Maryland Murder Suspect Arrested on Coral Princess in Alaska

GradUT

I thought it strange that none of the news stories online mentioned the name of the cruise ship he was on. Finally found one which worked out the only ship scheduled in the port at the time was Coral Princess.

Why should they has nothing to do with the cruise line or crew ship.

News reports state the 31 year old man still lived with his parents in the same house he grew up in. The parents appear to have taken him on the cruise with them and were unaware of his actions. The suspect was found with blood soaked money in his wallet. The police linked him as a suspect from similarities to a prior burglary of the same house 17 years earlier as well as links to items stolen from a different neighbor two weeks before the murder.

Thanks for these details. I guess he spent his last days of freedom enjoying himself...on someone else's dime...either the parents or the victims, or BOTH.

So, so sad. But look at your local news each evening. This appears, to me any way, to be getting worse rather than better.

What is so scary to me, his parents could have been the next victims. He had no respect for human life. I feel bad for the parents and for his victims and their family. I know they're in a state of shock.

Hmm...so much for the TSA checks of the passenger manifest before the ship sails. He had to have a passport for an Alaskan cruise...if he was a known criminal there were opportunities to keep him off the ship.

Hmm...so much for the TSA checks of the passenger manifest before the ship sails. He had to have a passport for an Alaskan cruise...if he was a known criminal there were opportunities to keep him off the ship.

No, he didn't have to have a passport. He could have boarded with a U.S. birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

Tom

He wasn't a known criminal. He was a US citizen under investigation of a crime. You aren't a criminal until you are found guilty. His passport would not have been tagged in any way and nor would the manifest. He committed the crime and got on the ship the same day. The cops moved quick but his information wasn't tagged hours after the crime happened.

Didn't this cruise embark in Vancouver? If so, let me provide some background here because I have a lot of experience in this arena, and I do know a little about this case outside of the media. As good as we are with Canada, extradition from there sucks, especially on capital crimes (crimes that could bring death penalty). It might have been a tactical decision to let him board in order to prevent this lengthy and possibly futile process with Canada.

No, he didn't have to have a passport. He could have boarded with a U.S. birth certificate and government-issued photo ID.

Tom

No, he sailed from Vancouver. He would have needed a passport to enter Canada...

He wasn't a known criminal. He was a US citizen under investigation of a crime. You aren't a criminal until you are found guilty. His passport would not have been tagged in any way and nor would the manifest. He committed the crime and got on the ship the same day. The cops moved quick but his information wasn't tagged hours after the crime happened.

No, he was arrested this past Saturday 5/16. Mother's Day was 2 weeks ago. He had a long time to think about his crime, and the police had plenty of time to tag his passport. I do believe you need a passport in Canada where he boarded. How did he slip through the cracks? He should have slipped away in Vancouver, as Canada doesn't extradite criminals if there's a chance of him getting the death penalty. I guess he thought he would get away with the perfect crime.

I think he was already on the cruise before the Maryland police established that he was the prime suspect. So his passport wouldn't have been "flagged" at the time he boarded in Vancouver.

The bottom line is that he's been caught and will hopefully pay dearly for his horrible crime.

No, he sailed from Vancouver. He would have needed a passport to enter Canada...

Not according to the Canadian website that says

"Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card."

If you want to verify this, here's the website:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

(Only reason I had this info was that I had a question on this subject a few days ago and went to look it up.):)

Tom

I expected to see something about this on Cruise Critic. The suspect, who has confessed to the murder, left last week with his family for the Alaska cruise the day after he killed his next-door neighbors in Rockville, Maryland. He was arrested on Saturday in Juneau as he was disembarking for a whale-watching excursion.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local/crime/neighbor-of-rockville-couple-charged-in-mothers-day-double-homicide/2015/05/17/4cf92fd2-fca7-11e4-8b6c-0dcce21e223d_story.html?hpid=z2

Amazing. Glad he's in custody.....

Bob

Not according to the Canadian website that says

"Identification requirements for U. S. citizens and permanent residents

If you are a U.S. citizen, ensure you carry proof of citizenship such as a passport, birth certificate, a certificate of citizenship or naturalization, a U.S. Permanent Resident Card, or a Certificate of Indian Status along with photo identification. If you are a U.S. permanent resident, ensure you carry proof of your status such as a U.S. Permanent Resident Card."

If you want to verify this, here's the website:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/travel-voyage/td-dv-eng.html#_s2a

(Only reason I had this info was that I had a question on this subject a few days ago and went to look it up.):)

Tom

Yes but you can't fly into Canada without a passport.

As good as we are with Canada, extradition from there sucks, especially on capital crimes (crimes that could bring death penalty).

Interesting, singing off key in church will bar you from entry into Canada (so to speak) yet they will hold on tight to capital murderers?

No, he was arrested this past Saturday 5/16. Mother's Day was 2 weeks ago. He had a long time to think about his crime, and the police had plenty of time to tag his passport. I do believe you need a passport in Canada where he boarded. How did he slip through the cracks? He should have slipped away in Vancouver, as Canada doesn't extradite criminals if there's a chance of him getting the death penalty. I guess he thought he would get away with the perfect crime.

Because it takes time to establish a little thing called Probable Cause. You can't just tag a passport and write a warrant on a hunch. 6 days is actually lightning fast. It was actually less than that because if my math is correct, this cruise embarked 3 days after Mothers Day. I applaud the MD cops in this case for being able to put this together so quickly.

Besides, Police do not "tag" passports. Passports are a federal document. Police can only enter a person in NCIC and again, probable cause has to first be established.

Edited by Aquahound

Interesting, singing off key in church will bar you from entry into Canada (so to speak) yet they will hold on tight to capital murderers?

It's a political thing. Countries who oppose the death penalty tend to be reluctant to extradite. Miss a court date on a DUI and they'll put you on the first plane back though! :rolleyes:

Because it takes time to establish a little thing called Probable Cause. You can't just tag a passport and write a warrant on a hunch. 6 days is actually lightning fast. It was actually less than that because if my math is correct, this cruise embarked 3 days after Mothers Day. I applaud the MD cops in this case for being able to put this together so quickly.

Besides, Police do not "tag" passports. Passports are a federal document. Police can only enter a person in NCIC and again, probable cause has to first be established.

I agree, the Maryland police did a very good job of connecting the dots quickly.

You just don't know anymore .

a little over a month ago our computer tech at work . Who was responsible for all the police, fire and 9-1-1 computers for the city ( I am a 9-1-1- dispatcher), becomes a person of interest in a case about a woman who left a bar the Friday night before and hasn't been seen for a couple days.

I guess the woman was last seen in a bar this guy owns and there is security footage from the parking lot of her and this guy walking to a car and she looks a little tipsy and is leaning on him. they question him, he is cooperative but they don't have a lot to go by so they let him go.

A couple days later we hear he is on administrative leave while they continue the case. he is still cooperating , but he hasn't been charged. Obviously they were following up on tips and evidence they weren't telling us about.

A day later police in a neighboring town find body parts in a marshy area along with an axe on the scene. police go flying up to the guys house to get him. They knock on the door a few times, and hear a gunshot from inside , break in and they find him dead .

They still don't know the whole story, maybe never will. Of course the rumor mill was in full swing .

When these things happen , you always hear the old cliché "the guy was the nicest guy in the world ....The absolute last person you would think of doing something like this." The guy worked with us for 16 years and I can truly say the same thing about him. You just never know