Appeal to celebrity cruiselines to reinstate bonaire

norwegianwood57

It's not meaningless at all. To YOU it is, but not in terms of a margin of error.

Whether the margin of error contains meaning depends upon what you're trying to say.

If you're saying that the poll results are representative of the opinions of those cruise critic members who responded to the poll, then the margin of error has meaning.

The margin of error of this poll is meaningless if you're trying to say that the poll is representative of the opinions of the cruising public.

The reason it is meaningless in the second instance is because you didn't poll a representative sample of the cruising public since only cruise critic members could respond.

Think of it this way. Would you conduct a poll of residents of Scottsboro Alabama and say the results are representative of the residents of San Francisco?

Wallie, my response to you can only be, that you are off topic.

This is a thread for those who wish to see Celebrity reinstate Bonaire for the two seasons 2016, 2017 , that they put out for booking and many of us have.

Also for those, in general that wish to see Celebrity keep to the itineraries they put out and change future ones so people have a choice. Not ram it down our throats whether we like it or not.

You dont fall into these two categories.

Perhaps you would like to start a thread of your own.

I was just repeating what the person who initiated the thread requested. Sorry that you don't want to honor her request.

Whether the margin of error contains meaning depends upon what you're trying to say.

If you're saying that the poll results are representative of the opinions of those cruise critic members who responded to the poll, then the margin of error has meaning.

The margin of error of this poll is meaningless if you're trying to say that the poll is representative of the opinions of the cruising public.

The reason it is meaningless in the second instance is because you didn't poll a representative sample of the cruising public since only cruise critic members could respond.

Think of it this way. Would you conduct a poll of residents of Scottsboro Alabama and say the results are representative of the residents of San Francisco?

Your Scottsboro vs. SF comment is incorrect. All members of Cruise Critic are members of the cruising public, not all members of the cruising public are members of CC though. Not all residents of Scottsboro are residents of SF or vice versa. It's apples vs cacti there.

It's very easy to extrapolate what the approximate percentage is based on the poll. Even if the margin of error was doubled to 14.2%, the overwhelming majority are still against it.

I've seen smaller samples in Presidential elections that are within a margin of error of 5% that's highly accurate. And those polls are given to likely voters. Whereas the poll in question here is directed at those definitely booked on affected cruises, not likely to book one.

There should probably be a different poll encompassing all who cruise Celebrity and not just one for those have an affected cruise. That would probably give better insight.

Your Scottsboro vs. SF comment is incorrect. All members of Cruise Critic are members of the cruising public, not all members of the cruising public are members of CC though. Not all residents of Scottsboro are residents of SF or vice versa. It's apples vs cacti there.

You're correct, I should have said: "Think of it this way. Would you conduct a poll of residents of Scottsboro Alabama and say the results are representative of the residents of United States?"

BTW, nothing against Scottsboro. It's a wonderful town but you would probably get different polling results.

But, you also make a good point in that not all members of the cruising public are members of cruise critic. Now, are you willing to admit that there maybe differences between members of cruise critic and the cruising public?

It's very easy to extrapolate what the approximate percentage is based on the poll. Even if the margin of error was doubled to 14.2%, the overwhelming majority are still against it.

I've seen smaller samples in Presidential elections that are within a margin of error of 5% that's highly accurate. And those polls are given to likely voters. Whereas the poll in question here is directed at those definitely booked on affected cruises, not likely to book one.

Exactly the point. You are sampling a very, very, small population, those who are members of cruise critic and who have affected cruises booked. I have little doubt that your poll is accurate. Nor, do I doubt that it represents the population you polled. I'm also sure the calculation of the margin of error is also accurate. None of this things should be in dispute. Where I have doubt is when you try to extrapolate those results to the cruising public.

You certainly could say that based upon this poll, a majority of cruise critic members who currently have reservations on the affected cruises do not agree with the change. It is another thing to say that based upon this poll a majority of the cruising public disagrees with the change.

There should probably be a different poll encompassing all who cruise Celebrity and not just one for those have an affected cruise. That would probably give better insight.

Exactly. But even that poll would only allow you to make statements about the preferences of the membership of cruise critic and not the preferences of the cruising public.

Furthermore, other posters report that Celebrity has polled the cruising public. Celebrity claims that poll supports their decision. At this point, the only safe conclusion you can reach is that Celebrity polled a different population, a population that is larger and more representative of the cruising public, and that larger and different population had different desires than the population you polled. Either that, or you have to believe that Celebrity is lying about the results of their poll.

Furthermore, other posters report that Celebrity has polled the cruising public. Celebrity claims that poll supports their decision. At this point, the only safe conclusion you can reach is that Celebrity polled a different population, a population that is larger and more representative of the cruising public, and that larger and different population had different desires than the population you polled. Either that, or you have to believe that Celebrity is lying about the results of their poll.

And if X is lying about the results of their poll, then one needs to also believe that X has made big business decision that flew in the face of their polling data.

That doesn't really make a lot of sense so is likely not what's happened.

And if X is lying about the results of their poll, then one needs to also believe that X has made big business decision that flew in the face of their polling data.

Not only are they disregarding their polling data when making business decisions, they are consciously deciding to not provide the goods and services that the cruising public has indicated it desires. I ask you as a person who operates a business, does that sound like a sound management approach?

Not only are they disregarding their polling data when making business decisions, they are consciously deciding to not provide the goods and services that the cruising public has indicated it desires. I ask you as a person who operates a business, does that sound like a sound management approach?

Why would you believe X is disregarding their polling data when making business decisions ?

Why would you believe X is deciding not to provide the goods and services that the cruising public has indicated it desires ?

