Advice for BEST ... Hawaiian Cruise Info?

kdinkus1

There are thousands of great posts on these boards about Hawaii but it takes so much time to read thru all the cruise stories to find the recommendations of what to do and whom to do it with. So I was hoping that people might participate in this study so I could put it into a spreadsheet. I know this will benefit me greatly in my planning and I, of course, would share it with anyone who might ask. Thank you for any help given! :D

I. The Islands: Your Choice of:

1. Best Carnival Excursions In:

Maui

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Honolulu

2. Best Shopping In:

Maui

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Honolulu

3. Best Beaches In:

Maui

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Honolulu

4. Best Private Tours In:

Maui

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Honolulu

5. Best Car Rentals In:

Maui

Hilo

Kona

Kauai

Honolulu

I still don't fully understand the Carnival rule boards at times so if any of my questions are not allowed, I do apologize and will take that specific one off as soon as it is told to me. I do not want to offend. Thank you.

B) What to Miss/Not Miss:

Maui -

Hilo -

Kona -

Kauai -

Honolulu -

C) Extra Advice or Thoughts:

The only question specific to this board is Best Carnival excursions in.... All the others are answered dozens of times on the Hawaii board under Ports of Call. EM

A good reason not to do ships excursions presented itself last December on the Miracle.

Due to weather/propulsion issues our itinerary was changed and our first stop became hilo at 2 pm and the main attraction is volcano nat park.

We had booked a private 8 hour tour but since it got dark at 5 cancelled it and arranged with two other couples to rent van and go right to the park which we got to at 3 pm and spent a few hours visiting.

The Carnival tours had a better idea. They took busloads of people to a macadamian nut factory first as it closed at 5 (obviusly the highlight of the day:rolleyes::rolleyes: and got to the park at 5 pm as it was getting dark and started to rain.

Lot of very unhappy people on the ships tour.

OP wants us to give the tour guides and all other info to make up a spreadsheet.

Well, so far the spread sheet appears to have no answers;) Even if answers come this evening, they still might be different and subjective.

I'm sorry that my thread has started out the way it has. If I could 'delete' it, I would but I don't think it's possible. I have read many of the threads on Hawaii but trying to find the answers I needed among the rest of the stories, had become all time consuming. By asking it all on one page, I had hoped for lots of replies to find the best excursions, shopping, beaches, etc... for each island. Then I had hoped to tally it all up and make a spreadsheet with the 'best of the best' for future cruisers as well. It is all subjective... I understand that. However, if enough replies indicated that one beach was preferred over all the others or a certain tour guide was the best - than that would simplify so much. I thought this would have been a great help to all who cruised Hawaii. I have no doubt that this will be my only trip to the islands so I wanted to do it right. That was the reason for my questions... not because I hadn't researched on my own.

I'm sorry that my thread has started out the way it has. If I could 'delete' it, I would but I don't think it's possible. I have read many of the threads on Hawaii but trying to find the answers I needed among the rest of the stories, had become all time consuming. By asking it all on one page, I had hoped for lots of replies to find the best excursions, shopping, beaches, etc... for each island. Then I had hoped to tally it all up and make a spreadsheet with the 'best of the best' for future cruisers as well. It is all subjective... I understand that. However, if enough replies indicated that one beach was preferred over all the others or a certain tour guide was the best - than that would simplify so much. I thought this would have been a great help to all who cruised Hawaii. I have no doubt that this will be my only trip to the islands so I wanted to do it right. That was the reason for my questions... not because I hadn't researched on my own.

It is a lot to read...

As you read have a pen and paper and jot down the info as you come to it.

There are hundreds of ways to occupy your time in Hawaii- so , the question isn't really a good one.

Better would be to head to your library and find out about what is available in Hawaii with Hawaii travel guides. THEN narrow down your interests. Mine aren't going to be yours. :) I can tell you my top snorkel choices, but couldn't care less about "shopping".

Car rentals are similar- a well maintained car is all you want. Price determines my choice. I haven't had any issues with car rentals- about 20 trips to Hawaii.

There are many "not to miss", again, depending on YOUR interests. and way more than you can do in a single trip.

Sorry things didn't go well. Next time plan the Caribbean and the answers will come out of the woodwork:eek:

I know you posed your question with the best of intentions! :D

While our Disney Cruise in Sept will be our first trip to Hawaii, this is what we are doing if it helps any! (Partially based on feedback from my parents NCL cruise last year).

Honolulu pre-cruise: Diamond Head hike / Pearl Harbour

Maui: Road to Hana (Valley Isle Excursions) / Mt Haleakala sunrise tour (Haleakala Bike Co)

Kauai: Doors off helicopter tour (Mauna Loa Helicopter Tours) / Beach near Marriott

Hilo: Mary Lou Island tour

For car rental, it seems as if http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com often has the best rates.

We are very much looking forward to this trip! I think there is also a good thread in the Hawaiian board where everyone lists their planned itineraries in one place, that might be helpful if you haven't already run across it.

Jenn :)

Hi gammy,

I understand that your intentions are good, but I don't think this forum is active enough to provide the quantity of information that you need for your spreadsheet.

One place that I really like as a starting point for research on ports is the CC Port Reviews - They are quite detailed and provide a lot of the information that you're asking for. Here's the one for Maui http://www.cruisecritic.com/ports/newport.cfm?ID=472 (for the other ports in Hawaii, click on the link under "related ports of call")

Also, this book might be of help.

The suggestion by someone else here to keep a pencil and paper handy while reading through the threads here is a very good one.

