Please help a Carnival cruiser.

My DW and I are in the process of booking our next cruise. After being fairly loyal to Carnival, we have decided we are ready for a change up again, and maybe for good. The last time we tried another line was RCCL Liberty of the Seas. Needless to say, the ship was impressive (especially compared to anything we have been on with CCL). Our only disappointment was the quality of food, however, we know this is subjective and can vary from sailing to sailing.

Our options for next years cruise are all relatively closely priced for similar category balcony staterooms for the sailing dates we are looking at. (Approx $1100 p/p) We are both in our early 30's and have no kids. We enjoy activities and attending comedians and production shows. However a quiet, relaxing spot to read with ocean views is also a must. I have read that this is an issue for some on Oasis/Allure and Royal/Regal Princess. So here is what we have it narrowed down to...what do you think as non-CCL board users?

A- Allure of the Seas. 7 night. Nassau, St Thomas, St Maarten

B- Regal Princess. 7 night. Princess Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten

C- Emerald Princess. 7 Night. Princess Cay, St Thomas, St Maarten, Grand Turk.

With the loss of Viking Crown to most cruisers, I cannot think of a quiet spot to read with ocean views that is inside. Your balcony is probably the only place to do that on Allure.

Here is my vote:

I have cruised both RCI and Carnival and am looking at the Vista for 2017. I love the Allure, although you do not have an ocean view you do not get much more peaceful than Central Park. The shows are very good, and I know food is so subjective but I enjoyed everything I tried.

Edited by dacsmom

My DW and I are in the process of booking our next cruise. After being fairly loyal to Carnival, we have decided we are ready for a change up again, and maybe for good. The last time we tried another line was RCCL Liberty of the Seas. Needless to say, the ship was impressive (especially compared to anything we have been on with CCL). Our only disappointment was the quality of food, however, we know this is subjective and can vary from sailing to sailing.

Our options for next years cruise are all relatively closely priced for similar category balcony staterooms for the sailing dates we are looking at. (Approx $1100 p/p) We are both in our early 30's and have no kids. We enjoy activities and attending comedians and production shows. However a quiet, relaxing spot to read with ocean views is also a must. I have read that this is an issue for some on Oasis/Allure and Royal/Regal Princess. So here is what we have it narrowed down to...what do you think as non-CCL board users?

Of the 3, I would pick Allure. Reviews of the new Princess ships have not been good (that I have seen). Emerald Princess I hear is very nice. You might consider Celebrity if you don't mind a older crowd. The solstice class ships are phenomenal. Good luck.

If all things were equal I would choose option 3 for 4 ports of call. Option 1 also has Nassau as one of the three stops. I don't care for that stop which would only leave 2 ports to visit.

On the other hand the Allure is a destination on its own with many different entertainment and dining options.

I'm always surprised and a little confused when people ask for advice about which cruise to book. I mean, everyone is going to tell you something different, right? It's such a personal decision.

Having said that, you did ask for advice and here is mine: I did not enjoy Oasis (same class as Allure) and Nassau is dead to me. I do not want to go there again and if we ever did, I would stay onboard. Oasis was too big for me and too crowded, and as you mentioned, I am one who had issues "seeing the sea". Did not like.

Have sailed Emerald Princess and while she is a nice ship, I have issues with the buffet set up on Princess. I find them highly dysfunctional (my personal opinion). As well, Princess Cay is a tendered port (private island) and there is a chance you may not make it. Having Grand Turk as an additional port stop is a bonus.) Have sailed Princess twice, and will probably not do so again.

There. What did you glean from that? :D I doubt I had any impact at all on your decision.

Just do what YOU and DW want to do. :)

I'm always surprised and a little confused when people ask for advice about which cruise to book. I mean, everyone is going to tell you something different, right? It's such a personal decision.

Having said that, you did ask for advice and here is mine: I did not enjoy Oasis (same class as Allure) and Nassau is dead to me. I do not want to go there again and if we ever did, I would stay onboard. Oasis was too big for me and too crowded, and as you mentioned, I am one who had issues "seeing the sea". Did not like.

Have sailed Emerald Princess and while she is a nice ship, I have issues with the buffet set up on Princess. I find them highly dysfunctional (my personal opinion). As well, Princess Cay is a tendered port (private island) and there is a chance you may not make it. Having Grand Turk as an additional port stop is a bonus.) Have sailed Princess twice, and will probably not do so again.

There. What did you glean from that? :D I doubt I had any impact at all on your decision.

Just do what YOU and DW want to do. :)

Actually, you helped quite a bit!

I know some love Oasis Class no matter what and others are always a cheerleader for their "line of choice". We were kind of turned off to Allure due to Nassau and for the lack of public space ocean views. Your input and a few others here, has helped us decide on the Emerald. I truly do appreciate everyone's input and always nice to hear pros and cons of all ships no matter which cruise line someone prefers. Thank you all!

Edited by jetexpress

Haven't sailed another cruise line that's still in business today. That being said, I can offer that on Allure you'll find a very peaceful place to read in Central Park. Not inside, but it's beautiful, quiet, and there are nice comfy places to sit undisturbed under the trees.

Actually, you helped quite a bit!... Your input and a few others here, has helped us decide on the Emerald...

Aww, well good and I'm glad. There are some things that Princess does very, very right. Best pizza at sea! :D I'm sure you will have an awesome trip. :)

I see you've already posted to the Princess board; you'll find some good advice and nice folks over there.

I am just off the Oasis. With the closing of the Royal Viking Lounge, there is no indoor public space to sit/relax have a drink, etc with an Ocean view.

If that is important to you, have you considered a Freedom Class ship?

I am just off the Oasis. With the closing of the Royal Viking Lounge, there is no indoor public space to sit/relax have a drink, etc with an Ocean view.

If that is important to you, have you considered a Freedom Class ship?

Yes, we liked Liberty, but unfortunately Freedom is currently $400 p/p higher for a balcony than any of my options during the weeks we are looking.

My $0.02

Princess has better food and the Emerald Princess has an extra port and does not stop at Nassau. Therefore, Emerald Princess

Aww, well good and I'm glad. There are some things that Princess does very, very right. Best pizza at sea! :D I'm sure you will have an awesome trip. :)

And the on-deck grill has great burgers, brats, chicken and best fries cooked to order free (no surcharge at grill, pizza or for soft serve ice cream).

Have sailed Emerald Princess and while she is a nice ship, I have issues with the buffet set up on Princess.....

But the buffet on Regal Princess and Royal Princess is head-and-shoulders above anything on other Princess ships, or any other ship I've seen, for that matter (see list below). There is also table service for beverages and place settings on Princess now, which I haven't seen on other lines.

Just for info.

But the buffet on Regal Princess and Royal Princess is head-and-shoulders above anything on other Princess ships...

Thank you. Yes, I can believe it; the buffet on some RCI ships is different. For example, on Oasis it is terrible. On Radiance class I think it's wonderful. *shrug* Glad to hear it is not fleet-wide on Princess. It's just that our two Princess experiences seemed to be very similar.