Drinking Water on Land Portion of Alaska Land-Sea

Tarpeian Rock

We're on an Alaska land/sea on the Grand in early July. I know that on ship-based excursions one has the opportunity to buy water on the way to the gangway. How is this handled on the land portion? Is potable water typically available on the land segments and excursions, or does one have to buy their own water supply for the day every morning? I have a medical condition that requires that I drink a lot of water during the day, and I'm not sure if I need to get one of those runner-type wearable water supplies or if Princess makes water available. (Don't get me started on having to pay for water to begin with.....)

I don't know the procedure on land tours however have you considered the resusable Brita Sport Water Filter 20 oz. bottle?

We use it all the time & it works great for us and there should be enough places in Alaska to refill it...a 20 oz wide mouth squeezable bottle with a filter. The wide mouth makes it much easier for us to add ice to keep the water chilled.

http://www.amazon.com/Brita-Sport-Filter-Bottle-20-Ounce/dp/B004GN8RDY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1433099440&sr=8-1&keywords=brita+sport+water+filter+bottle

Edited by Astro Flyer

I think it depends on the tour you are on.

On our land portion, water was provided on the train and the long (9 hr) bus rides. I saved a couple of empty bottles and simply refilled them before boarding other excursions where I assumed water would not be provided.

Just came back from Alaska. Take a reusable water bottler with you and fill it on the ship. The water in Alaska is great! I refilled from the sink in the hotels and lodges. it was cold and good.

Depends on what you are doing. In Denali the Tundra Wilderness Tour is ~9 hours and we had several bottles of water supplied for the bus, but if I had a medical condition that required me to have water, I would have made sure to bring my own.

As someone who actually lives up here I can say with certainty that the water is great everywhere you will be. That said, if you are going out to the middle of nowhere on a tour I definitely suggest you carry water. Bring your own water bottles and fill them before you go or buy at the hotel.

They sell bottled water at all the lodges but fairly pricey (but I think it was cheaper than onboard). At Fairbanks and Denali lodges there are multiple stores nearby that are cheaper. McKinley lodge is 45 minutes out of Talkeetna, so the gift shop is the only place to buy. All that said, the tap water at the lodges is fine to drink so if you have empty bottles you can fill them before your excursion.