After 20+ Cruises I finally got my First Upsell Offer!

Rosethorn40

I have called a cruise line before and inquired about a paid upsell, and gotten some great deals, but never have I had an actual offer from a cruise line.

I have a SY Guar. for our upcoming Eurodam cruise (12-day Baltic, leaving June 13th). Today I got an email offering to upsell me to a Neptune Suite for an additional $899 pp. It's probably a fair offer, but not sure if I want to shell out an additional $1900. A Signature Suite is more cabin then I usually book, so I think I will save my money.

I guess my cabin assignment can't be too far behind.

Congratulations but don't complain it took 20 cruises. :D :D Yours aren't even all HAL.

I've been on more than 80 HAL cruises and had 2 offers through all those cruises. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

Yes, indeed! Congratulations on your upsell offer! I had many more HAL cruises than yours before I received my one--and only so far--upsell offer.

Whether one decides to take it is, of course, solely a personal decision. On the Westerdam, I went from a VB to a SY to a SC, all for very reasonable prices. Most appreciative of the offer and am glad that I did!

Since the upsell offer is so rare I will relish the fact I even got one.:)

I had actually started in an interior, and when the prices started coming down after final payment date I called and upgraded myself to the SY for what I though was an excellent deal. DH has no clue that we are not in an interior. It's a surprise for when we get on board.

Congratulations but don't complain it took 20 cruises. :D :D Yours aren't even all HAL.

I've been on more than 80 HAL cruises and had 2 offers through all those cruises. ;)

You have to start at the bottom of the boat and then you'll likely see more. Not too many places to go from a neptune;).

We got our first upsell offer on our first cruise with HAL. It was from a Vista to a Neptune. I am cruising early in July in a Vista. I hope for an upsell to a Neptune once again but I am happy with our Vista Suite.

Laurie

You have to start at the bottom of the boat and then you'll likely see more. Not too many places to go from a neptune;).

You just commented you got a smoking deal on Pinnacle. (PH) Was that offer from a bottom of the boat cabin all the way up to a PH?

We actually did have two offers to upsell to a PH...... out of over 80 cruises. :D :D Doesn't matter. Had we wanted the PH, we would have booked it. We have been in it and I wasn't hurrying back at the additional cost when paying 'full boat'.

You just commented you got a smoking deal on Pinnacle. (PH) Was that offer from a bottom of the boat cabin all the way up to a PH?

We actually did have two offers to upsell to a PH...... out of over 80 cruises. :D :D Doesn't matter. Had we wanted the PH, we would have booked it. We have been in it and I wasn't hurrying back at the additional cost when paying 'full boat'.

No, it was from a neptune. I started out in a regular balcony. There is only one step up from a Neptune. My guess is that since there are two penthouse cabins on the ship there is a pretty good chance that there won't be many upsells. I'm shocked that it happened. The price was good in my mind but it certainly wasn't $100 or anything like that.

You have said many times you only cruise in Neptune Suites.

I imagine it would be less likely to get an upsell from there.

No, it was from a neptune. I started out in a regular balcony. There is only one step up from a Neptune. My guess is that since there are two penthouse cabins on the ship there is a pretty good chance that there won't be many upsells. I'm shocked that it happened. The price was good in my mind but it certainly wasn't $100 or anything like that.

I'm happy you got that offer. And very happy you enjoyed it. I recall when you were on that cruise and it sounded wonderful. :)

You have said many times you only cruise in Neptune Suites.

I imagine it would be less likely to get an upsell from there.

Actually, I remarked we got two offers through the years for upsell/upgrade to PH.

We received an upsell offer for the same cruise today. We were invited to move from a veranda to a Signature Suite for $499 pp.

That seems like a good offer to me. That I would have to consider :)

I took a closer look at what you get with a Neptune, and there are some nice perks (Free laundry!), but still happy with what I have.

Just to repeat what's been said before, you never have to wait for an upsell offer, you can always inquire to see what's available. I don't know that I've ever received an unsolicited upsell offer, but I've frequently inquired and sometimes taken what's offered.

Just to repeat what's been said before, you never have to wait for an upsell offer, you can always inquire to see what's available. I don't know that I've ever received an unsolicited upsell offer, but I've frequently inquired and sometimes taken what's offered.

You've been lucky. I've gotten pretty much nowhere by doing that.

My last upsell I asked for was on Maasdam January 2015 Caribbean for 10 days; went from an MM Guar. to CQ100 on Verandah deck for less than $200.

My last upsell I asked for was on Maasdam January 2015 Caribbean for 10 days; went from an MM Guar. to CQ100 on Verandah deck for less than $200.

Can you send your luck to me? Not disputing what you are saying at all. I'm just saying that calls may not be successful.

You can counter offer it as well. Offer $499 or $599 and see what happened. I find the suites well worth it and you get the nice perks including laundry and Neptune Lounge on board.

Have fun

We have gotten lots of upsell offers over the years, and not one of them was even close to the low figures I see here. :(

On the other hand, once after turning down one of the ridiculous upsell offers (really, laughable!), we were upgraded to the same category for no extra $$. We book guarantee cabins most of the time and have been lucky. Maybe if we got low upsell offers as some have gotten here, we would be more inclined to accept them. But after that experience it won't happen with the offers we've gotten. ;)

You can counter offer it as well. Offer $499 or $599 and see what happened. I find the suites well worth it and you get the nice perks including laundry and Neptune Lounge on board.

Have fun

I have booked only 5 HAL cruises - all GTYs directly with HAL, no TA involved. I have received upsell offers on 2 of the 5 and hoping for a third (I sail on July 13). Is it possible HAL gives preference to those who book direct?

I have booked only 5 HAL cruises - all GTYs directly with HAL, no TA involved. I have received upsell offers on 2 of the 5 and hoping for a third (I sail on July 13). Is it possible HAL gives preference to those who book direct?

No. I have booked for many years direct with HAL.

Many here have commented TA's get the offers as well as those who book direct.

I will say I have never requested an upsell or upgrade. If we wanted the Pinnacle (PS), we would have booked it.

We just took advantage of our first upsell...and my first time sailing in a Neptune suite. We will be in corner aft wrap suite on the Eurodam. The second upsell offer came down enough that I jumped on it!

Very excited!

Edited by sunsetbeachgal

We just took advantage of our first upsell...and my first time sailing in a Neptune suite. We will be in corner aft wrap suite on the Eurodam. The second upsell offer came down enough that I jumped on it!

Very excited!

That sounds wonderful. An aft wrap suite; all that space and an amazing view.