Lenses for New England/Canada cruise

andant

We are planning to go on a cruise to New England/Canada this July. The ship docks in Bar-Harbor, Halifax, Sydney, Charlottetown, and Quebec. We don't have exact plans yet for these ports, but what would be your suggestions for lenses to bring to this cruise? Is there need to bring a long tele? Any particular suggestions for using different lenses in different ports?

I use micro four thirds system, but it shouldn't matter for this question - just wondering which full frame equivalents are useful on this cruise.

Thank you!

-Andrei

I'm a bit more of a lens nut, so I bring a lot more than I likely need. That said, on a similar cruise in 2011 stopping in all those locations, I brought two camera bodies, and a total of 12 lenses - but really used 3 of the lenses most regularly covering about 90% of the shooting, and maybe 3 or 4 other lenses got the occasional use. On my DSLR, I primarily used my 18-250mm ultrazoom and my 10-24mm ultrawide. On my mirrorless camera, I mainly used the 18-55mm kit (it was a new purchase at the time so I didn't yet have a lens collection built up for that one). I will say I got some occasional use from my 300mm F4 and 1.4x TC - cruising the St. Lawrence it was useful for shots of distant shores, some wildlife, boats, etc. And I got some use out of fast primes for onboard and night handheld shots.

My gallery of the cruise is here, if you want to look - EXIF is included for each shot to see the focal lengths and lenses used:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/eurodam_nov_2011&page=all

When we went to NE/Canada, I brought a 12-24, 17-55, and a 70-200. I mostly ended up using the 17-55, but I got a couple really neat shots using the 12-24. The 70-200 was used mostly for capturing wildlife while on the ship (falcons, dolphins, and whales).

Using the 12-24

10412480083_e7406f8490.jpg

Boat at Peggy's Cove by ikirumata, on Flickr

Using the 17-55

10412331474_dba749e722.jpg

Fuller Falls by ikirumata, on Flickr

Using the 70-200

10412329175_b1ca671b91.jpg

Peregrine Falcon by ikirumata, on Flickr

Have fun!

Great threat, just what I have been thinking about. We are going on this cruise in Sept. this year.

Thinking

Sony Nex-7 10-18mm

Sony A6000 18-55mm and 70-200mm

Sony Rx100 indoor photos. (Pocket Camera)

Sony HX90V new camera coming for superzoom (Pocket camera)

And my old Panasonic FZ200 24-600mm for cruising pictures (keep on the ship)

Not sure if I need to carry to many cameras ashore.

Open for suggestions.

Tom :cool:

Great threat, just what I have been thinking about. We are going on this cruise in Sept. this year.

Thinking

Sony Nex-7 10-18mm

Sony A6000 18-55mm and 70-200mm

Sony Rx100 indoor photos. (Pocket Camera)

Sony HX90V new camera coming for superzoom (Pocket camera)

And my old Panasonic FZ200 24-600mm for cruising pictures (keep on the ship):

Personally, I'd probably whittle that down a bit myself - unless you really have a hankering for bringing along the multiple bodies. Out of your list, I would bring the A6000 and leave the NEX-7 - definitely bring the 10-18, 18-55, and 70-200mm lenses. I wouldn't personally have much need for the RX100, but it's small enough to not matter if you bring it along. And of the two superzooms, I'd only bring one - something for sitting on the ship or balcony and shooting things you see on the shore or wildlife. Any shore days, I'd be content to bring the A6000 and the two wider lenses - 10-18mm and 18-55mm...and I'd bring the 70-200mm along for the places I might have more need or opportunity to use it, such as Bar Harbor (birds, porpoises, the rare bear).

We are going on this cruise in Sept. this year.

When and what ship?

We are doing fall colors in late September.

Dave

Edited by pierces

Dave

Going on Liberty of the Seas (the big ship) on Sept 10. Would be GREAT if you and your wife were on this cruise. Would be like taking a Sony photography course lol.

Personally, I'd probably whittle that down a bit myself - unless you really have a hankering for bringing along the multiple bodies. Out of your list, I would bring the A6000 and leave the NEX-7 - definitely bring the 10-18, 18-55, and 70-200mm lenses. I wouldn't personally have much need for the RX100, but it's small enough to not matter if you bring it along. And of the two superzooms, I'd only bring one - something for sitting on the ship or balcony and shooting things you see on the shore or wildlife. Any shore days, I'd be content to bring the A6000 and the two wider lenses - 10-18mm and 18-55mm...and I'd bring the 70-200mm along for the places I might have more need or opportunity to use it, such as Bar Harbor (birds, porpoises, the rare bear).

THANKS JUSTIN

Was thinking the NEX-7 so would not have to change lens. We taking a tour on each stop and most tours go fast and I want to be ready. Two great cameras!! Take a small carry bag can fit three lens and 2 camera bodies. Really appreciate as always appreciate your input here and dpreview.

Edited by c230k

On my DSLR, I primarily used my 18-250mm ultrazoom and my 10-24mm ultrawide. On my mirrorless camera, I mainly used the 18-55mm kit (it was a new purchase at the time so I didn't yet have a lens collection built up for that one). I will say I got some occasional use from my 300mm F4 and 1.4x TC - cruising the St. Lawrence it was useful for shots of distant shores, some wildlife, boats, etc. And I got some use out of fast primes for onboard and night handheld shots.

My gallery of the cruise is here, if you want to look - EXIF is included for each shot to see the focal lengths and lenses used:

http://www.pbase.com/zackiedawg/eurodam_nov_2011&page=all

Great pictures! Thanks for sharing! It seems like 300mm equivalent focal length should be enough -- might not get the best wildlife pictures, but there doesn't seem to be too much of it! I rented a longer tele for Alaska trip, and it was essential there, but it doesn't seem like it is as essential in New England/Canada. Maybe I should better invest in a wide angle lens -- I have a 15mm equivalent fisheye and 24mm equivalent rectilinear, but it seems like I might want to go lower...

Thanks again!

-Andrei

When we went to NE/Canada, I brought a 12-24, 17-55, and a 70-200. I mostly ended up using the 17-55, but I got a couple really neat shots using the 12-24. The 70-200 was used mostly for capturing wildlife while on the ship (falcons, dolphins, and whales).

Using the 12-24

10412480083_e7406f8490.jpg

Boat at Peggy's Cove by ikirumata, on Flickr

Using the 17-55

10412331474_dba749e722.jpg

Fuller Falls by ikirumata, on Flickr

Using the 70-200

10412329175_b1ca671b91.jpg

Peregrine Falcon by ikirumata, on Flickr

Have fun!

Those are fantastic. Also checked your other pictures from the link in your signature, some very nice work there! Decisions, decisions... Invest in a wide-angle or longer telezoom. Seems like the consensus on this thread is that wide angle is essential....

Personally, I'd probably whittle that down a bit myself - unless you really have a hankering for bringing along the multiple bodies. Out of your list, I would bring the A6000 and leave the NEX-7 - definitely bring the 10-18, 18-55, and 70-200mm lenses.

I Agree except I would carry the NEX7 as well for insurance and convenience (would put the 70-200 on one of the bodies and 18-55 on the A6000).

In my last trip to New England, I didn't find any need for a big zoom.

Dave convinced me that I should have the 12mm lens and I might bring that on my next cruise!

I Agree except I would carry the NEX7 as well for insurance and convenience (would put the 70-200 on one of the bodies and 18-55 on the A6000).

In my last trip to New England, I didn't find any need for a big zoom.

Dave convinced me that I should have the 12mm lens and I might bring that on my next cruise!

Thanks

I agree, going that far nice to have added insurance. On the tours will have the 10-18mm on one and the 70-200 on the other. My 50mm 1.8 for the indoor photos. Guess it will depend on the tour for the need the 70-200mm for wildlife pics.

Much appreciate all the GOOD input.

• 2 weeks later...

NE is easy #1 lens 17-35FX or 17-55dx 80% is with the 17-35 I'm using an FX body. 105mm is used 15% 300mm f4 is the max and rarely used. A 70-200 is a nice choice but I prefer the teli primes.

framer

I always take way too much gear but

11-24

22-55

24-70

28-135

70-300

100-400 [with built in 1.4 convertor]

100 Macro

50 f1.4

Oh and 28-200 walk around.

Dude, drop the 22-55, 28-135, 70-300, and either the 50 or 85. And do you mean 200-400? I don't recognize a 100-400 with built-in 1.4.

• 2 weeks later...
When and what ship?

We are doing fall colors in late September.

Dave

What date and ship are you cruising in September?

Also what photo equipment are you taking, all this good info I need to take notes. Going for 9 days and I want to be prepared,

Thanks

What date and ship are you cruising in September?

Also what photo equipment are you taking, all this good info I need to take notes. Going for 9 days and I want to be prepared,

Thanks

It's a 12-day on the Serenade leaving out of Quebec.

I'll be taking the A6000 and whatever backup body I buy to replace my late, great NEX-7 (or just the NEX-3c if an A7000 is imminent). For lenses, I'll take both kits, the 12mm Rokinon, 8mm fisheye, 19mm Sigma, SEL5018 and the Lensbaby with the Sweet35 optic. What is awesome is that all of that plus my PacSafe day bag, cleaning equipment chargers, batteries, tablet and file backup stuff will all fit in my carry-on backpack.

If I can't get decent images with that, I need to find a new hobby!

Dave

On a similar itinerary last fall, I brought:

• 8-15mm fisheye
  • 24-105mm
  • 100-400mm

With the exception of our departure from NYC (where I used the 100-400mm the most), the 24-105mm lived on my camera. Yes, I did bring out the Dust Trombone on some occasions, but anyone going on that type of cruise should consider that you're going primarily for the landscapes. Ergo, wide zooms will (should?) be your workhorses.

On a similar itinerary last fall, I brought:

• 8-15mm fisheye
  • 24-105mm
  • 100-400mm

With the exception of our departure from NYC (where I used the 100-400mm the most), the 24-105mm lived on my camera. Yes, I did bring out the Dust Trombone on some occasions, but anyone going on that type of cruise should consider that you're going primarily for the landscapes. Ergo, wide zooms will (should?) be your workhorses.

Nice to hear. I am going Montreal - Boston in Sept, and have the 24-105 and Rokinon 14mm for my 6D but don't have a longer lens. Was considering taking the Rebel with the 18-200 just to have a longer equivalent with me.

From reading the many posts, I may just take the 6D (and then I may be inclined to buy another lens over there).