Cruising with ONLY Carry On Luggage

Fogfog

Yes. Freedom is a good description!

I must say I find it both amusing and creepy that someone would check out whether I was wearing the same bathing suit from day to day. That's kind of weird and "get a life" comes to mind.

:D Yes, better to be known for our awesome dance moves! Friendly smile and impeccable manners.:cool:

We are on the Baltic/St Pete cruise, with 5 days precruise in London, and my plan is to take a carryon and a large Vera Bradley duffle bag. On previous cruises I've been able to wash clothes (yeah! Mom gets to spend time in the laundrymat while others go to the pool, read on the balcony, etc.) I wish we had that option on the Eclipse.

I'm a simple person and I'm planning on a pair of jeans, a pair of black pants, a couple of capri pants, plain knit shirts in all colors to go with them. A couple of dressy tops and a long black shirt. Wear tennis shoes on the plane and take a light jacket.

My husband is a large guy and his stuff just won't fit in a carryon. Two daughters -- one could probably do a carry on; the other will want a new outfit and matching shoes each day.

I think your last paragraph raises a good consideration. Even with good intentions, if you are a larger person your clothes take up a lot more room than a smaller persons. For example, as a plus size woman (I will not say how plus sized, but not too bad:)), a six 6 woman could fit three tiny bikinis or more in the space it takes me to fit a one piece slenderizing Lands End swimsuit! Shorts, tops, similar story. Even shoes, as the differences in a size 6 shoe versus a size 10 shoe are considerable in both volume and weight.

Given our entire family is either tall or otherwise not small, two weeks in a carry-on would be virtually impossible. We could manage one week with very careful packing and some laundry sent out. You also need to be one of those people who don't feel the need to dress to the nines every night with a new outfit with shoes and handbag to match. I take black dress slacks, one pair of black dress shoes, one black purse and mix and match very lightweight tops. Over the years I have cared less and less about needing to try to look like a page out of Vogue every night (as if!)

You can use shampoo as washing liquid for clothes and conditioner can be used for shaving (try it)

I like to take my own shampoo and conditioner as I have 'difficult' hair (travel size bottles) but always use the hotel/cruise shampoo to wash out a few items and use the conditioner to shave in the shower every morning.

I often wash my undies while I am in the shower as it is quick and easy with a constant flow of water. Then I lay them on a clean towel, roll it up into a sausage shape and stand on it to squeeze out excess water. When I unroll the towel the items are barely wet and usually dry in an hour or two in the sun.

I've been using the TOWEL ROLL to remove moisture from clothing for years and years. It even works on jeans, allowing them to completely dry in one day....

Just remember to put those towel rolls in a place where the cabin attendant can't mistake them for wet towels, and remove them from your cabin.... THAT would be tragic!!!!

Always looking for ways to pack less...thanks for all the great suggestions!We've never achieved just roll aboard status but now only check a garment bag. We strive to book nonstop outbound flights and keep our checked luggage with us. One way I eliminate a liquid and added weight is by removing those perfume samples from magazines, etc. It's kinda fun experimenting with new scents. Liquids and medicine are our "Waterloo!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Always looking for ways to pack less...thanks for all the great suggestions!We've never achieved just roll aboard status but now only check a garment bag. Also try to book nonstop outbound flights and keep our checked luggage with us. One way I eliminate a liquid and added weight is by removing and using those perfume samples from magazines, etc. It's kinda fun experimenting with new scents. Liquids and medicine are our "Waterloo!"

Not necessarily a true statement, at least as it applies to ME!!!

The more I travel, the MORE I bring....

I hate flying, so I drive from Texas to FLL. and I love the drive.

In general it's true that people who travel a lot bring less. There are of coarse exceptions and if you never travel by air, train, ferry or foot I can see not worrying about luggage if you almost never have to touch it yourself.

More than carryon for our month in Italy/Greece this June July would have completely changed how we enjoyed our travels.

1ysink.jpg

Always looking for ways to pack less...thanks for all the great suggestions!We've never achieved just roll aboard status but now only check a garment bag. Also try to book nonstop outbound flights and keep our checked luggage with us. One way I eliminate a liquid and added weight is by removing and using those perfume samples from magazines, etc. It's kinda fun experimenting with new scents. Liquids and medicine are our "Waterloo!"

