Wine Inspection before Embarkation

How close do they inspect the bottles to make sure they are Wine? I am an avid craft beer lover, I can think of nothing better than drinking a Sour Beer on my balcony. These beer are packaged with corks in wine bottles. Would they notice? This rule seems really random. Why can't I bring 2 bottles of beer but wine is OK.

How close do they inspect the bottles to make sure they are Wine? I am an avid craft beer lover, I can think of nothing better than drinking a Sour Beer on my balcony. These beer are packaged with corks in wine bottles. Would they notice? This rule seems really random. Why can't I bring 2 bottles of beer but wine is OK.

My son is also a craft beer lover so I have seen a lot of the bottles you are referring to and none of the ones I have seen are 750ml. The cruise line allows 2 750ml bottles of wine only, so they are used to seeing that shape and size bottle. I think they will notice and ask you to show them the bottles.

Edited: So, I just went to check out one of my son's favorite craft beers, and surprise, surprise, they are 750 ml bottles. They also do smaller, caged 375 ml but the larger ones are 750ml.

Edited by reallyitsmema

The bottles are 750 corked and caged, Drie Fontainen Oude Gueuze is what I am planning.

Could get away with it looking similar to a champagne bottle but not sure how the flat bottom with show up on xray versus the punt of a champagne bottle.

No way to say what will happen, some ports are stricter than others, some times of the year enforcement is stricter.

If there are 2 of you, try putting 1 in each carry on and getting in different security lines and meeting back up for check in

At the suite security at pier 18 in fll the guy took both bottles out and checked every inch of them

Edited by setsail

Could get away with it looking similar to a champagne bottle but not sure how the flat bottom with show up on xray versus the punt of a champagne bottle.

No way to say what will happen, some ports are stricter than others, some times of the year enforcement is stricter.

Ahh they are just x-rayed? If so these even have the punt. I will bring two less expensive ones. Don't want to lose a rare bottle. Thanks, still think the rule is really arbitrary.

beer is not bottled the same way as wine and the difference is noticeable. there is a very high chance you will be denied and the beer confiscated.

Ahh they are just x-rayed? If so these even have the punt. I will bring two less expensive ones. Don't want to lose a rare bottle. Thanks, still think the rule is really arbitrary.

Your carry on will be xrayed as you enter the cruise terminal, just as it would at an airport. If they notice something, they will pull you to the side to open the bag and confiscate anything that is not allowed on board the ship.

I would keep the rare bottle at home and bring less expensive stuff if you are going to try. Typically, if it is unopened, you can get it back after the cruise but I wouldn't risk losing a rare bottle.

beer is not bottled the same way as wine and the difference is noticeable. there is a very high chance you will be denied and the beer confiscated.

This beer has no difference in bottling, you would have to read the label to tell it is not champagne.

My Grandmother makes homemade sangria, and before every cruise my wife will buy a bottle or 2 of 750ml size and fill them up and cap them off...they are usually pain old clear bottles with no labels, no markings, a screw on top...that's it. Nobody has ever questioned it or its contents.

I know someone who took a case of water and filled the center bottles with vodka and resealed the case. They shook the case and the vodka had bubbles so they took those bottles. She said they did miss a few.

I brought two bottles of Verdi with me. They inspected them and said, "these are actually malt liquor", but they let me bring them on. The bottles look like a champagne bottle.

That's sort of what I was thinking. When I boarded Serenade in New Orleans, they inspected my wine bottles pretty closely, looking at the labels and even holding the bottle up to the light. I don't think every port inspects that closely, but if they noticed that it's beer, they might let it pass, anyway, as your "wine" allowance.

There's no 100% guarantee that you'll be allowed to bring them on, but I'd bet your chances are good. If you do it, let us know the outcome. ;)

On our just completed Legend cruise from San Diego, I kept holding up my wine caddy so they could inspect them. They never called for, looked at or touched them. No one else reported any inspection at all, they could've been full of Vodka for all they knew or cared.

No problem on Freedom last June. 2 bottles of wine and 2 of the beer you are talking about in a cloth wine bag (we had two rooms because of 3 kids so were allotted 4 bottles). Didn't even touch the bottles or look at our paperwork. Asked how many rooms we had but didn't check paperwork, but we did have 6 people with us at the time.

As long as you are OK with losing them.

Yeah, and posting your intentions to the world on a board where RCI representatives also post is a great idea. :p

Honestly, it took us years to get the wine allowance. :) I would hope that people would respect it and not push the rules.

I know someone who took a case of water and filled the center bottles with vodka and resealed the case. They shook the case and the vodka had bubbles so they took those bottles. She said they did miss a few.

All agents who have worked spring break cruises know every trick in the book. I watched security for an hour once (delayed boarding) in Tampa and saw them confiscate an entire cart load of liquor in that time. The security agent playfully inquired why so many cruisers needed huge, full bottles of mouthwash for a 5 day cruise.

Yeah, and posting your intentions to the world on a board where RCI representatives also post is a great idea. :p

Honestly, it took us years to get the wine allowance. :) I would hope that people would respect it and not push the rules.

Conspiracy theory much?

Conspiracy theory much?

Yep they are going to trace my IP, know when my cruise is, and chase me down for a couple bottles of beer. As far as push limits, why wine and not beer, still only really a 1-2serving bottle not like a fifth of liquor where two would last you the trip. It seems to me like they neglect the craft beer drinkers entirely.

Yep they are going to trace my IP, know when my cruise is, and chase me down for a couple bottles of beer. As far as push limits, why wine and not beer, still only really a 1-2serving bottle not like a fifth of liquor where two would last you the trip. It seems to me like they neglect the craft beer drinkers entirely.

You asked here, we replied. Don't get upset because you don't like the answer. :p;)

Just off Grandeur in Baltimore twice in the last few months. Put wine in my carryon, went through xray, and was pulled aside. They briefly pulled out the bottles and looked at the labels and off we went.