Appeal to celebrity cruiselines to reinstate bonaire

norwegianwood57

I don't think they're lying about the results of their poll, but I doubt they had a large sample. Much like the accusations of CC's polling total. There's also a way to to ask a question in a poll to get the desired results.

You're absolutely correct that the way a question is asked can influence the result. I took a wonderful class for my masters on how to conduct surveys and studies. Much of the class focused on how you could structure these to produce the results you wanted. It was a clever way to demonstrate the right and wrong way to do a study/survey. The class did make me very cynical about claims that begin: "Studies/surveys show...".

Why would Celebrity choose to ask a question in a way that would give them inaccurate information? Isn't Celebrity in business to make a profit? Wouldn't pleasing their customers be the best way to making a profit? It seems likely that Celebrity would spend the money to conduct the right kind of survey to get the right information for decision making.

There's really no way we can estimate how many passengers were surveyed. However, didn't someone say that 9 people in the poll say they'd been surveyed? Wasn't there something like 180 people responding to the poll? Surveying 5% of Celebrity's passengers would result in a rather impressive number. Still, we don't know all the questions, how those surveyed were selected, or, probably most importantly, the response rate.

I don't think they're lying about the results of their poll, but I doubt they had a large sample. Much like the accusations of CC's polling total. There's also a way to to ask a question in a poll to get the desired results.

If they asked, "Would you be in favor of overnight stays in select Caribbean ports?" I'd say yes, because I'd hope for it to be Cozumel.

The poll I received from X a while back, had a list of various ports and asked to pick my preferred top 5 or something like that that had the most interest.

The poll I received from X a while back, had a list of various ports and asked to pick my preferred top 5 or something like that that had the most interest.

Did the poll mention that the overnight would be replacing another port? And did it give you an option to choose which port?

Did the poll mention that the overnight would be replacing another port? And did it give you an option to choose which port?

No it did not get into any specific itineraries, it was judging interest in overnights, and gathering data on ports of interest.

I'm not Curt, but given that I too answered two separate surveys from Celebrity, dealing with overnights and port preferences, I'll share my experience.

The two surveys were some months apart, both after Caribbean cruises.

I have no idea what the selection criteria was for participation in the survey's pool but suspect we are in Celebrities target demographic. We are in the age and income bracket they appear to be targeting. We are experienced cruisers having sailed several lines other than Celebrity. We are Elite on Celebrity. We also have significant vacation experience by way of island holidays, and land travel throughout several countries. It would appear to me while Celebrity understands we like their product, we are not committed to them and I have shared both positive criticism along with accolades by way of written letters after some of our cruises with them. I do not know if these factors influence survey participation or not. It may well be they asked their polling vendor "Select so many A's B's C's and so on and do the best you can with the X's an Z's."

The first survey spoke to probably most if not all of the port calls Celebrity makes in the Caribbean, as well as some they don't, and asked if we had interest in these ports. The next part asked for a ranking, eg St Maarten 1-5 Bonaire 1-5 and so on.

Regarding the survey on interest on overnighting, if I remember correctly it was a yes or no answer. I don't recall the question being worded along the line of "Are you in favour of an overnight at the "cost" of a dropped port on an existing cruise you have already booked". It also seems to me there were a number of choices as to where the potential overnights might be. I don't recall any of the smaller ports being on the list, for example Grenada, St. Kitts, Bonaire were not choices but Cozumel, St. Maarten, were. I have no specific recollection of Cartagena mentioned which is ironic as it is the overnight now on our amended itinerary.

IMO, the real issue here is not whether overnights in the Caribbean are a good idea (although it seems strange that Curacao would be selected since it already had a 11PM departure), but rather the fact that Celebrity changed ***already booked*** itineraries. People made plans, many the can't be changed. X, you have royally (pun intended) messed up folk's vacations. Didn't you realize that Bonaire was a rare and special port to many of your guests, they reason they booked?:mad:

On our first cruise with Celebrity, they changed the ports at EMBARKTION day! We specifically booked a cruise because of the BALI destination and when we got to Singapore to Depart, Celebrity told us then that we would not be stopping in Bali or Komodo Island...that was the entire reason we booked that cruise! To make it up to all the ANGRY cruise patrons, they gave us a small future cruise credit. So we decided that we really wanted to go to BONAIRE. We booked the cruisee to go to Bonaire specifially and now AGAIN, they have cancelled the one port we were hoping to see. Celebrity can NOT keep their itineranies straight and it is VERY DIFFICULT to trust them!

