Lobster

I had a really good one at a restaurant that's no longer there in Bar Harbor. It was just lump lobster meat and drawn butter, no mayo anywhere, which is good for me because I don't like mayo. Unfortunately, it's the only place IU've ever seen to do the lobster rolls with butter not mayo.

You had the choices at geddy's in bar harbor. It didn't help in my opinion. I'm glad a few others don't think that lobster rolls are that great. You'd think they were the best thing since sliced bread from what I've heard on here.

Count me in the group that loves Lobster. Must admit, though, that I have yet to have a Lobster Roll that "knocked my socks off".

PEI Mussels are hard to beat, I think. And, at this time of year, those soft shell crabs from Maryland are great!

a GOOD lobster roll is delish. If you are ever in Saint John, hit Lords' at the City Market. They do make a good lobster roll :)

WOW!! Our "go to" place for lobster is James Hook (a lobster wholesaler, retailer, and small cafe) in Boston where you get so-called Live Maine Lobster (not anything like those silly lobster tails). I just checked and they are still selling 1 1/2 pound whole lobsters (cooked to order) for about $20. One might suspect they will raise their prices a little due to the current market. But I guess in La Jolla they figure anyone eating there can afford to pay ridiculous prices :).

If we are ever in Boston we usually walk over to James Hook (its about a mile from the cruise port) for lunch. When the weather is good you can have your amazing lobster at a picnic table in their "classy" parking lot. Their lobster roll is also among the best anywhere on earth.

For crusiers going out of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) who love real whole Maine Lobster, you can get it at close to New England prices at Kelly's Landing. This restaurant (which features New England cusine) is near the 17th Street hotels.

Hank

Love Kelly's Landing!

As in a previous writing I had my first lobster roll which there was more roll and sauce than lobster. Wanted Main Lobster, but they were out!

Will be back again next month so I hope to have it then!

Now we will be back in Paris and will have their blue whole lobster which is so good! And it will be for a special occasion at Le Dome! Was $89.00 euros. Couple of months ago!

Your right my home town in La Jolla is expensive when it comes to dining there!

But people do pay those high prices.

Not me!

Wish we had good lobster like you guys on the east coast!

Denise:)

I was raised on the west coast...so as a child had dungarees crab...and small bay shrimp in San Francisco...as a teenager we used to camp in Baja California with grandparents and can remember cooking the spiny lobsters on the beach in a huge pot over an open fire...they were good:)

But then I moved back east and now love NC Shrimp...oysters from the Chesapeake bay..and of course Maine lobster...don't get that much but always go out for it when I visit my mother's family near Boston...a few years back restaurants up there would advertise 2 lobsters for 20 some dollars...but think those were the smaller ones called "shedders"...not sure...but I do know I'm loving this thread....except it makes me hungry :):):)

Have also eaten at Kelly's landing several times in FLL....last time had lobster...it was great!!

...but think those were the smaller ones called "shedders"...

Shedders ("sheddaz") aren't a specific size. They are lobsters that have just shed their shells (aka soft shell lobsters). The new shell underneath is very soft, and allows the lobster to grow until the shell hardens. The flesh is softer, too, and some people prefer it because it's sweeter. In the autumn, the shells harden and the flesh becomes firmer. Some people prefer that.

Shedder season in the Gulf of Maine usually starts in early summer. Later after a cold winter and earlier if the water warms up earlier; usually when the water reaches about 10 degrees Celsius. When they shed, the lobsters also migrate to shallower water near shore, so they are easier to catch, and usually the price drops. A late shedder season (like this year) can lead to higher lobster prices.

Now I'm hungry.

Shedders ("sheddaz") aren't a specific size. They are lobsters that have just shed their shells (aka soft shell lobsters). The new shell underneath is very soft, and allows the lobster to grow until the shell hardens. The flesh is softer, too, and some people prefer it because it's sweeter. In the autumn, the shells harden and the flesh becomes firmer. Some people prefer that.

Shedder season in the Gulf of Maine usually starts in early summer. Later after a cold winter and earlier if the water warms up earlier; usually when the water reaches about 10 degrees Celsius. When they shed, the lobsters also migrate to shallower water near shore, so they are easier to catch, and usually the price drops. A late shedder season (like this year) can lead to higher lobster prices.

Now I'm hungry.

thanks for the info! I will take lobster anyway I can get it....the past two Christmases The Fresh Market a speciality food store in the south lets you pre order Maine lobster...not cheap...but we have splurged and the whole family has had lobster for Christmas Eve dinner...what makes it even better is that oldest son cooks them in a big pot out in the garage so I don't have to deal with putting the poor lobster in the pot:D

Quick note to navybankerteacher... Yes, the opening of the video is at the top of Cadillac Mt. We go up to a wonderful place every yr. near Bar Harbor to do our lobsters. Grew up in NE, then moved to midwest, no lobsters here that are barely moving by the time they're trucked or flown cross country.. We do all meals with clams, lobsters & mussels.. For one week a year, life is GOOD!

Here's a quick link to the YouTube

The lobster going to sleep is around 2:10

Now I'm hungry.

Great explanation. Thank you.

Now I'm hungry.

I think maybe he was confusing this with "chix" lobsters, 1lb to 1-1/4lb.

