Muster Drill with 2 little ones

BullDawg91: I have always wanted to try Disney Cruises. They look like they would be so much fun!! But the prices have always held us back... So for the time now, all I can do is 'dream' of cruising with the Disney Princesses! :)

anamarieus: I carry a battery fan with me on board for excursions, etc. but I never thought of using it for the muster drills. What a GREAT idea!! Maybe before my next cruise, I'll hit the Dollar store and purchase several... Did you mean that you get claustrophobic while standing in the Muster lines? I can certainly understand that! :( )

Edited by gammy3gks

BullDawg91: I have always wanted to try Disney Cruises. They look like they would be so much fun!! But the prices have always held us back... So for the time now, all I can do is 'dream' of cruising with the Disney Princesses! :)

anamarieus: I carry a battery fan with me on board for excursions, etc. but I never thought of using it for the muster drills. What a GREAT idea!! Maybe before my next cruise, I'll hit the Dollar store and purchase several... Did you mean that you get claustrophobic while standing in the Muster lines? I can certainly understand that! :( )

I sure can't do DCL every time unless I don't want to go often, but I did love it.

I also think that if they would designate an area for those passengers I mentioned above, (the elderly, parents with small children, those with health issues) - (at each assigned muster station), MD would be so much easier for them as well!

I don't think changing the current practice of having these people sit in an indoor area for their muster drill to a designated area at each muster station would make the muster drill easier for them. I know when I was in a situation where I went to the disabled muster area it was much better than being in a designated area on the deck would have been.

In addition to a designated, indoor, seated muster area, these folks are given an opportunity to leave and get to the elevators before the hoards come in from the decks. One of the reasons folks are not released as soon as the main part of the muster is over -- so they don't trample those needing a bit of extra time / assistance.

buy some plastic battery operated hand held fans from the dollar store. they work wonders to keep you somewhat comfortable during the drill.

I have to use one for my claustrophobia. its worth a shot!

Great idea...I got that too hot and crawling out of my skin WAY ON LAST CRUISE..that waiting in the back...some people a bit too tipsy and yes I had had my first unpacking drink which is a con at this point for the heat wave.....but just love the getting there ONE drink before this phase..the celebrating unpack I'm really here phase......great idea...goldfish for kids...fans for adults LOL...sarah

Edited by sjn911

I don't think changing the current practice of having these people sit in an indoor area for their muster drill to a designated area at each muster station would make the muster drill easier for them. I know when I was in a situation where I went to the disabled muster area it was much better than being in a designated area on the deck would have been.

In addition to a designated, indoor, seated muster area, these folks are given an opportunity to leave and get to the elevators before the hoards come in from the decks. One of the reasons folks are not released as soon as the main part of the muster is over -- so they don't trample those needing a bit of extra time / assistance.

You misunderstood my comment - I meant for those (elderly, health problems small children), who have the 'OUTDOOR' muster stations.locations. If they could stand in the front instead of the back where there is no air circulation and where they are shoved tightly together as the lines are forming; then this would benefit them greatly. That 's what I meant... Yes, it would be nice if we all had our DRILLS inside where it is more comfortable, but it doesn't always happen. That's why I made this suggestion.

Edited by gammy3gks

• 3 years later...
My son has spd. Sensory processing disorder he is 2.5 should we contact the cruise line at check in. Or when the drill starts? Do we need to bring any paperwork showing his diagnosis?

Contact special needs now for any and all arrangements.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Our boys are 7 and 9 and it is still a nightmare (first cruise they where 18 months and 4 and we go regularly).

We have learnt (a) don't go as soon as you are called - be one of the last to arrive so you are there less and are at the front (b) take a device to amuse them © have a drink in your hand to get you through!

As a parent I taught my kids what do do and to deal with it. Did not need to ask for advice. The question is more about the parents not knowing how to handle kids.

That's unkind (and my youngest 'kid' is now 32!) :(

OP' date=' I don't believe *RDLER* was being rude....I think he raised a good point. You and spouse know your kids best and should have some ideas in mind on best to keep them calm. *TAPI* idea of snacks was a good idea as well.

The best place for the kids during the drill, is to be at the drill so they get use to it and are not afraid. Most drills are 15 to 30 minutes.

I have a unpopular opinion that everyone needs to fully put on their Life vests and buckle them up and wear them to the musters (Gee no more straps to trip over that way;)). The kids as well.

I strongly suggest, first thing to do in your cabin is to check that the life vests are there and that there are 2, of the correct size for the kids. If not just ask your steward for correct ones. Put them on each child, making a little game of it, fully ensuring you understand how to buckle them on. The last time we had the grandkids we had them wear the vests to the drill and they got a kick out of watching the demonstration and showing off they already had theirs.

Please listen to each drill announcement, every vessel is different and instructions are detailed for each vessel.

Have a great and safe cruise.

AKK[/quote']

Hey, Skipper, been a while since I've seen you posting.

I am in agreement with most of what you say, and am also of the minority in desiring all pax to put on the lifejacket, and go even further and would like to see them required to take them off and properly stow them before dismissal to respect the lifesaving equipment (and to prevent the dangling straps).

