Need help about New Zealand please...

Thx again to all.....each response just adds another layer of mystery and excitement to this trip. The train looks wonderful, and we will for sure get the kruse audio trip-responder suggested by lyndarra for our 11day car rental...it gets oodles of rave reviews.

Now, another question. We had planned this trip about 4 years ago, and had started to gather a little info. Life got in the way, and we cancelled. Stupidly, I trashed the info I had gathered, and I need to know if anyone can identify this place for me. I don't know if it was north air south island. You got on a sort of individual train car which held, I believe just 4 people..two in front, and two in back at a slightly higher level so they could see it all too it have a roof too. You were on an old railroad track no longer used commercially. The scenery was amazing...and I think I am correct that there was a taped commentary too, but perhaps not. The web site had a great video with music and everything. The carts were self propelled, and left the starting point about every minute and a half or so, so you had the illusion you were on your own in the world! I am desperate to see if I can find it again. It looked like such fun and so beautiful. Anybody able to help? Thx. Cheers, ma

Thx again to all.....each response just adds another layer of mystery and excitement to this trip. The train looks wonderful, and we will for sure get the kruse audio trip-responder suggested by lyndarra for our 11day car rental...it gets oodles of rave reviews.

Now, another question. We had planned this trip about 4 years ago, and had started to gather a little info. Life got in the way, and we cancelled. Stupidly, I trashed the info I had gathered, and I need to know if anyone can identify this place for me. I don't know if it was north air south island. You got on a sort of individual train car which held, I believe just 4 people..two in front, and two in back at a slightly higher level so they could see it all too it have a roof too. You were on an old railroad track no longer used commercially. The scenery was amazing...and I think I am correct that there was a taped commentary too, but perhaps not. The web site had a great video with music and everything. The carts were self propelled, and left the starting point about every minute and a half or so, so you had the illusion you were on your own in the world! I am desperate to see if I can find it again. It looked like such fun and so beautiful. Anybody able to help? Thx. Cheers, ma

Try this one...

http://www.railcruising.com/

Wow, learn somehting new every day. Been to Rotorua a number of times and never heard of this. Maybe next trip?? :)

It's great fun. We did it a few years ago. I would have expected them to have expanded it, as planned, so that the base was in Rotorua itself, not at Mamuku but obviously that hasn't happened. At least their website hasn't changed to indicate this.

It's a there and back trip, very quiet going down as the railcar is virtually coasting, then goes back up the hill using the motor.

Pretty scenery.

Thank you , KIwi Kruiser......I knew somebody would be able to make sense out of my query...glad mr walker is a convert too!! Will not lose this again. Google was no help...my key words were not on target I guess. These train trips will open up the coastal waters for we cruisers when we hit land. Or add diversity if we are back in an area by car later. This has to be an example of techy life at its best! Marg

Thank you for the links.

If the NZ family cant come visit us on our port days we will definately be doing a few excursions :)

whoo hoo its only 277 days until my cruise to NZ!

Hahahahaha so much fun thinking about what we can do LOL

I notice not many people talk about Wellington . We are looking at a trip where after a few weeks on the South Island we are thinking of taking the Coastal Express from Christchurch to Wellington ( it includes an overnight in Blenhiem, wine tasting tour and the ferry). Once at Wellington we are trying to figure out if we should spend one, two or three nights there before heading up to Auckland . Any suggestions on how long to stay? We are avid hikers ( will have been doing many hikes on the South Island) and love nature and watching wildlife. We also enjoy good food and wine.

Three nights would give you two full days to sightsee in Wellington. Te Papa Museum is worth spending a few hours at, for a start.

If you enjoy good food and wine I'd suggest you then travel (by car) to Martinborough in the Wairarapa and spend a couple of nights there. Excellent wineries and Martinborough pinot noir is some of the best in NZ.

Also in the Wairarapa, a bit further north, is the Mt Bruce wildlife sanctuary which is worth visiting.

After that I'd suggest driving through the Manawatu Gorge and heading up to the Tongariro National Park where there are some great hikes. Stay at the Chateau Tongariro - an historic and landmark hotel.

I believe there are some good hikes in the Coromandel, and also in the Waitakare Ranges of Auckland. For more good wine and food spend a few days on Waiheke Island. There is also a wildlife sanctuary near Auckland - Tiri Tiri Matangi Island - and you can do day trips there by ferry. Good walks on the island and rare birds.

Thanks for all of the good info.i am inclined to spend the three nights at Wellington both for the reasons you suggest and because I prefer not to move and pack and unpack every day or two. I prefer not to rent a car ( especially if I am going to be wine tasting). Perhaps we can find a wine tour from Wellington that goes there for the day.From Wellington we thought we would take the scenic train to Auckland -- and they do offer an option of an overnight at Chateau Tongariro. So this might be a good way to get in a nice afternoon hike and break up the train trip. From Auckland I would prefer to stay put and take day trips to the Coromandel a Peninsula and Waiheke Island. I will look into the wildlife sanctuary. Can't wait.

if it is January you will have excellent weather, and plenty of Maori culture at Waitangi. Just be aware that February 8th, 2016 is Waitangi Day and there will be crowds there.

