Summit Dinning Sans Alcohol

YAKE

My DW and I are both foodies and I want to reserve a cabin on Summits 9/18/16 Canada / New England cruise for her birthday. Love the idea of a Sky Suite and Luminae or Aqua Class and Blu. However I don't consume alcohol at all. So at times it limits my menu selections would I be better off with Concierge Class and MDR plus Specialty Restaurants?

If you mean alcohol in the sauces, it should have been burnt off just leaving the taste.

You can always not have the sauce but you say that you are a foodie . . this must have cropped up before then.

My DW and I are both foodies and I want to reserve a cabin on Summits 9/18/16 Canada / New England cruise for her birthday. Love the idea of a Sky Suite and Luminae or Aqua Class and Blu. However I don't consume alcohol at all. So at times it limits my menu selections would I be better off with Concierge Class and MDR plus Specialty Restaurants?

Whatever dining venue you end up in choosing, just talk to your waiter. Tell him you cannot have any food that has been prepared with alcohol. He will let you know each night what to avoid, sometimes it is just in the sauce.

My friend had to eat gluten free and in the MDR, our waiter was excellent in this regard.

Whatever dining venue you end up in choosing, just talk to your waiter. Tell him you cannot have any food that has been prepared with alcohol. He will let you know each night what to avoid, sometimes it is just in the sauce.

My friend had to eat gluten free and in the MDR, our waiter was excellent in this regard.

I have been over 300 nights at sea and they have always accomodated me in this way. I agree that the sauce is often the culprit, but there are other ways alcohol can get in there. The maitre d' and your waiter will take good care of you.

Reference Moriban's comment. While chemically the alcohol might "burn off," depending on your reasons for not wanting alcohol, that may not be good enough. I am a recovering alcoholic with over 33 years of sobriety. I am concerned that if the taste is still there, psychologically I convince myself that alcohol makes it better. Then, it is a slippery slope. I have never had a "slip" and choose to walk as far from the edge of the cliff that I can.

Anyway, the restaurant staff has handled this situation many times in the past and your request will be a piece of cake for them.

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

I was trying in round about way not to say I'm and alcoholic (29 years sober). What I'm looking for is the best selection of alcohol free menu items per venue.

I don't think any food has or is cooked with alcohol. There may be a few deserts that list it as an ingredient such as rum sauce. If any cooked food has alcohol it is usually burnt off.

I don't think you will have a problem with any dining option.

happy cruising 🌊🚢🇺🇸🌞

I was trying in round about way not to say I'm and alcoholic (29 years sober). What I'm looking for is the best selection of alcohol free menu items per venue.

Congratulations and commendations on 29 years sober. :)

They do add to desserts quite a bit - I would just consult with your server. Don't let that limit your dining choice anywhere on the ship. They are happy to accommodate you.

Have a great cruise.

If you get a sky suite, you will get access to Luminae for the food, but not Michaels for the cocktail parties. This should work for you. They will not push wine or drinks on you either in Luminae or the specialty dining spots. Food was super in the Luminae.

Congratulations on your many years of sobriety.

I took the liberty of googling the question, "are foods cooked with alcohol safe for an alcoholic to eat". I was amazed what I read. I too thought alcohol burned off with cooking...not necessarily true.

If you google the same question, there are a lot of good links to read.

Enjoy your cruise. :)

it should have been burnt off just leaving the taste.

No, it doesn't all burn off. A certain percentage remains.

I used to think that until reading a few articles some years ago.

We have traveled with several friends that for both your reason and other reasons cannot have alcohol at all. You'll run into wine in a lot of things. Pasta and sauces for steak specifically. Desserts will be likely to have things like rum or orange liqueur. I would speak to the Maitre D' on your first night aboard. If you want to be very strict about it then treat it like an allergy. You'll have to specify that you want no alcohol at all, not even cooked.

They've always been very accommodating and will go out of their way to create alternative sauces or leave things off. It helps if you know what you like and how to request things. Give them ideas! Good luck!

Oh and check your Celebrity Today for meetings, they should have one just about every day.

It takes something like 3 hours of cooking to burn off even a small amount of alcohol. The average meal which might be cooked for 10 minutes after alcohol is added would still contain at least 50% of the alcohol used. The "alcohol gets burned off" thing is a myth.

Same issue for me. Once on RC I took a bite of a dessert that the description didn't have alcohol and clearly it did. I definitely took it up with the head waiter, it's unacceptable and dangerous. I also can't tolerate caffeine, so the number of desserts with booze or coffee can be limiting at times.

I was pregnant last cruise and our waiters knew that. We also had a guy who'd been sober 20 years at our table. Neither of us struggled to eat any of the mains. He had at least two a night! There were only a few deserts that caused a problem but they said they had alcohol on the menu.

To be honest, I struggled more finding stuff that didn't set off my morning sickness but that's no one's fault!

The staff will do all they can to please you and are very discreet so whichever venue you're eating at, they will advise accordingly.

Edited by Cooso

Congratulations on your tremendous feat. I would ask your server how what you would like is cooked and specifically ask if there is any alcohol in it and if they say yes, as if it could be prepared without it. Knowing Celebrity, I don't think you will have an issue at any restaurants, as they are so accommodating. Edited by NLH Arizona