CCL Launches New Brand...fathom

Astro Flyer

I suspect they must be planning on relying on student groups.

As for failing, it would be nice to have that ship in the Americas as a conventional cruise ship.

My college does a lot of service learning trips. They usually do one domestic and one international each year outside of the local groups they volunteer with. The goal is to totally immerse themselves in the volunteer work, they often sleep in church basements with sleeping bags or something similar and they spend quite a bit less on their trips (outside of plane tickets). They also are gone for 2-3 weeks. This is not something that our student group would do. This seems far too luxurious and with only 3 days of volunteer work...... This seems geared towards those who may want to try volunteer work for a day or two.

This summer, they went to Nicaragua and built a latrine for a school and then worked with the school on improving it (painting, repairing it) and then work with the students on promoting personal hygiene. In previous years they have gone to Guatemala, Malawi, Swaziland and China.

It would surprise me if they are targeting college groups as college groups and global service learning are far more ambitious.

Edited by Coral

My college does a lot of service learning trips. They usually do one domestic and one international each year outside of the local groups they volunteer with. The goal is to totally immerse themselves in the volunteer work, they often sleep in church basements with sleeping bags or something similar and they spend quite a bit less on their trips (outside of plane tickets). They also are gone for 2-3 weeks. This is not something that our student group would do. This seems far too luxurious and with only 3 days of volunteer work...... This seems geared towards those who may want to try volunteer work for a day or two.

This summer, they went to Nicaragua and built a latrine for a school and then worked with the school on improving it (painting, repairing it) and then work with the students on promoting personal hygiene. In previous years they have gone to Guatemala, Malawi, Swaziland and China.

It would surprise me if they are targeting college groups as college groups and global service learning are far more ambitious.

Good for you! I was really thinking of younger students, so as to combine the senior fun-in-the-sun trip with something a little more serious.

Good for you! I was really thinking of younger students, so as to combine the senior fun-in-the-sun trip with something a little more serious.

Not me, but the students who go to the college I work at...... I am not involved in this but it is a small school so we are proud of our students and advisors who do this.

For a high school group, they would need to have rules different than other cruises as far as ages. For example, to have a 2 advisors and 12 high school students there would be a lot of kids in cabins with out adults or adults near by. Most lines want more adults unless it is a parent/kid type school trip. Most lines want someone over 21 in a cabin or a parent near by. Plus, a lot of schools do these trips over fall break or spring breaks. Our summer trip is right after the semester ends in May as summers are impossible to coordinate after that. Can't see them filling the ship all year with student trips.

Though - you are probably right. It is probably for the entry level of volunteer who wants to try volunteering out. I think they could do that with their existing fleet when they go to ports with need. Plan an excursion to do this.

Edited by Coral

I read this is who they are targeting: Who does Carnival think will be interested in fathom? Older millenials with disposable income who never have cruised, families with kids old enough to help, and older adults who want to hands-on volunteer, not just give money. Boomers who volunteered in younger days should also be interested in this new opportunity to give-back.

I actually think of that group, it is going to be older adults who want to help but are not in a position to sleep on floors and completely immerse themselves.

Not saying that there are not a lot of older adults who are 1000% committed to doing their volunteerism as I know several who are but there are some who may want to try it with out being away from their comfort zone too long.

I disagree. I think anyone who is going to spend $3000+ for a week of volunteering will want that money/time to accomplish something. The work described in the FAQ is work that locals can inherently do better than any 3-day volunteer can. If anything it will be taking away local jobs and furthering poverty, not alleviating it. Not to mention that by eating/sleeping on the ship and paying the cruise company directly you are taking away the one major side benefit of adding money to the local economy.

Maybe I'm wrong. Or maybe I'm hoping that people don't go, because the focus and benefits are slanted so heavily toward the cruise company/tourist and not the local people/economy. "Come and pretend to help people so you can feel a little bit better about yourself! Don't worry, we won't make you interact with them!" Gross.

All I know is that the more I read about this, the more I don't like it.

For Carnival, this is a pure profit motive. However, I still think you are being a bit too cynical. There will still be real work and help going on in areas that need it and it may encourage some to do more or "real" volunteerism. I thought there was some interaction and even teaching English involved here.

While I don't hope it fails, I don't believe it will ever get bigger than the one 670 passenger ship either.

When was the last time you paid $230 per person per night for a "cabin with a window" (think ocean view). That amount would get you into a mini-suite or possibly a full suite on most cruise lines.

When was the last time you paid $230 per person per night for a "cabin with a window" (think ocean view). That amount would get you into a mini-suite or possibly a full suite on most cruise lines.