Trick one is to accept the fact that you can't carry more than a weeks worth of cleans... you will have to budget a bit for wash and fold,,, no biggie.

Don't forget to wear stuff on the first travel day, it counts.

2lxjuh2.jpg

s448pv.jpg

2qvv62v.jpg

292lb0z.jpg

Edited by A Sixth?

Even shoes, as the differences in a size 6 shoe versus a size 10 shoe are considerable in both volume and weight.

Hubby and I have this conversation every trip as one pair of his shoes is equal to 3 of mine, plus a lot of mine are sandal or strappy kind of shoes as opposed to his heavy, bulky athletic shoes, tux shoes, regular dress shoes, etc.

I would love to pack light but afraid I just don't have the genetic make up to do it.

I started out with good intentions. I used packing cubes and planned to wear knit tops and pants several times. Just before we left, I read through the entire dress code thread and started to panic so I threw in a couple of knit dresses and another pair of shoes. Things went well with the carry on suitcase and I started to put the overflow into my duffle bag. Duffle got very heavy!

Three weeks without access to laundry facilities is tough. I think I would have been ok if my duffle had wheels.

Trick one is to accept the fact that you can't carry more than a weeks worth of cleans... you will have to budget a bit for wash and fold,,, no biggie.

Don't forget to wear stuff on the first travel day, it counts.

2lxjuh2.jpg

s448pv.jpg

2qvv62v.jpg

292lb0z.jpg

It's hard to tell from pictures but the bigger one looks larger than the tight overhead measurements like on BAs website and the smaller one does not look like meets the personal bag to go under the seat for the entire flight requirement. Once I saw the weight and measurements on the airlines sites, I had to purchase a new carry one and we usually check one bag for both of us.

A lot of the carry ons don't meet the guidelines and occasionally have to be checked.

Hubby and I have this conversation every trip as one pair of his shoes is equal to 3 of mine, plus a lot of mine are sandal or strappy kind of shoes as opposed to his heavy, bulky athletic shoes, tux shoes, regular dress shoes, etc.

I would love to pack light but afraid I just don't have the genetic make up to do it.

Not in my DNA either, CC!!!!

More power to those who can, though....

I just didn't go on a cruise to have to end up doing laundry.

Not in my DNA either, CC!!!!

More power to those who can, though....

I just didn't go on a cruise to have to end up doing laundry.

Glad to have company. I really wish I could but I like to change to much when I'm on a cruise. Sometimes 3 different outfits a day. When I was younger and thought nothing of running back to the cabin (and was able to run) I would sometimes change 4 times a day.

Glad to have company. I really wish I could but I like to change to much when I'm on a cruise. Sometimes 3 different outfits a day. When I was younger and thought nothing of running back to the cabin (and was able to run) I would sometimes change 4 times a day.

LOL!!! Me too....

I have a dedicated cruise closet full of outfits that I never wear at home.

I will close with this:

%2bVw&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Here's the SUV:

th?&id=JN.YTX2L5gqlrvYypt7UefcJA&w=300&h=300&c=0&pid=1.9&rs=0&p=0

Love love love it.... LOL!!.

Three weeks without access to laundry facilities is tough. I think I would have been ok if my duffle had wheels.

All the Celebrity ships have laundry service, things that are sent out in the morning are back the next afternoon or early evening. :)

You can get same day, but it's much more expensive.

It's hard to tell from pictures but the bigger one looks larger than the tight overhead measurements like on BAs website and the smaller one does not look like meets the personal bag to go under the seat for the entire flight requirement. Once I saw the weight and measurements on the airlines sites, I had to purchase a new carry one and we usually check one bag for both of us.

A lot of the carry ons don't meet the guidelines and occasionally have to be checked.

I can assure you that those bags are completely within airline rules. I have traveled with the same airline bags for many many years and never once have they not measured in.