Everything I see is counter to your statements.

X is responding to the information from their surveys (and probably other market research tools not mentioned) and is providing their customers with the what we have indicated we want.

Edited by WpgCruise

I wonder if when Cuba is opened for travel by US authorities to the mass lines, if people would be upset over changed itineraries without their prior consent?

There is no doubt that the moment Cuba opens, X and others will change current itineraries and ports of call to hit this new destination.

Or should we expect X wait it out for 2 years while others go there, since it already has published itineraries?

I understand that a lot of people are taking issue with the fact that the company decided to make a change to their itineraries. I know that a lot of people are taking issue also that our UK friends can't get deposits back after they make their reservations, which seems to be why a lot of people are upset. My question is, why is the policy different on the other side of the pond? I went to the UK site and looked at their terms and conditions and it seems as if they are dealing with the company directly, and not some separate affiliate.

That being the case, shouldn't Celebrity change the policy to be the same worldwide? I don't understand why they would have a company policy be different from one country to the next. If someone could enlighten me to this I would appreciate it.

Why would you believe X is disregarding their polling data when making business decisions ?

Why would you believe X is deciding not to provide the goods and services that the cruising public has indicated it desires ?

Everything I see is counter to your statements.

X is responding to the information from their surveys (and probably other market research tools not mentioned) and is providing their customers with the what we have indicated we want.

Those answers were in response to a hypothetical made by cle-guy and can only be understood in context to his post. Please re-read my responses after you've read post #107 and that should clear up my meaning.

That being the case, shouldn't Celebrity change the policy to be the same worldwide? I don't understand why they would have a company policy be different from one country to the next. If someone could enlighten me to this I would appreciate it.

Sounds like an interesting idea but you would never be able to write that contract. Differing laws in differing countries would make it a nightmare. What one country says you cannot do another would say you have to do. Besides, I for one, would not like all the regulations the UK/EU places on the cruise lines. Those additional 'protections' cost money. Money I would prefer to spend on other things. They haven't helped those who don't like these changes have they?

It's all in the question.

The wording of a poll question and can have an big influence on the poll result.

If the poll was generic in nature , perhaps along the lines of " would it

interest you if we introduced some overnights ?"

As that question stands the results would differ greatly if they were to add

" we will decide the overnight and the cancelled port as we see fit even on

previously booked itineraries "

Control the question and you control the result..

They would not be the first company that made a senseless decision.

Maybe it was decided by the person in charge of their web site

Celebrity, please bring back Bonaire. Many of us were really looking forward to this new port on your itinerary.

That's my opinion, and I'm sticking to it.

Infinity Oct. 27 still has Bonaire on their schedule, why not come and join us on that cruise. We have been to Bonaire 3 times before on Celebrity ships and I expect they are not dropping Bonaire for the rest of our lives.

Pat

As rubypl stated, as a bucket list trip I booked the ABC islands not the AC islands. This is a big issue for me. Will we cancel probably not. However, this was to be our first cruise on Celebrity. We cruise 3-4 times a year on multiple week cruises. We've sailed on Holland America, Oceana, NCL, Royal C and Windstar (25 plus cruises) and being newly retired was looking forward to a new cruise line (recently booked Constellation in Sept 2016 for 11 days in the Med.) n e best way to start a new relationship.

as someone who has boobed the eclispe for 2016, i booked it because bonaire was included. bring back bonaire.

Sorry, I hate to be "that guy" and I know it's a typo, but I chuckled.

:D

We are booked on two 2016 Eclipse sailings that we booked for the diversity of ports on the original itinerary. Neither of us were asked if we wanted to stay longer in Curacao by cancelling a port call in Bonaire.

We're asking, since you implied that you respond to requests?

X%20Overnight_zpsn9qpzw0x.png

I wrote and called to ask Celebrity to please at least re-think their 2016 decision.

We are also (so far, at least) booked on two 2017 cruises that have been affected and , since it's so far away, is much palatable (even though we personally have no desire to do overnights in the Caribbean)

Here's why:

willemstad-at-night.jpg

4652734094_a0d5fd6939_b.jpg

4652734094_a0d5fd6939_z.jpgPontjesbrug by night by Arthur Kamminga, on Flickr

869tKm

Our cruise was originally scheduled to leave Curacao at 11 pm and we could already see what you posted.

I'll again re-iterate what so many are saying - if Celebrity wants to change things up a bit, fine, just don't do it in 2016.

I don't think they're lying about the results of their poll, but I doubt they had a large sample. Much like the accusations of CC's polling total. There's also a way to to ask a question in a poll to get the desired results.

If they asked, "Would you be in favor of overnight stays in select Caribbean ports?" I'd say yes, because I'd hope for it to be Cozumel.

If they instead asked (and I doubt they did ask it this way), "Would you be in favor in overnight stays in select Caribbean ports in replacement of visiting another port?" I'd say no. And I truly suspect the majority of people would, because they would not know which port is being replaced. Also, more people want to additional ports rather then less, even if it includes an overnight stay.

I wrote and called to ask Celebrity to please at least re-think their 2016 decision.

We are also (so far, at least) booked on two 2017 cruises that have been affected and , since it's so far away, is much palatable (even though we personally have no desire to do overnights in the Caribbean)

Our cruise was originally scheduled to leave Curacao at 11 pm and we could already see what you posted.

I'll again re-iterate what so many are saying - if Celebrity wants to change things up a bit, fine, just don't do it in 2016.

To bad we will not see that on sail away. These lights flickering in the distance. Due of course to not leaving at 11 pm but rather 5 pm., before dark, the next day.