips as long as we haven't opted out of the auto ones.

I can assure readers that 'Cunard Line' do not distributed lists to all and sundry with Guest names who have opted out of the auto gratuity system.

This information is confidential and is only for the perusal of Senior Management.

I can assure readers that 'Cunard Line' do not distributed lists to all and sundry with Guest names who have opted out of the auto gratuity system.

This information is confidential and is only for the perusal of Senior Management.

Bell Boy, please correct me if I am mistaken: my understanding from what I've read on this forum is that staff members are required to pool any gratuities received from passengers who opt out of the auto Hotel & Dining Charge, but they are permitted to keep any tips from those leaving the H&D Charge in place.

But if the list of passengers who do not pay the Hotel & Dining Charge is "only for the perusal of Senior Management" as you stated, how does the staff know which cash tips they must pool and which cash tips they are permitted to keep? :confused: Thanks, -S.

Isn't that what management is there for?

It's their job to manage their employees. Not mine.

You are absolutely correct - it IS management's job to manage their employees. And many lines' managements elect to manage their employees' performance by applying a compensation model which reflects performance - and who better to judge the performance of service employees than the passengers who pay to receive that service?

Virtually every well managed and successful enterprise does apply some incentive compensation program - either by supplementing the pay of superior performers or docking the pay of slackers.

Bell Boy, please correct me if I am mistaken: my understanding from what I've read on this forum is that staff members are required to pool any gratuities received from passengers who opt out of the auto Hotel & Dining Charge, but they are permitted to keep any tips from those leaving the H&D Charge in place.

But if the list of passengers who do not pay the Hotel & Dining Charge is "only for the perusal of Senior Management" as you stated, how does the staff know which cash tips they must pool and which cash tips they are permitted to keep? :confused: Thanks, -S.

Very valid, and most likely correct, contention.

What do you think "Senior Management" does with such information? People who want to opt out are required to explain why - and "Senior Management" would be negligent if they did not follow up with the staff members whose performance led passengers to opt out of the auto gratuity system.

Isn't that what management is there for?

It's their job to manage their employees. Not mine.

To turn around your argument, what's the point in any passenger leaving a great "You Have Been a Star" commentary for exceptional service? It's the management's job to evaluate their employees, not mine?

According to many posts on the HAL line (and I don't know if this applies to Cunard as well), if you choose out of auto-tips, your name goes on a list distributed to your cabin stewards. Not only do you risk not getting their usual excellent service, but if you do tip them personally at the end of the trip, they cannot keep the tip. It does into a general pool. So any good intention of tipping the room steward directly will not be accomplished.

We usually tip additional to the room stewards and the DR stewards. Because we do not opt out of auto tips, the stewards are then allowed to keep the tips. Again, I am speaking of HAL, so I would appreciate info as to Cunard's policy.

See post 15

The Automatic Tipping policy is now virtually in effect on all cruise lines.

For me it eliminates the pressures of that last night .

For the crew , it is fair to all and eliminates those that skip out of the dining room on that last night.

Please don't fight the system, it works for everyone involved.

For that rare case of bad service , it should be reported and tip adjusted when it happens, not the last day.

It's unfair because not every one pays, leaving staff short changed. Or are you saying that Cunard makes up the difference?

How do you adjust the tip? San you specify that, for instance you want the room steward removed from your tips?

As operated the auto tips work virtually the same as if they were incorporated in the cruise price. It would be more logical if passengers could opt in rather than out.

David.

Hello Salacia, I'm only referring to a system that operates in Cunard Line . There is far too much confusion on theses boards with reference to 'Lists' being passed around to 'cabin stewards & table waiters'. I can assure everyone that this does not exist on the three ships in Cunard line. It may happen on other cruise lines but certainly not on Cunard.

How do I know :

I have looked into this and after a lengthy discussion with a Customer service manager ( former Purser Guest Services) I have reason to believe what I have been told. The rational being; lists being circulated to all and sundry with information of what a guest may have done, (or not) could demotivate junior crew, even before the voyage/cruise is over.

I agree with you Salacia, how on earth do crew know which cash tips they can keep and which they have to pool ? (if they ever bother to pool them at all )

I didn't get around to asking that question , however, that could be for my next trip in July .