One thing I disagree with is that the vast majority of announcements made during the muster have absolutely nothing to do with the muster drill. While they may pertain to general ship safety (throwing cigarettes overboard) or environmental concerns (nothing overboard), there really isn't much info passed regarding the muster. Lots of that is done while folks are proceeding to station (elevators will be closed, etc). My philosophy on passenger muster is that passengers need to do three things: know where their muster station is and how to get there from any point on the ship (and that last is very important and vastly ignored), get their in a timely fashion, and shut up.

Now, while Mom and Dad can learn things from the announcements during muster, young kids most likely won't understand what is being said, so for small kids I wouldn't have any problem with them using noise cancelling headphones, or even headphones with music or a story to keep them occupied inbetween parental instructions. And I say this from the standpoint of someone who oversaw passenger drills.

The person you were responding to is snarky to the nth degree and rarely offers anything of value to a thread. Ignore him/her/it. It's how he/she/it rolls.

LOL!!!!! All I said was that the parent needs to be a parent, and after 5 years of hands on training, they should be able to handle their kids for 30 minutes for an extremely important part of the cruise. Serious? A question on how to keep your kids quite, for 30 minutes? I could give lots of ways, but they would all be snarky. The kids need to learn how to behave in situations of all kinds, and parents need to know how to handle those situations, while their kids are with them. The 5 year old, will be participating in drills in K5 soon. If they were in daycare, they may of also participated in drills.

LOL!!!!! All I said was that the parent needs to be a parent, and after 5 years of hands on training, they should be able to handle their kids for 30 minutes for an extremely important part of the cruise. Serious? A question on how to keep your kids quite, for 30 minutes? I could give lots of ways, but they would all be snarky. The kids need to learn how to behave in situations of all kinds, and parents need to know how to handle those situations, while their kids are with them. The 5 year old, will be participating in drills in K5 soon. If they were in daycare, they may of also participated in drills.

I don't know of many daycares that have muster drills. This is a unique situation where a child is being asked to stand in one place, surrounded by people several feet taller than they are, unable to hear what is going on. I really don't see any benefit having very small children attend, as not matter how well occupied they are, the parents cannot give undivided attention to the speakers.

Best advice: Find a kid loving grandpa (my DH) and stand in front of them. He may even end up holding said child. It has happened. LOL

I don't know of many daycares that have muster drills. This is a unique situation where a child is being asked to stand in one place, surrounded by people several feet taller than they are, unable to hear what is going on. I really don't see any benefit having very small children attend, as not matter how well occupied they are, the parents cannot give undivided attention to the speakers.

Best advice: Find a kid loving grandpa (my DH) and stand in front of them. He may even end up holding said child. It has happened. LOL

The day care my kids were at, had regular drills. Also, it is important to drill at home, as recommended. Of course a day care does not have a muster drill, but a fire drill yes.

Muster drills attendance and attentiveness for young kids will sadly prepare them for their school safety drills when they enter our learning institutions.

It was interesting to re-read some of the 3 yr old comments, including my own, from the original posting. At least muster has evolved in the last 3 years to a more humane and accountable system. JMO, YMMV.

Only the older ships still have muster out on the decks , The Dream ,The Magic and The Breeze muster is held inside , Lounges , MDR's and theater , You sit in the A/C

On the Fascination in April, our muster was in theater on Decks 8 and 9, and there were other muster stations all inside. After we finally got everyone to attend (about 30 - 40 minutes to get everyone) we were then sent up to Deck 10 outside to see where the actual life boat muster stations were. That took about 10 minutes to get everyone shuffled to the correct outside location. As it was San Juan, muster was after the sun had set. (Departure is like 10 PM or 11 PM)

Carnival staff sent us to the handicapped briefing until my daughter was 4 years old.

Those were the good old days... now it's safety briefings on deck in 110 degree heat with no breeze.

Terrible way to start the cruise, but at least we only have to do it once per cruise.

Depends on the ship. The last couple I experienced on the Dream were in the Encore! Main Lounge. On other ships it has been held in the Punchliner club. Haven't had an outdoor muster in years.

Depends on the ship. The last couple I experienced on the Dream were in the Encore! Main Lounge. On other ships it has been held in the Punchliner club. Haven't had an outdoor muster in years.

Last Nov on the Dream was OUT side.

Carnival staff sent us to the handicapped briefing until my daughter was 4 years old.

Those were the good old days... now it's safety briefings on deck in 110 degree heat with no breeze.

Terrible way to start the cruise, but at least we only have to do it once per cruise.

Only on the older ships Dream ,Magic ,Breeze ,Vista ,Horizon are all sitting down ,in the A/C

This upcoming cruise will be our first with our children (3 and 5). The one concern I have is getting my kids to stand during the 45 min long muster drill. Any other parents who have cruised with little ones have any recommendations?

no sarcasm from here. i was kinda curious about the muster as well. we're cruising with my son/wife with their two children. (our grands) almost 3 and almost 1. i would personally like to skip it, but for the safety of the wee ones will muster through it. all i can suggest is be one of the very last to arrive, thus won't have to wait as long. mabye bring a little bag of treats to award good behavior.

I have no problem with people who show up just under the wire. My problem is with the long list of names read aloud after muster was scheduled to begin.

I honestly believe the list of names should be preceded with the announcement, "Sail and Sign cards have been deactivated for the following guests. Report to Guest services to inquire about reactivating them. Doors are now closed for Muster."

People with special needs should make arrangements prior to boarding to attend special musters.

I realize there could well be laws dealing with setting sail when all passengers have not yet attended muster drill, and hope chengkp will chime in again.