getaway overboard

Cruising on the ncl getaway now . On our second night ( June 7th) at sea around 8:30pm a lady jumped overboard into the darken waters of the Atlantic . Due to the fantastic crew , she was rescued by the search boats that spotted the blinking light on the life vest that was thrown ( or she could of been wearing? Crew is very hush hush about the fine details.) either way she is one lucky lady to survive !! Btw , I'm having a great time as usual on my ncl cruise.

We also are on the Getaway . We were sitting window seat in the Savor and watched the speed boat go get her . She was one lucky lady ! I was impressed by the Capt letting us know he had a overboard and was turning the ship around . It was a quick recovery . Friends said they saw her get off the rescue boat and saw them help her walk . Not sure of her injuries but know she was taken by ambulance to St Thomas hospital . Hope she gets the help she needs . During q & Answers Someone asked all they said was it was the Capt first rescue . Less than 1 percent . She was very lucky !

I don't really understand this.

If she jumped surely it was a suicide attempt, so why would she want to be rescued?

Vvvvvv confusing

"Buyer's remose?" Jumps impulsively, or even after some thought, but upon hitting the water and NOT dying, she got scared and decided to live. Just speculation, but it happens all the time with other attempted suicides - people OD, slit their wrists, or attempt CO poisoning, and then call 911 because they regret their actions.

Thank goodness she was able to be rescued. Hope she gets the mental health treatment it sounds like she needs.

This story is remarkable. Whether she jumped with a vest or was thrown a vest. Its an amazing survival story. With a fast moving ship, even if a vest was thrown it would take quite a struggle to get to that vest (not to mention you have not been knocked out or disabled by the impact).

And this happened at night? Even another remarkable detail.

Edited by david_sobe

We were on the getaway as well, she was not wearing a life jacket as commented below. A passenger saw her jump and threw her the life preserver that had lites that lit up when it makes contact with the water. Considering how dark it was, she is truly lucky to have survived. From what we heard from the crew it was a suicide attempt, but that she immediately regretted the decision and clung to the life preserver until she was rescued. She was apparently having an argument with her fiancé and they had been arguing since boarding the ship. Thankfully the crew did an amazing job, and hopefully this woman is getting medical help she needs. No offense to this lady but I would have been pissed if this would have messed up my family vacation.

We just got back from this cruise today. Fortunately there was a staff member on the deck and saw her jump. They immediately threw a float and notified the bridge; not sure but was told that someone also tossed a lighted marker of some type with a beacon signal. Because of the quick notification they were able to capture the x-y coordinates which most likely enabled the successful recovery.

This was an amazing rescue by a very quick acting crew and there were 3 announcements made during the rescue to keep us all informed. It lasted 30 minutes or so including getting the ship turned around! There was a round of applause all over the ship when the success was announced. The captain told us in a Q&A next day that 99 out of 100 times these incidents do not end well.

This type of quick action proves that the ongoing crew drills really pay off. Kudos to NCL! Glad there was no national press since no cruise line needs this type of publicity since they caused none of it.

I was on the ship also and the crew definitely gets kudos for their quick response and rescue. The captain did such a good with maneuvering the boat that I didn't even feel the turns even though I knew what was going on.

It was amazing all the rumors that were going around about what happened.

Here's the link to the other Getaway post about the person overboard, the woman was supposingly intoxicated and fell/jump from deck 7 (that's below the Waterfront, same level as the life boats, typically with few folks in the area) - she really got lucky hitting the water from that height & didn't get knocked out by impacting the ocean water with the ship moving ...

There are some YT videos about cruise ship literally stopping on the dime & do amazing quick emergency turnaround for person overboard, while launching the small & fast speed boat to attempt to locate & rescue.

Give credits where it is well earned, deserved and due - to the Captain, the officers on bridge duty, those who signaled & started the rescue process for what would've been a tragic & sad ending.

This story is remarkable. Whether she jumped with a vest or was thrown a vest. Its an amazing survival story. With a fast moving ship, even if a vest was thrown it would take quite a struggle to get to that vest (not to mention you have not been knocked out or disabled by the impact).

Very true David, Remarkable and amazing! And I am just praying she realizing that, and decides to enjoy and cherish her life now. Everyone has issues they have to deal with, but doing or having something like this happen to you and you survive surely must send a signal that you are meant to be here to do something important.

Great job Getaway rescue crew!

Edited by pixiedustdawn

Here's the link to the other Getaway post about the person overboard, the woman was supposingly intoxicated and fell/jump from deck 7 (that's below the Waterfront, same level as the life boats, typically with few folks in the area) - she really got lucky hitting the water from that height & didn't get knocked out by impacting the ocean water with the ship moving ...

There are some YT videos about cruise ship literally stopping on the dime & do amazing quick emergency turnaround for person overboard, while launching the small & fast speed boat to attempt to locate & rescue.

Give credits where it is well earned, deserved and due - to the Captain, the officers on bridge duty, those who signaled & started the rescue process for what would've been a tragic & sad ending.

Do you have links?

I agree...a remarkable survival story...whatever the cause that led up to it.

I agree and kudos to the crew for a job well done..