Upgrading on Holland America Zuiderdam

MLabrosc02

Hi everyone, we will be cruising for the first time in about a month...we have an N stateroom (cheapest). We assume we won't be on the boat as much.

I asked my travel agent to see if there was any upgrades we can have as we paid more for our room a few months back. They offered us a VH cabin but we forfeit our on board credit that HA gave us (we still have an onboard credit that was provided by our travel agent).

So my question is, is it worth the upgrade considering we are forfeiting a total of $200 on board credit? Also, if we are in N right now, what are the chances we get upgraded without having to do this through the travel agency? And final question, if I accept the upgrade now to VH, do we have a chance to get upgraded later again??

Thanks in advance and sorry for the questions!

Mike

I'd take the upgrade to a VH without hesitation. That would be worth losing $200 obc but that's my take only. You are "likely" to get an upgrade from a VH but it's not a sure thing. If you stick with the n cabin if you get an upgrade it would likely be to another inside cabin.

The "hows" and "whys" of upgrades are industry secrets- nobody will be able to tell you your chances of an upgrade.

I hear ya. I think I am going to take the upgrade now considering the risk. I forfeit $200 but for a VH room, I think its worth it for experience alone.

It is just a hard decision because of the on board credit we will be losing.

I'd take the upgrade to a VH without hesitation. That would be worth losing $200 obc but that's my take only. You are "likely" to get an upgrade from a VH but it's not a sure thing. If you stick with the n cabin if you get an upgrade it would likely be to another inside cabin.

Yep, I agree. I took your advice and went with the upgrade to VH.

Really appreciate your input on this!! Thanks!!

Are you doing an upsell or an upgrade?

It's an upgrade...I called my travel agent to ask if there was any upgrades available considering I paid much more than what the cabins are worth today. So they offered the VH cabin which is the same cost today as the N cabin was in March. The only issue was that it did not come with an on board credit like the N cabin did in March. I still have the travel agency on board credit so I still have some funds in that regard.

I felt like it was a good deal so I went with my gut and took the upgrade.

We paid about the same ($109 pp) for an actual upsell from a N to a VB last year, so this is within range. We thought it well worth the money.

I would consider asking if HAL will give you some OBC instead of the upgrade, though, since you won't be on the ship much (short cruise, 2 sea days).

If you have an N guarentee you will likely be in an inside.

Yea, I think I am happy with my choice!! haha

Considering I did not have to pay anything out of pocket and just forfeited HAL's on board credit, I didn't give it much thought it just did it. I could have gone that route and asked for more OBC for keeping the N but can't do that now which I am ok with.

Can't wait to cruise! This is our first cruise of any kind and we are excited. A little nervous about sea sickness but I don't think the Mediterranean will be that bad.

Now I will have to start a topic about finding transportation from the airport to the Port...

Yea, I think I am happy with my choice!! haha

Considering I did not have to pay anything out of pocket and just forfeited HAL's on board credit, I didn't give it much thought it just did it. I could have gone that route and asked for more OBC for keeping the N but can't do that now which I am ok with.

Can't wait to cruise! This is our first cruise of any kind and we are excited. A little nervous about sea sickness but I don't think the Mediterranean will be that bad.

Now I will have to start a topic about finding transportation from the airport to the Port...

I'm obsessed with having a balcony. I used to do insides all the time. After my first balcony the rot set in. I think ya done good:D.

It's an upgrade...I called my travel agent to ask if there was any upgrades available considering I paid much more than what the cabins are worth today. So they offered the VH cabin which is the same cost today as the N cabin was in March. The only issue was that it did not come with an on board credit like the N cabin did in March. I still have the travel agency on board credit so I still have some funds in that regard.

I felt like it was a good deal so I went with my gut and took the upgrade.

Thank you for explaining.

Glad you decided to take the upgrade.

You won't regret it.

We paid about the same ($109 pp) for an actual upsell from a N to a VB last year, so this is within range. We thought it well worth the money.

I would consider asking if HAL will give you some OBC instead of the upgrade, though, since you won't be on the ship much (short cruise, 2 sea days).

If you have an N guarentee you will likely be in an inside.

That was a great uosell. I can tell you I paid a lot more than that to go from an obstructed oceanview to a balcony on the Noordam in March.

Once on board the ship, take a stroll by some N-category cabins when they are being cleaned, and take a peek inside.

You will never be sorry you gave up the $200 for the VH---even if that's what you end up in.

That was a great uosell. I can tell you I paid a lot more than that to go from an obstructed oceanview to a balcony on the Noordam in March.

Supply and demand worked out for us on that one! That's why we took it, fast.

Unfortunately, the VAs had already flown out the window, so we took the VB.

May your next upsell beat this one!!

There are only 4 VH cabins on the ship; you have a good chance of getting upgraded to an even better cabin.

Oh, so even though I upgraded to VH today, there is also a chance I can get upgraded again when it is time to sail? That would be pretty sweet for sure!

Once on board the ship, take a stroll by some N-category cabins when they are being cleaned, and take a peek inside.

You will never be sorry you gave up the $200 for the VH---even if that's what you end up in.

I just did the virtual tour on the HAL's website...boy, they are tight!! An extra 100 sq ft is definitely worth it thus far!! And a balcony! I figured if I had any regret in upgrading so quick, it would happen today. But not at all. Glad I took the upgrade.