No it isn't. Waitangi Day is always February 6th

We have decided on the first 6 days and have booked a spot in Paihia to use as a base. If necessary we can also stay overnight while looking around the northern area ,...i.e. not use our pre booked home for that night. Now, I need to know if we need to pre book the last 5 nights. Really don't know where we want to go...so much depends on what we do with our port time on the way to Aukland. As it will be the 19 of February by the tome we are on that leg of the trip I wonder if with kids back in school and the summer coming to an end, do we need to worry about not finding a roof over our heads for the night if we just wing it? Thinking we will stay in 2 or 3 towns for those 5 nights. Our flight out of AKL is mid afternoon, so we do not need to be that near the city the last night.

opinions valued....Thx. Marg

I would book, Marg. Even though the kids are back in school there are quite a lot of tourists in NZ at that time and also locals without children often take their holidays then.

We went around the Coromandel Peninsula a few years ago in March. The popular towns were very busy and we had to book ahead, or dine quite late, to get into some of the better restaurants.

We have decided on the first 6 days and have booked a spot in Paihia to use as a base. If necessary we can also stay overnight while looking around the northern area ,...i.e. not use our pre booked home for that night. Now, I need to know if we need to pre book the last 5 nights. Really don't know where we want to go...so much depends on what we do with our port time on the way to Aukland. As it will be the 19 of February by the tome we are on that leg of the trip I wonder if with kids back in school and the summer coming to an end, do we need to worry about not finding a roof over our heads for the night if we just wing it? Thinking we will stay in 2 or 3 towns for those 5 nights. Our flight out of AKL is mid afternoon, so we do not need to be that near the city the last night.

opinions valued....Thx. Marg

In order to properly see the far north you are going to need to stay at least 3 nights in Paihia. 1st night on arrival, 2nd night after a day out in the Bay and 3rd night after going to Cape Reinga in the bus. I would strongly advise that you base yourself out of Paihia for these excursions and that whilst it is possioble to drive to Cape Reinga the bus trip gives all including the driver a better view of surroundings and besides you wont be able to take your car up 90 mile beach or through the Te Paki stream. Rental car companies don't allow it. An additional night I recommend is Matakana. I would also recommend that you be back in Auckland for your last night to ensure that you can catch your flight mid afternoon. You do want to breakdown 2 hours out of Auckland unable to make alternate arrangements to catch your flight. It is possible to have too much of a good thing, that's why we live here in GODZOWN.

Schools by the way are back from summer holidays at the beginning of February

I got the impression that Marg had already planned the Paihia part of her trip with 6 nights already booked.

I agree, Matakana would be a nice place to spend a night. Good food and wine there these days. ;)

But if she is wanting to see something like the Coromandel then I'd suggest a couple of nights in Coromandel itself and maybe three nights in Whitianga.

I'd also agree on spending the last night in Auckland.

Edited by OzKiwiJJ

Hi Marg, I absolutely agree with Beanb41 and OzKiwiJJ with staying a night in Matakana too on the way back to Auckland if you have time. Along with lovely wineries, you can also visit nice surrounding beaches, and Marine Reserve (Goat Island) is also in the same region. There's plenty in the region to capture your interest and worth seeing.

Matakana is on the official itinerary with unanimous recommendations from you all!! Also, Coromandel has been on the short list since I read these words in my Lonely Planet book." Supremely located and gobsmackingly beautiful, the rugged tip of the Coromandel Peninsula is well worth the effort required to reach it". Now, gobsmackingly is not a common Canadian adjective, but it certainly calls to me to see just how fantastic this place must be!!! It makes me laugh just to say it!

Yes, we will take the other sage advice and arrive near the airport the night before. I know that is the wise move......just wanted to eke out the last possible sunset! Thanks for the suggestion to pre book...hadn't thought of the locals using the back to school time frame to enjoy their holidays too. The exact same thing happens here on Sept first when the families leave and the seniors with their motor homes arrive!!

It is obvious we will seek lots of wonderful things, and will have to return another time to do more. It is also apparent we will have to use port stops on the way up the backbone of New Zealand to do more than just hang out in town.....we won't get back to them on the second leg of our trip this time around. We will plan judiciously to balance sightseeing with breathing room, and a chance to enjoy the people too. We are not dawn to dusk travellers, and have learned to use the locals to get local flavour. One of our favourite things is to just ask our waitress after lunching in a small town, " what three things do we need to see near here, before we leave your home?" We have gone down many a little road to an idyllic setting, or local"secret!"

Thanks again.....I will undoubtedly be back!

Just another tip, Marg, :)

on your way back driving to Auckland from Northland (Paihia etc) and after Matakana, there will be two route options

Through the tunnel (that is tolled) and motorway that is not much to see;

Or (and this would be my recommendation):

2. Turn off to the left to Orewa just before the tunnel and follow the road a distance, up down and around, and you will soon be able to drink in the BEAUTIFUL views of Orewa beach from up high. There are parking bays to stop and take photos and drink in the gorgeous views and beach. You will pass Waiwera Thermal Pools on the way.

The views are all on the left hand side, which is easy access to stop and park and get back on the road again if you take this route coming back to Auckland.

If you stay on that main road all the way through Orewa and a little place called Silverdale, you can turn back on to the motorway to Auckland city.

Edited by Embrace

This is so exactly the kind of insider info we want.....thank you. I am writing down all the suggestions and advice..it will be priceless I know. If Any of you need insider opinions about Vancouver Island in Canada, just ask...would love to reciprocate the help! I know of a few gobsmacking spots!! Cheers marg