Roughest seas you have experienced?

BonnieSte

Southern Caribbean, eastern or western? I always sail between March-May. I don't know if it is just dumb luck but I have never had any luck with the western runs... how about your?

Our first cruise aboard the Disney Magic, August 1997. The seas were so rough that the ship couldn't leave port. They finally used two tugs to push the ship away from the dock. The ship couldn't do it even with the thrusters. We didn't know any better and thought this was normal. The only people able to walk straight and upright were those that had imbibed. It was a great 3 day cruise and the seas calmed by the next day.

Crossing from Australia to New Zealand. Horrendous waves. Spoke to a crew member the following day who admitted to over 2000 pieces of crockery broken (had visions of us running out of plates :)) along with many high-end bottles of spirits (could have cried at this one :D)

However, and most importantly, no-one was hurt. Plates and drinks can be replaced, we humans can't. Interestingly I wasn't sick, lots were, but I threw up on one of mildest crossings of the Bay of Biscay!! Still trying to work that one out.

Crossing from Australia to New Zealand. Horrendous waves. Spoke to a crew member the following day who admitted to over 2000 pieces of crockery broken (had visions of us running out of plates :)) along with many high-end bottles of spirits (could have cried at this one :D)

However, and most importantly, no-one was hurt. Plates and drinks can be replaced, we humans can't. Interestingly I wasn't sick, lots were, but I threw up on one of mildest crossings of the Bay of Biscay!! Still trying to work that one out.

The sad thing is that some of the low lives on here would be blaming the poor waiters for the broken plates.

The sad thing is that some of the low lives on here would be blaming the poor waiters for the broken plates.

We were on 2nd sitting which was slightly delayed as they cleared up the mess and the table next to us (10 people) ordered a round of drinks. The ship was really both rocking & rolling as most of us kept clutching the table in order not to fall over. We watched as the waiter approached the table with a full tray of cold drinks, beers, etc and carefully place each drink in front of the passenger. He didn't spill a drop and got a loud cheer and a round of applause from both his table and ours. Absolutely amazing.

Incidentally, our waiter told us that they had been informed that the storm would subside at 9.15 pm and guess what, he was right, virtually to the minute. Now how did they know that !!!!

Hands down, The Drake! It was like glass going south from Ushuaia to Antarctica, but on the way back waves were breaking over the top of the ship. The crew stowed all the vases and art-things, and we were told to secure everything in our cabins. That night I wondered why they don't have "bed-belts" to keep you fastened down.

We experienced 30-foot seas on our first cruise as a couple in December 1989. It was a western Caribbean cruise. We hit the rough seas on the way back to Miami. They were caused by a massive cold front. The temps hit below freezing in Miami when we came back to the U.S.

The other time we've experienced 30-foot seas (and 50 knot winds) was on a cruise from Norfolk. We hit the rough weather off the coast of the Carolinas on the way back. It was also a December cruise.

Our "rougest" was in 1991 on the Celebrity Meridian when we cruised right through Hurricane Bob (the storm changed course and hit us dead center). Seas ran well over 40 feet (with peaks of 50+ according to our Captain) for about 12 hours. But the worst was on a normal TA requisitioning cruise on the Jewel of the Seas when we cruised from Florida to Ireland. A very nasty "Noreaster" came off the USA and caught us the first morning out of Florida. This storm stayed with us all the way to Ireland with constant high seas of 25-30 feet. And we had these seas for 4 straight days! Not only did they never fill the pools, but they had to even drain the spas.

Hank

Hurricane off Greenland on the Grand Princess. We were surrounded by ice bergs. The storm lasted 24 hours. Captain had to do sharp right turn to escape. Everything on the ship had to be secured and everyone had to remain in their cabins. Many people were injured. I'm prone to sea sickness but wasn't bothered. I was afraid of falling so stayed in my cabin.

Our "rougest" was in 1991 on the Celebrity Meridian when we cruised right through Hurricane Bob (the storm changed course and hit us dead center). Seas ran well over 40 feet (with peaks of 50+ according to our Captain) for about 12 hours. But the worst was on a normal TA requisitioning cruise on the Jewel of the Seas when we cruised from Florida to Ireland. A very nasty "Noreaster" came off the USA and caught us the first morning out of Florida. This storm stayed with us all the way to Ireland with constant high seas of 25-30 feet. And we had these seas for 4 straight days! Not only did they never fill the pools, but they had to even drain the spas.

Hank

And you are still sailing. I'm impressed!

And you are still sailing. I'm impressed!

LOL, surely you jest. Yes, we still cruise (usually over 70 days a year) and love every day of every cruise. To be really honest, neither DW or moi are really bothered by rough seas as long as we are capable of holding our Kindles steady enough to read. In fact, all that movement will often just rock me asleep! What we found very interesting was that on that RCI "cruise from hell" with day after day of heavy seas, most on the ship seemed quite happy. It was an early spring repo cruise with mostly older well seasoned cruisers who knew hot to "roll with the waves." After 3 days a group of passengers were grumbling about not being able to do their daily laps in the pool. So in the afternoon of the 3rd (maybe 4th) day when it calmed down to about 20 foot seas (for only a few hours) they did try to fill the indoor pool. When it got about 2/3 full we actually got to see what 15 foot waves looked like inside a ship :). Everyone on that pool deck (including moi) were quickly soaked and they quickly emptied the pool (again). It was the most fun of the crossing :).

And by the way, since your nick is "Celebrity" that cruise through Hurricane Bob was on the Celebrity Meridian. A good ole ship with a nice deep hull.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner