Adding to 18% gratuity

fiftyguy

Hi

If you are happy with a server (he or she goes the extra mile) in a resturant or other venue can you add to the 18% and it will go directly to the server or does it all go to the pool?

Thanks

Pool or keep is hotly debated

However for it is worth I understand that if you put it on the account it is pool

If you tip cash they have to put the first so many $ into the pool the extra they keep.

Hi

If you are happy with a server (he or she goes the extra mile) in a resturant or other venue can you add to the 18% and it will go directly to the server or does it all go to the pool?

Thanks

I've asked that question multiple times when on different ships (NCL. RCL. HAL, etc.), however, I always got the same response--it was explained to me additional tip on the "check" goes to the general fund. The only guarantee is to give to the individual at the time of service directly.

Edited by weelv2cruise

Thank you for all the responses. I guess I'll go with cash if the need arises. We had a server on our last cruise who made our dinner memorable and I would hate to think her extra effort went for naught with my extra gratuity going to the pool and not her.

Edited by fiftyguy

Hi

Thanks

yes, be sure and give it to them in cash if you can. That way it goes directly into their pocket. I know, the are supposed to share it, but how many do you think really do?

18% to me is a very good tip. If it was 25% some of you would still want to give more - Why ?

We're grateful for these people who are making much less than we are for making our vacation special. An extra $2 goes a lot further for them then it does for me.

We're grateful for these people who are making much less than we are for making our vacation special. An extra $2 goes a lot further for them then it does for me.

Thank you thatjoeguy. I appreciate you agreeing with me that some of a ships staff works hard and deserves being recognized. I've had servers, or others, who made an evening special.

Some people just need to be negative I guess.

We carry a lot of ones on board. We give them cash. That way we know it goes in their pocket. And we tip extra most of the time.

Same here. I also like to give an extra tip in cash on top of the auto-gratuity. Plus with the UDP and UBP the auto-gratuity is removed. I was given the UBP as a promo before they started with the extra 18% and we paid for the UDP before the 18% was added as well.