Looking at the above photos - I would rather stay home - sorry. :o We don't travel as often as many and when we do - dressing nicely is part of the experience for me. Last cruise they had to bring in a rolling garment rod to the cabin (Sky suite) to hold my clothes - and I had the time of my life.:eek: To each his own - I won't judge you - so don't judge me :D Alaska in May I AM packing lighter for our 15 nights - only taking black, white and gray. While we will have more than carry on - I'm limiting us to 1 carry on and 1 check bag each. I'm considering it a personal challenge.

I can assure you that those bags are completely within airline rules. I have traveled with the same airline bags for many many years and never once have they not measured in.

Do you mind giving the brand name of the larger bag and the weight when empty?

Thanks

They measured in on the airlines you flew. Are you saying you put one lenghtwise one the overhead and one under the seat in front of you? If so I too want the details on this luggage...

Edited by happy cruzer

Looking at the above photos - I would rather stay home - sorry. :o We don't travel as often as many and when we do - dressing nicely is part of the experience for me. Last cruise they had to bring in a rolling garment rod to the cabin (Sky suite) to hold my clothes - and I had the time of my life.:eek: To each his own - I won't judge you - so don't judge me :D Alaska in May I AM packing lighter for our 15 nights - only taking black, white and gray. While we will have more than carry on - I'm limiting us to 1 carry on and 1 check bag each. I'm considering it a personal challenge.

You travel light. No judging. Just saying.

They measured in on the airlines you flew. Are you saying you put one lenghtwise one the overhead and one under the seat in front of you? If so I too want the details on this luggage...

Not A Sixth here, but we usually travel pretty much the same way as A Sixth and each have a standard 21 inch rollaboard that goes into the overhead compartment on the large commercial jet planes.

When we fly on small commuter planes, they gate check the rollaboards, load them on the tarmac as we watch, and then we get them back right there on the tarmac as soon as the plane lands.

Since they are not sent to baggage claim with the regular checked luggage, there is none of the concern or suspense of worrying about whether or not your bag is going to show up at baggage claim.

We also each take a large, expandable travel shoulder bag (approximately 17 in wide X 11 in high x 7 in deep) as our "personal item" to go under the seat. It can double as a footrest, and can be "squished" if needed to fit into a tight space.

Although I am calling it a "shoulder bag" it very seldom actually goes on my shoulder but rather it just rides along on the back of my rollaboard.

A backpack can be used the same way.

Even on trips where we do check a regular suitcase, we always make sure to have all necessities and enough clothing for at least 3 or 4 days in the bags that we keep with us.

There have been too many times through the years when checked baggage was delayed or diverted and did not show up at baggage claim.

There were also a few times when we unexpectedly needed to spend the night at a connecting airport when a flight got canceled, for one reason or another. We really felt sorry for some of our fellow passengers who did not even have so much as a toothbrush or change of clothing with them.

I too would like the brand name.

We have traveled very much like you for years but my rolling suitcase is now 1 inch too big with the more stringent standards the airlines are using.

I am in the market for a new set with day pack (for under seat) and roller board for overhead bin.

Airlines will be changing the size allowed for carry on bags. Not sure when this is going to take place. I'll have to see if I can find the article to post. Foreign airlines already have a weight restriction on carry on bags. I had one that weighed more than18 pounds and KLM made me check it....although the attendant was very nice and did not charge me.

The bags are one of the styles Rick Steves always swears by and uses himself. (not the exact brand maybe but the two part carryon system)

Have used High Sierra AT3 Lite for many years

high-sierra-AT3-sierra-lite.jpghigh-sierra-at305-300x300.jpg

Oh by the way, we've flown business class or above for the last seven of ten flights as of late so baggage allowance is of little concern to us, ease of travel is.

Not for everyone, but the OP's question was if carryon only was something some cruisers do. Yes, some do. Most don't.

Just so everyone knows, I don't care what someone feels they need to bring, but I do take a bit of offence when somebody finds out I like Travel on only and get told things like, (and it happens a lot), "you must look terrible", "Don't want to sit downwind from you", "hope you eat all you meals at the buffet", "Why do you go on cruises then"

Relax, Celebrity loves Joni and me!

Edited by A Sixth?