Good luck with your plans.:)

Edited by Susan-M

As others have said, what to do in any port is a subjective thing. Many people will insist that you need to rent a car. My hubby's biggest rule is he doesn't want to rent a car while in port. Some people will insist you need to do ----. But it might not be the best thing for you.

Here's what I do: 1. Get some guidebooks on the area from the library and then skim the info to give me some ideas to present to my family. 2. If there's a book or two that I really like, I'll try to find the latest edition (now that book stores are almost extinct, there's Amazon or other online books).

3. I also google each port. Tons of tourism sites to be found. 4. I look at the cruise line's excursions. Most of the time we just go into any port on our own, but often I get ideas from the listed tours.

If we do book any excursion, we actually prefer going through Princess. We've enjoyed their excursions more than the few we've booked otherwise. And I haven't found that much of a difference between booking through the cruise line and a similar one online. We also haven't experienced the cattle call that some people will insist is what you get on a ship's excursion. But maybe it's because I've picked the right ones. But again, I do my research whether we book something or we DIY.

And for our last two cruises (our last three have been the RT LA-Hawaii ones on Princess), I gave my daughter some brochures I had mailed to me about the Hawaiian ports (ten years ago, but much info still valid) with some post its and had her indicate what she would like to do. Did the same with the excursion lists on the Princess website -- gave her a legal pad and had her write down the ones that interested her. I did have to eliminate a couple of places she selected because they would be closed on the day we're there. Also we were in Maui on Christmas Day so I asked the place we wanted to go to if they would be opened (and they were:).

You know what will interest you. Now if you are trying to decide between a couple of options, then the Hawaii area is the place to ask. But it really will be easier for you to look through a guide book to get ideas.

I appreciate all the kind feedback since my last post. And I am taking it all to heart and looking up all the sites as well as the books mentioned. I have officially began my own notebook and plan on filling it until I'm in information 'overload'... Just kidding! I know that in time, it won't feel so overwhelming. Thanks everyone.

Aloha Gammy3gks,

I totally get your feeling of being overwhelmed with where to start on making your touring decisions for your Hawaii cruise. Hawaii is my very favorite place on the entire planet, and we've spent a total of about 3 1/2 months on Maui over the last few years.

I have only done one Hawaii cruise and that was on DCL in 2012. Loved it! I know zero about CCL's excursions as I have never cruised with them anywhere.

Car rental in Hawaii? Easy peasy. If you're a Costco member, be sure to check their rates along with http://www.discounthawaiicarrental.com. I've used them both many times for the major companies and been very pleased.

You don't say if you've been to Hawaii or not (or perhaps I missed that??), and what your interests and activity levels will be. That would be helpful info.

Shopping on Maui? Hmm. There are 2 malls in Kahului (btw, where are you docking for Maui? Tendering in Lahaina or docking in Kahului?), and the funky little surfer town of Paia is nearby to Kahului with some very interesting boutiques and cafes. Whalers Village in Ka'anapali has some wonderful shops, many are high end stores though. The Shops at Wailea in south Maui are also very nice and many high-end. Downtown Lahaiana along Front St, has tons of shopping though much of it is what I consider tacky touristy. Certainly not all though. Lots of art galleries and restaurants, many very good ones. There are other shops scattered all over the island. Makawao is upcountry from Paia town and has some cute shops.

Beaches? Wow. Just for Maui alone it's hard to know where to start! What do you want to do at the beach? Are you just sightseeing or tanning, or snorkeling or?? Wailea and Makena beaches are south Maui. Ka'anapali Beach is world renown and lined with resorts and the above mentioned Whalers Village shops and restaurants. Napili is gorgeous. Kapalua is gorgeous. Oluwalu has great snorkeling. PLEASE read up on ocean safety and potential ocean conditions if you intend to snorkel. Unless you are a very seasoned ocean snorkeler, you would probably do well to do a snorkel tour if that interests you.

A sunset sail on a "cat" is a gorgeous way to see Maui Nui (includes Lana'i, Moloka'i, and Koho'olawe). Iao Valley is beautiful and very easy and quick to tour. Check island events calendars to see if there are any art, music or craft fairs that might interest you during your visit.

What time of year are you going? This can change what sort of options you might have if it would be Humpback season.

I recommend you frequent TripAdvisor's Hawaii forums and read. A LOT. There's tons of great info there, and though not at all geared toward cruisers, there's much great info to be gleaned.

For my DD#2 and I, who will be on the Disney Wonder in September, we are starting with 2 nights at Disney's Aulani Resort on Oahu where we will begin our 10 night cruise. We overnight on Maui where I have secured a car rental. I have lunch reservations at my very favorite special occasion restaurant, Feast at Lele booked for our overnight, and plans to drive upcountry to the Ali'i Kula Lavender Farm, which is a favorite stop for DH and me. We will go to Paia, Ka'anapali, Whalers Village and drive past Kapalua to the Nakalele Blowhole. We will be sure to grab an Ululani's Shave Ice at a location convenient to our touring.

On Kauai we have secured a photo tour which is highly rated. On the Big Island, again we have booked a private tour and will see VNP, Big Island Candies, waterfalls, and stop at KTA for some great poke!! Who knows what else we will find and do!

"Best" excursion is what interests you most, not what one of us says it is.

Most of these other "bests" are totally subjective. There will not be one right answer.

Although that certainly is true more often than not, we can all agree a place like Pearl Harbor is one of the best attractions to visit in Honolulu. Otherwise buying tickets for it would be easy and did not have to be done so far in advance.

You can also say a luau is one of the best attractions because it is a true Hawaii experience, one of those things were you say, "Only in Hawaii." It is not really a complete Hawaii experience until you do that IMO.

And what about the Polynesian Center? That is part of Hawaiian culture.