Personally, I would encourage everyone to leave their Hotel & Dining charges on and offer only a small amount of folded paper money at disembarkation ...I discreetly say something on the lines of "This is just a little extra on top of my auto grats, for you to enjoy a few beers and a meal in the next port ";) There is no need for a big fanfare with envelopes etc in view of other guests .

Bell Boy :)

On admittedly rough figures of 6700 passengers and 3000 crew on the three Cunard ships, auto-gratuities would provide c.$28M to Cunard. This assumes $11.5 per night for 365 nights. If evenly disbursed to crew, this would give each crew member an additional $9400 per annum. Obviously only a rough figure, but not insignificant in operating costs.

If £100 ($150) is a reasonable cost per night, would Cunard be prepared to increase fares by c. 8% to maintain crew wages at this level , possibly becoming less competitive, or prefer to retain the present arrangement? Would passengers accept the increase? Probably, since many already regard auto-gratuities as part of the cruise cost. Others who presently object to the practice would then have a clear choice to pay the increased fare or not . Then the debate could end.

What do you think "Senior Management" does with such information? People who want to opt out are required to explain why - and "Senior Management" would be negligent if they did not follow up with the staff members whose performance led passengers to opt out of the auto gratuity system.

Hello navybankerteacher, I'm only commenting what I understand is the Cunard system.

The information that a guest may have opted out of the HDC is passed onto the night auditor & team, whose job is taking care of the guests onboard statement.

It's not always due to crew performance that some people remove their HDC charges, they often do so because they just object having to tip :mad: they don't have to give any other reason.

Hello navybankerteacher, I'm only commenting what I understand is the Cunard system.

The information that a guest may have opted out of the HDC is passed onto the night auditor & team, whose job is taking care of the guests onboard statement.

It's not always due to crew performance that some people remove their HDC charges, they often do so because they just object having to tip :mad: they don't have to give any other reason.

They are not permitted to simply remove the HDC just because they want to, they are required to give their reason. I have overheard the beginnings of such conversations several times-- as soon as it gets down to the nitty gritty, the complaining passenger is asked to step into an enclosed area. The reason for which passengers are permitted to remove the charge is dissatisfaction with service.

They are not permitted to simply remove the HDC just because they want to, they are required to give their reason. I have overheard the beginnings of such conversations several times-- as soon as it gets down to the nitty gritty, the complaining passenger is asked to step into an enclosed area. The reason for which passengers are permitted to remove the charge is dissatisfaction with service.

I think you may have my misunderstood posting . I'm only referring to what happens on Cunard. (which I notice you have only taken one voyage)

We have all seen and overheard guests in line at the Pursers office (Cunard ships) even 'before the vessel has departed', asking for the 'form' to remove the HDC.

Cunard Line do not ask the guest to give a reason unless the guest chooses to do so. If they wish to get down to the 'nitty gritty' then they usually make an appointment with Purser guest services. There certainly is no time on embarkation day at the Pursers office to be asking every other guest to step aside into an enclose area ;)

They are not permitted to simply remove the HDC just because they want to, they are required to give their reason.

The tips are voluntary, Cunard can require what they wish. There s no obligation to give any reason if they don't wish to.

David.

Thie entire tipping is turning circles.

Recently, there has been an article stating that normal staff are getting US$50,-/month. Not sure if that's true.

So let's asume for a minute, that the staff makes US$ 50 or 200 or 500 per month for working in 14-16 hours shifts 7 days a week.*

In our opinion, that's enough reason to leave the auto-tips active.

As for the comment that auto-tips should be opted-in , in a perfect world yes.

In the real world most of the people would not do that.

So there are only 2 ways to give the staff the deserved money:

1. raise prices - won't happen

2. Stick with the Auto-Service charge as it is.

*based on these (guessed) amounts is may get clearer how only tipping to a certain visible person would harm these who are working behind the lines.

Edited by Yoshikitty

Personally, I would encourage everyone to leave their Hotel & Dining charges on and offer only a small amount of folded paper money at disembarkation ...I discreetly say something on the lines of "This is just a little extra on top of my auto grats, for you to enjoy a few beers and a meal in the next port ";) There is no need for a big fanfare with envelopes etc in view of other guests .