On our first cruise with Celebrity, they changed the ports at EMBARKTION day! We specifically booked a cruise because of the BALI destination and when we got to Singapore to Depart, Celebrity told us then that we would not be stopping in Bali or Komodo Island...that was the entire reason we booked that cruise! To make it up to all the ANGRY cruise patrons, they gave us a small future cruise credit. So we decided that we really wanted to go to BONAIRE. We booked the cruisee to go to Bonaire specifially and now AGAIN, they have cancelled the one port we were hoping to see. Celebrity can NOT keep their itineranies straight and it is VERY DIFFICULT to trust them!

Disgusting!

We booked Infinity to tour canada and do the pacific coastal cruise. Made all kinds of plans. Were informed recently , after 2 months of the booking vanishing, that they are changing the 11 night cruise/tour to a 7 night to Alaska. Seems like a joke, but unfortunately true. NO recourse for the consumer.

So yes, DO not trust. When you are making a booking with Celebity it is a crap shoot. You may think you are going to the Pacific Coast but could wind up going anywhere. As you say at embarkation. So bring clothes for just about any situation since you never know.

Can you tell I am angry?

REINSTATE BONAIRE!!!

On our first cruise with Celebrity, they changed the ports at EMBARKTION day! We specifically booked a cruise because of the BALI destination and when we got to Singapore to Depart, Celebrity told us then that we would not be stopping in Bali or Komodo Island...that was the entire reason we booked that cruise! To make it up to all the ANGRY cruise patrons, they gave us a small future cruise credit.

This is a very unusual circumstance. These itineraries were modified as the locals were requiring bribery payments to dock the ships, and Celebrity as part of RCL, a publicly traded company, is forbidden by federal law from offering or paying bribes, so X had nothing to do but cancel or be guilty of a federal offense for bribery of foreign officials. So direct any anger at this decision to the Indonesian Embassy, not Celebrity.

Here's the details.

This is a very unusual circumstance. These itineraries were modified as the locals were requiring bribery payments to dock the ships, and Celebrity as part of RCL, a publicly traded company, is forbidden by federal law from offering or paying bribes, so X had nothing to do but cancel or be guilty of a federal offense for bribery of foreign officials. So direct any anger at this decision to the Indonesian Embassy, not Celebrity.

Here's the details.

The "bribery" or whatever you want to call it, is NOT new and Celebrity has been finding a way to pay it for at least three years.

We were there on the Solstice three years ago and when we arrived the tenders couldn't start for HOURS after they were supposed to because the Bali officials kept changing our "fees". It would get approved and then change.

The captain said Miami had to approve the fee so we couldn't start tendering until both Bali and Celebrity corporate agreed on a figure.

The fact that Celebrity decided to put their foot down at the embarkation of the poster's cruise wasn't ok. If they don't want to pay , they need to eliminate Bali from their itineraries.

The "bribery" or whatever you want to call it, is NOT new and Celebrity has been finding a way to pay it for at least three years.

We were there on the Solstice three years ago and when we arrived the tenders couldn't start for HOURS after they were supposed to because the Bali officials kept changing our "fees". It would get approved and then change.

The captain said Miami had to approve the fee so we couldn't start tendering until both Bali and Celebrity corporate agreed on a figure.

The fact that Celebrity decided to put their foot down at the embarkation of the poster's cruise wasn't ok. If they don't want to pay , they need to eliminate Bali from their itineraries.

I suppose you're right. X simply wanted to ruin their cruisers vacations just because they can. This had nohting to do with bribery. :roll eyes:

Is it possible that this time Bali wanted even more money, is it possible X was concerned that Bali might not allow tenders to return folks to the ship at night, is it possible that Bali wasn't gonna put out more than 1 immigration officer, thus making people wait in hours long lines to get off the ship?

Is it Possible that /RCL had a recent internal audit and realized they were paying bribes and had to cease? Maybe they decided this was the straw that broke the camel's back and decided no more?

