Royal Princess gym

RavennaM

Hi guys, I am considering of booking my first Princess cruise and I have found controversial information about Royals gym. Does it open at 6 am or 7 am. Others say six, others seven and one guy said you can hit the gym 24/7. Which is correct? Plase help, because this is a big deal for me. If it opens just 7 am, I might have to consider other cruise, since early mornings at the gym on sea are one of the best things about cruising for me! Thanks already!

Hi guys, I am considering of booking my first Princess cruise and I have found controversial information about Royals gym. Does it open at 6 am or 7 am. Others say six, others seven and one guy said you can hit the gym 24/7. Which is correct? Plase help, because this is a big deal for me. If it opens just 7 am, I might have to consider other cruise, since early mornings at the gym on sea are one of the best things about cruising for me! Thanks already!

Opening time may depend on the itinerary. On our Regal cruise I believe that it opened at 6 am. I never made it that early so I don't actually know. Hopefully, if you post your sailing maybe others can more accurately answer the question. BTW, I do know there was not a 24/7 gym time.

Edited by ar1950

Opening time may depend on the itinerary. On our Regal cruise I believe that it opened at 6 am. I never made it that early so I don't actually know. Hopefully, if you post your sailing maybe others can more accurately answer the question. BTW, I do know there was not a 24/7 gym time.

Thanks! I am considering of booking 21 day Mediterranean cruise from Athens summer 2016, so nobody probably knows for sure what the opening times will be on that itinerary. But usually on other ships the opening times are exactly the same every itinerary.

Anyone else has knowledge about this?

On the Royal last October (NYC to FL) & Regal in April (FL to Copenhagen) the gym hours were posted as 7:00 am until 10:00 pm.

We went as early as 5:30 and it was open & no issues with using the gym. I think the hours are enforced on ships with passenger cabins below the gym however the Royal-class ships only have the buffet below the gym & wouldn't disturb any passengers.

This was my gym experience during a total of 27 days on both cruises...no problem at all using the gym during "off" hours. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

Was on the Royal in April and found the gym to be a little on the cramped side compared to earlier ships. Also with its location it gets very warm in there during the day so go early.

On the Royal last October (NYC to FL) & Regal in April (FL to Copenhagen) the gym hours were posted as 7:00 am until 10:00 pm.

We went as early as 5:30 and it was open & no issues with using the gym. I think the hours are enforced on ships with passenger cabins below the gym however the Royal-class ships only have the buffet below the gym & wouldn't disturb any passengers.

This was my gym experience during a total of 27 days on both cruises...no problem at all using the gym during "off" hours. :)

Thanks, that is great news. Hopefully we can use gym of hours on our cruise as well. I think I am ready to book!! :)

Thanks, that is great news. Hopefully we can use gym of hours on our cruise as well. I think I am ready to book!! :)

You're welcome & we prefer to go early before it gets crowded...have a great cruise & hope you'll enjoy the Royal as much as us. :D

Edited by Astro Flyer

The equipment was in good shape in February; every mill, elliptical and adaptive trainer was working, which hasn't been my experience on Celebrity in particular and other Princess ships on occasion. I also kind of enjoyed the fitness stations outdoors on the running track, on the deck above the fitness center. I can't remember exactly how many time around for a mile - I think it was 7 - but there are about 8-10 stations for doing basic weight and balance training, which was pretty neat early morning in the Caribbean. It was nice to have an outdoor workout option in addition to the usual indoor equipment.

Unreal , you will consider another cruise if the gym opens at 7am. WOW

The equipment was in good shape in February; every mill, elliptical and adaptive trainer was working, which hasn't been my experience on Celebrity in particular and other Princess ships on occasion. I also kind of enjoyed the fitness stations outdoors on the running track, on the deck above the fitness center. I can't remember exactly how many time around for a mile - I think it was 7 - but there are about 8-10 stations for doing basic weight and balance training, which was pretty neat early morning in the Caribbean. It was nice to have an outdoor workout option in addition to the usual indoor equipment.

Sounds great. Do you happen to remember if there is pull-up rod nearby jogging track too?

Yep that's me! :)

On sea days I usually work out twice a day, so gym hours and jogging track are very important things to me when I am choosing a cruise.

Sounds great. Do you happen to remember if there is pull-up rod nearby jogging track too?

The walking/jogging track had several stationary pieces of exercise equipment, which you can see some of them in these pictures (painted silver). They were usually located:

- on the inside lanes of the track

- on the back half of the track aft of the stairs that lead up from the Sun Deck (look at the deck plan, you'll see what I mean)

- both port and starboard sides

- were bolted to the deck.

(Look next to where to guy is mopping)

11579730215_18a6c83c37_c.jpg

11580069564_3b4b3b7422_c.jpg

11205198755_674b46455c_c.jpg

11510328605_af9ba35ac0_c.jpg

11510319285_589bf672cd_c.jpg

Edited by dmwnc1959

Thank you so much for pictures and information!! I think I am definitely ready to make a decision! Welcome aboard running with me around Royal Princess from Athens next July!! :) :)

I hope you have a GREAT cruise. She is truly a gorgeous ship.

:D

We would too......besides how Princess does ATD when they open their gyms is something I do not like either. Most cruise lines allow you to workout at 6:00AM or earlier but on many Princess ships they do not open their gym until 7:00AM.

That time really creates a big problem for people who like to workout early and not have to make a decision between working out or eating breakfast when it is a port day to get off the ship in a timely manner...

We would too......besides how Princess does ATD when they open their gyms is something I do not like either. Most cruise lines allow you to workout at 6:00AM or earlier but on many Princess ships they do not open their gym until 7:00AM.

That time really creates a big problem for people who like to workout early and not have to make a decision between working out or eating breakfast when it is a port day to get off the ship in a timely manner...

When I sailed on the Royal Princess in the fall of 2013, I was in the Aerobics Room by 5:30 AM for my Yoga practice. There were usually one or two people using treadmills. While the sign may say 7:00 AM, I don't think they turn the treadmills off or police the area like they do on other Princess ships. Of course, that may have changed depending on who is running the show.

Too bad about the lack of steam or sauna facilities! The Sun and Grand class of ships have wonderful facilities to unwind and relax in after work outs. I use them after each of my two daily work outs. In almost every gym or health club ashore you will find similar facilities. Too bad Princess ignored the likes and desires of the very demographic they market to, and without these facilities I will not cruise of the two R ships. In this I am not alone as I know of several others who will not go back onto these 2 ships for that very reason.

I find 7:00 annoying late, as well.

I like to go to the gym, shower, and then go to the dining room for

breakfast.

7:00 is really pushing it.

• 11 months later...

Hi RavennaM, I am going on the 21 day Mediterranean cruise departing Athens July 9 2016. Did you end up booking this cruise? Prior to that I will be doing the Regal Princess Scandinavian cruise and will be in port at Helsinki on 2 July 2016. Willing to take up your offer of a gym/running companion and meet if you will be around.