Hairdryer Questions

We are going on the Serenade with a group later this month and some friends have asked if they have to bring their own hair dryers, or are the ones provided in the cabin good enough to style your hair.

What type of hair dryers are provided?

Is there a difference in quality, depending on which cabin you are in? (There is on Celebrity).

Also, do you still have to wrap a rubber band around the ON button to keep the hair dryer on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

We are going on the Serenade with a group later this month and some friends have asked if they have to bring their own hair dryers, or are the ones provided in the cabin good enough to style your hair.

What type of hair dryers are provided?

Is there a difference in quality, depending on which cabin you are in? (There is on Celebrity).

Also, do you still have to wrap a rubber band around the ON button to keep the hair dryer on?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Whether their good enough is a personal choice...and no one can speak for other's and their particular style and hair type. They can be good enough but if I can I prefer to bring my own...hotter,quicker and what I'm familure with using.

I don't find it necessary when I use the ships to take a rubberband...I can easily hold that button down.

Let everyone make their own decision this doesn't need to be a group one. ;):)

...Is there a difference in quality, depending on which cabin you are in? (There is on Celebrity)....

I've never noticed a difference in hair dryer quality based on stateroom category.

When we were in a D1, I think we had one of the ones like a hotel connected to the wall with a spiral cord. In a suite they had a regular 1000 or 1500 watt blow dryer.

I have not been on Serenade tho...

Thank you to Clarea and LilBlackDress, your posts were helpful.

Ashland, I was just asking for the experience of others....if you thought the hair dryer was good enough to style your hair, and for some factual information..is the hair dryer the type where you have to continually hold the button down. This latter information is relevant for someone who has arthritis, and will help them make their choice as to whether it is worth the inconvenience to bring their own hair dryer. Thank you for your comment that, if possible, you prefer to bring your own.

....is the hair dryer the type where you have to continually hold the button down. ...

Yes, the hair dryers provided by the ship have the button that must be continually pressed.

Anyone who depends on blow drying to look good will be well advised to bring their own dryer. The provided ones are hotel-style....snub nosed...and they don't BLOW very hard at all....takes forever and doesn't separate the hair strands.

I always take big rubber bands to use on the hair dryers to hold the button down. It is very difficult for me to continuously hold that button while trying to dry my hair......and I don't have arthritis! That's just me, though! Someone left a rubber band on the hairdryer before us. I thought that was so clever, so I've been doing that ever since.

Anyone who depends on blow drying to look good will be well advised to bring their own dryer. The provided ones are hotel-style....snub nosed...and they don't BLOW very hard at all....takes forever and doesn't separate the hair strands.

This has been my experience.

If one likes the type of "hotel" hairdryer; they will be fine with what they find on a cruise ship.

I prefer my own hairdryer and always travel with it.

I find the ones on the ship to be very basic and not very hot. Several years ago bought a small dryer with a folding handle. I think it's 1500 watts. I start using that one a couple of weeks prior to the cruise and by the time of the cruise it's "normal." In fact, just got home from the Independence last night and this morning my "home" dryer felt so heavy!

Thanks so much everyone.

I have passed your answers on to my friends, and I think your posts will give them enough information to help them make an informed decision, according to their own personal preferences.

As ever, Cruise Critic rocks!!

I have long curly hair. If I were ever to attempt to blow dry my hair straight with the stateroom's dryer I'd need about 6 hours and will still end up with a frizzy mess and carpa tunnel.

Funny story: My hair is so long and takes so long to dry that, on our first cruise, as I was drying my hair I created so much steam that the smoke alarm went off. It was so embarrassing to have to explain to the crew that knocked at my door 2 minutes later what happened, and having to endure the stares from the neighbors as this was happening. LOL!

Lesson learned. Now I blow dry before the cruise, try to save it as much as I can with high ponytails or buns, and end the trip with curly hair. And I now carry a ponytail hair piece for those formal nights ;)

Edited by sherezada

• 2 weeks later...
So there are no restrictions on bringing one with you? The "hotel" style ones don't work for me at all.

Thanks for the info!!

Paula

No restirctions on hair dryers, hair curlers, or hair straighteners.

This is a good post as I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about the hairdryers. :D

We're on Allure but I'm assuming all ships are similar, so 2 related questions

1. I'm assuming that the hairdryers are connected to the wall in the bathroom?
  2. Are there plugs with a vanity mirror provided in the main stateroom (we're in a promenade room)

Reason I'm asking is if the hairdryer is tied to the bathroom, then that's less efficient as someone else cannot shower while I dry my hair. But if there is a plug in the stateroom where I can plug in my own hairdryer (with a mirror), then person 2 can shower while I dry my hair. (DH, DS and DD air/towel dry their hair)

This is a good post as I'm glad I'm not the only one concerned about the hairdryers. :D

We're on Allure but I'm assuming all ships are similar, so 2 related questions

1. I'm assuming that the hairdryers are connected to the wall in the bathroom?
  2. Are there plugs with a vanity mirror provided in the main stateroom (we're in a promenade room)

Reason I'm asking is if the hairdryer is tied to the bathroom, then that's less efficient as someone else cannot shower while I dry my hair. But if there is a plug in the stateroom where I can plug in my own hairdryer (with a mirror), then person 2 can shower while I dry my hair. (DH, DS and DD air/towel dry their hair)

From what I've read, there is no plug in the bathroom (other than those weird shaver type ones). The hairdryer and its outlet are in the stateroom itself.

From what I've read, there is no plug in the bathroom (other than those weird shaver type ones). The hairdryer and its outlet are in the stateroom itself.

That's correct, and the bathroom plug is not rated for the power a hairdryer consumes.

Let everyone make their own decision this doesn't need to be a group one. ;):)

Unless that person likes to hear the opinion of others. Didn't think they were going to introduce a new request to RC about how it should be.