X gave PAX OBC and 30% off their next cruise, - this COST X a lot of money. Cabin fares amount to more than $500,000 per day, so assuming most re-booked 7 night cruises, this cost X 30% of $500,000 for 7 days = $1,050,000 in discounts. This should shed some light on how serious these bribes and conversations must have been, and X was getting no response from federal officials to assist in a timely manner.

If port fees became 5 times initial port fees, would passengers be OK being billed for the new revised port fees to their seepass account?

So since this COST x a lot of money (didn't save them anything) what prey-tell could possibly have been their motivation to cancel the call in Bali?

No need to roll eyes.

We want Bonaire reinstated. Until then, we see no goodwill on the part of Celebity, just very poorly explained changes, cancellations and substitutions.

Not a class act in the least, just seems like a cruiseline flying by the seat of their pants. Changes made without care of the opinions of their clientele.

How many of you have written or called Celebrity. I know, its a waste of time.

I am issuing a challenge to any Celeb Rep to come on this site and communicate with us.

Yes I know , a feeble and futile attempt to get a rise out of them.

See, that is the point, all you want to do is get a "rise" out of them.

Now you have admitted what everyone else knew all along.

Sad, young Man.

How many of you have written or called Celebrity. I know, its a waste of time.

I am issuing a challenge to any Celeb Rep to come on this site and communicate with us.

Yes I know , a feeble and futile attempt to get a rise out of them.

What communication are you looking for that you don't already have ?

Why would you want to get a "rise out of them" ?

IMHO the Celebrity reps who respond to this Board are not here for us to ridicule, argue with, or debate policy. They're here to help when they can and frankly I think they do a pretty good job.

Sometimes I swear, I'm embarrassed at how some Cruise Critic members behave.

Edited by WpgCruise

What communication are you looking for that you don't already have ?

Why would you want to get a "rise out of them" ?

IMHO the Celebrity reps who respond to this Board are not here for us to ridicule, argue with, or debate policy. They're here to help when they can and frankly I think they do a pretty good job.

Sometimes I swear, I'm embarrassed at how some Cruise Critic members behave.

Thank you:)

No it did not get into any specific itineraries, it was judging interest in overnights, and gathering data on ports of interest.

So they designed their poll to get the favorable results they wanted, which is pretty much what I figured they did.

Return to all original itineries.

From what year? Bonaire was not on any route when we first sailed on Celebrity in 1994. That would be a return to the original itineries of the Meridian, Zenith and Horizon, when they first entered the Carribean market. This proves how silly this thread truly is.

Return to all original itineries.

From what year? Bonaire was not on any route when we first sailed on Celebrity in 1994. That would be a return to the original itineries of the Meridian, Zenith and Horizon, when they first entered the Carribean market. This proves how silly this thread truly is.

C'mon Wallie.

You know what they meant.

Please return to the itinerary that we had when we booked THIS cruise (or all of these cruises that dropped Bonaire).

They even quoted the post they referred to:

Originally Posted by norwegianwood57 View Post

This is an appeal to Celebrity to [b]reinstate Bonaire instead of Curacao for the 2016 season[/b]. No one asked us if this is what we want. It is.

Edited by chamima

C'mon Wallie.

You know what they meant.

Please return to the itinerary that we had when we booked THIS cruise (or all of these cruises that dropped Bonaire).

They even quoted the post they referred to:

Originally Posted by norwegianwood57 View Post

This is an appeal to Celebrity to [b]reinstate Bonaire instead of Curacao for the 2016 season[/b]. No one asked us if this is what we want. It is.

I'm sorry, it was late, I know, the Devil made me do it:o

See, that is the point, all you want to do is get a "rise" out of them.

Now you have admitted what everyone else knew all along.

Sad, young Man.

After all these posts, you still dont seem to understand what we want from Celebity.

REINSTATE BONAIRE.

Can I say it any simpler than that?

As for Christine Frances, I really dont understand what she is thanking YOU for. You are not advancing our cause here.

If you have no intention of appealing to Celebrity to reinstate Bonaire, then please post on a different thread and stick to the topic. That goes for anyone else as well that does not wish to help here.

Please stay on Topic.

It is to appeal to Celebrity to reinstate Bonaire for Itineraries that have been booked. For those itineraries that are NOT out yet Celebity can do what they wish and we will book or not. For 2016, 2017 we have left deposits for the itineraries offered. Those are the ABC's, Not anything else.

IS this plain enough? Wallie and others?