Bell Boy :)

Or do as we do. Having left the autotips on, we put the notes in an envelope, fold it up and discreetly hand it over in a handshake on the last morning as we leave the restaurant and the stateroom with a 'thank you for making the voyage that much more enjoyable' and leave it at that. No need for any reference to autograts having been left in place or anything else for that matter. Just 'thanks'.

On admittedly rough figures of 6700 passengers and 3000 crew on the three Cunard ships, auto-gratuities would provide c.$28M to Cunard. This assumes $11.5 per night for 365 nights. If evenly disbursed to crew, this would give each crew member an additional $9400 per annum. .

How are you figuring each cruise member would get an additional $9,400 per annum? You would have to know to how many crew members the auto tips are distributed and whether some staff is being counted in the 3,000 crew.

How are you figuring each cruise member would get an additional $9,400 per annum? You would have to know to how many crew members the auto tips are distributed and whether some staff is being counted in the 3,000 crew.

You’re right, I made a (hopefully reasonable) guess at the numbers, and assumed gratuities distributed evenly to all crew. If you take out officers and bar staff for example, that means same amount divided by fewer crew so each crew member would benefit even more.

Also forgot about the drinks service charge (15%) which is compulsory. Suppose each passenger buys one drink at $6 each day. That’s $0.9 service charge on each drink, and c.$2.2M per year at a minimum. Suppose 300 bar staff on three ships, so since this charge goes to them alone, that’s c.$7300 each. Could easily be double or triple that for drinks alone then factor in bottles of wine and spirits. Wonder what percentage of salary passengers are paying by this route? Gratuities certainly appear to contribute significantly to staff wages. Good news for stockholders.

As a passenger you tend to think in terms of your one or two week cruise and the related gratuities. I was just interested to try to estimate what the total annual sum was, and what it would mean for the company and crew. If the numbers are close, then it’s pretty significant.

You’re right, I made a (hopefully reasonable) guess at the numbers, and assumed gratuities distributed evenly to all crew. If you take out officers and bar staff for example, that means same amount divided by fewer crew so each crew member would benefit even more.

And don't forget the office and purser staff, seamen, engineers, security etc.

David.

I am always surprised when reading about tips how those who have never removed them, or who do not believe in removing them, seem to know exactly what happens should someone choose to do so.

I have crossed the Atlantic 4 times on QM2 and have removed the auto tips twice and left them in place twice. My reasons for doing so are MY reasons. However, when I have removed them it has been shortly after boarding. I went to the purser's desk with my request to do so and was handed a form to sign. I was NOT required, or even asked, to give a reason. I was NOT asked to step into an enclosed area to explain. I was NOT ridiculed, scolded, chastised, taunted or made to feel uncomfortable or embarrassed or ashamed. If my name was then on a list for my cabin steward to see I can assure you I received the same wonderful service for my trips with and without the auto tip in place. Nobody is going to judge you for removing this tip. Cunard on the site calls it a "discretionary" charge that you may leave on, adjust the amount or remove. We should really stop scaring the newbies on this site.

My next trip has the auto-gratuities paid by Cunard. I wonder if ALL that money goes into the tip pot. :confused:

Unlike Cunard, HAL calls it a "hotel service charge". Nowhere is it defined as "discretionary." However, as stated on their website: "If our service exceeds or fails to meet your expectations, you are free to adjust this amount at the end of each segment and/or voyage." It does not say that one is free to remove it simply because they don't want to pay it.

Those of us who prefaced our comments with the note that we were referring to HAL's policies, have reason to warn others that Cunard may or may not follow a similar policy. If one is comfortable with denying the crew (which includes behind the scenes workers) with the service charge, that is their decision. The overwhelming feeling, however, on the HAL board is that it is unfair to the unseen workers and removing the service charge is nothing less than being tight. We have hotel service charges for land hotels; why not ship hotels.

However discretionary Cunard's policy may be, we will follow our usual policy of paying the service charge on our crossing next May on the QM2. We are so looking forward to experiencing this ship.