Please post the link to the $230 per night Suite. ;):D I'd be interested in that.

I do have disdain for this fathom. Tens of thousands of people a year doing untrained manual labor means one of two things-- either the labor isn't necessary, or it is taking the work away from local people.

I have no idea where you are getting this. fathom will be partnering with existing relief, aid and assistance programs. (http://www.entrenainc.com/index.php/en/ http://www.iddi.org/) You speak authoritatively as if fathom intends to storm the beaches unannounced and uninvited. If fathom is partnering with existing boots on the ground, how can you say that the labor is unnecessary? And how can you say that the work to be done will take work away from local people? So people shouldn't go in to foreign countries to help dig clean water wells because doing so would take jobs away from the locals? Seriously? I'm pretty sure that if entrena and iddi didn't want or need any additional help, they would let fathom know.

I don't believe there will be any good done.

One can only draw this conclusion if one believes that entrena and iddi are either: a) not doing any good work; or b) are doing good work and are already fully staffed and funded and don't need any additional helping hands.

Yes, people who go on these cruises might learn a lesson about volunteering;

This can never be a bad thing or a "net negative".

I could volunteer to dig up my neighbors yard and learn some lessons about hard work in the process. But if my neighbor didn't need their yard dug up that doesn't make me admirable, it makes me a nuisance.

Horrible analogy. If you trespass on your neighbor's property uninvited, then yes, you are a nuisance. But if your neighbor is having landscape work done on his yard, and the landscape company puts an ad in Craig's List asking for a few volunteers to come work for a couple of hours on an unpaid basis and you answer that ad, then no, you are not a nuisance. Even if you have no prior experience, there are certainly some landscaping jobs that you can help out with that would make the overall job move along more quickly.

Edited by JimmyVWine

For Carnival, this is a pure profit motive. However, I still think you are being a bit too cynical. There will still be real work and help going on in areas that need it and it may encourage some to do more or "real" volunteerism. I thought there was some interaction and even teaching English involved here.

While I don't hope it fails, I don't believe it will ever get bigger than the one 670 passenger ship either.

While I do agree with you about profit motive, I do believe the Carnival Corp has done good will towards the islands they visit. I remember once when a hurricane ruined the island of Eleuthera where Princess Cays is located. Our ship did anchor there the day we were supposed to be there (no passengers allowed off) but crew unloaded quite a bit of supplies and water for the people to help them rebuild the island.

Please post the link to the $230 per night Suite. ;):D I'd be interested in that.

My next cruise is on NCL Star's transatlantic on October 6, 2015. A suite for 13 days costs $2479 or $191 per person per day and includes NCL's Ultimate Beverage Package and Utimate Dining Package. These types of values are out there.

My next cruise is on NCL Star's transatlantic on October 6, 2015. A suite for 13 days costs $2479 or $191 per person per day and includes NCL's Ultimate Beverage Package and Utimate Dining Package. These types of values are out there.

I think you'd be hard pressed to find that deal on Princess. For me, a TA on NCL would not be my personal choice.

Edited by msmoger

After cruising with NCL once, I discovered that generally you get what you pay for. People off NCL say that to get a decent meal, they have to go for the specialty dining rooms.

Ask me how our hard work building houses for Habitat for Humanity worked out down in Mexico. 99% of the houses were destroyed a year later when we visited the community. All the plumbing was gone, doors were missing, holes in the sheetrock, windows gone as well. Bill and Medlinda Gates foundation has a great program going for vaccines. Warren Buffet has stepped up to the plate to donate his wealth to the Gates Foundation. Even our tax dollars go to these countries in the form of aid. $3,200 is a lot of money to those who us who have worked hard for it. I can fork over time, but not money. After Habitat for Humanity I see that it was a waste of my time.

/just saying

Problem being that if you didn't work for it, you don't value it. Giving to the poor creates more poor.

Instead of a shipload of volunteers going to the same spot, how about "volunteer" shore excursions. We thoroughly enjoyed helping the animal shelter in Kauai by taking a dog out for the day. The Hyatt partnered with the shelter, and it truly helps the animals. Carnival could partner with a specific charity and provide the labor.

Instead of a shipload of volunteers going to the same spot, how about "volunteer" shore excursions. ...Carnival could partner with a specific charity and provide the labor.

This is exactly what they have planned. Once people book their cruise and the system is up and running, passengers will begin to sign up for specific projects and experiences. Nowhere is it suggested that 700 people are going to descend on the same area. Instead, smaller groups of manageable sizes will be formed, partnering with aid, assistance, economic development and relief organizations to oversee the volunteers as they go about their tasks. The end result will more likely look like 20 groups of 30 people each going about their days on shore.