For those who don't know, soft shells have a larger shell to allow the body to grow into it, so there will be a lot more water inside the shell than a hard shell.

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Can't resist this story. I was a cook in the NAVY stationed in Argentia, Nfld. in 1963/64. During lobster season we had LOBSTERS which weighed

between 10 and 13 #'s each in the Commissary store and from local fishermen

When the Officer's wives had parties the liked to have lobster so they could write home about it. That was fine till it was time to cook them. The average kitchen isn't equipped for that event. I was the cook at the small hospital galley on base and had a 40 gal steam kettle. The parties were in the evening well after closing time and clean up time in my galley. I would get a phone call a day about 6pm from a desperate hostess wanting to PAY me to cook her lobsters for them. BEING A LAW ABIDING SAILOR, i WAS'NT ALLOWED TO ACCEPT $$$$ for that task BUT I did work out a deal where 1 of the larger critters would get left behind when they were picked

up. I would melt a #of butter and feast on my huge lobster.

Those lobsters were less than a dollar a # in those days. The ones that large are very rare these days A Maine lobster is about 1 1/2#s today

We all miss the gool old days

AHOY SHIPMATES,

Can't resist this story. I was a cook in the NAVY stationed in Argentia, Nfld. in 1963/64. During lobster season we had LOBSTERS which weighed

between 10 and 13 #'s each in the Commissary store and from local fishermen

When the Officer's wives had parties the liked to have lobster so they could write home about it. That was fine till it was time to cook them. The average kitchen isn't equipped for that event. I was the cook at the small hospital galley on base and had a 40 gal steam kettle. The parties were in the evening well after closing time and clean up time in my galley. I would get a phone call a day about 6pm from a desperate hostess wanting to PAY me to cook her lobsters for them. BEING A LAW ABIDING SAILOR, i WAS'NT ALLOWED TO ACCEPT $$$$ for that task BUT I did work out a deal where 1 of the larger critters would get left behind when they were picked

up. I would melt a #of butter and feast on my huge lobster.

Those lobsters were less than a dollar a # in those days. The ones that large are very rare these days A Maine lobster is about 1 1/2#s today

We all miss the gool old days

Back in the good old days,

lobsters were considered the trash of the seas and eaten by the Newfoundlanders and the fisherman in northen N.B. They were considered garbage and the trash of the seas.

They were eaten on a regular basis for free as no one wanted them.

Just goes to show they were smart long before we were.

lobsters were considered the trash of the seas and eaten by the Newfoundlanders and the fisherman in northen N.B. They were considered garbage and the trash of the seas.

They were honest to goodness prison food. From the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/news/a-taste-of-lobster-history

I don't know how many of you remember the lobster scenes from the movie "Mystic Pizza," but it's exactly like that. :)

And Massachussetts indentured servants struck because they refused to be fed lobster more than 3 times a week. In Maine, they were regular prison food.

Then again, you could work the coastal shallows on foot and catch lobster back then.

Edited by chengkp75

They were honest to goodness prison food. From the History Channel.

http://www.history.com/news/a-taste-of-lobster-history

I don't know how many of you remember the lobster scenes from the movie "Mystic Pizza," but it's exactly like that. :)

Can you believe hal was showing that movie on the Veendam in May? Talk about a blast from the past. I missed the lobster scene.

And Massachussetts indentured servants struck because they refused to be fed lobster more than 3 times a week. In Maine, they were regular prison food.

Then again, you could work the coastal shallows on foot and catch lobster back then.

The lobsters would actually wash up on shore. There are paintings and drawings in the archives of the York County, Maine historical society showing people along the shore with baskets, "picking" lobster. I'm not sure exactly how that worked, because the heavy duty rubber bands for the lobster claws hadn't been invented yet.

The lobsters would actually wash up on shore. There are paintings and drawings in the archives of the York County, Maine historical society showing people along the shore with baskets, "picking" lobster. I'm not sure exactly how that worked, because the heavy duty rubber bands for the lobster claws hadn't been invented yet.

I still get the occasional lobster with wood pegs from old school lobstermen. They make convenient toothpicks afterwards.

:) I still get a wooden pegged lobster now and then and it makes me smile. :)

I remember as a kid growing up on the North Shore of Boston and we would toss mussels from the rocks across the rocks. It never occurred to us how fresh and delicious they would be to steam. We were too used to steamed clams. :o Sure wish those rocks still had all those mussels there for the taking.

Edited by sail7seas

Out here in the Pacific Northwest, the geoduck (pronounced gooey-duck) was a clam that we used to go out and find as kids (although you do have to dig for them) for clam chowder. One good nice-sized one will make a whole pot, but back then, they were largely considered trash, something only us po' locals would eat. Nowadays, they are a delicacy, especially in Asia (something to do with the long siphon having um... 'phallic' connotations), the price is way up, and harvesting is a lot more tightly controlled.

Spiney lobster season here in Florida starts later next month with mini lobster season. It used to cost just as much to don a wetsuit, take a tickle stick, a catch bag and schlepp a tank to a boat to go out to catch our own but anymore, it's cheaper just to buy a tail at the store. The fun was in the hunt but the meal afterwards was almost an afterthought. Too much work. Needless to say, the price of lobster in restaurants here is outrageous.

By the way Zerbot, when I lived in Seattle, we used to go out to the Olympic Peninsula for geoduck. My mother always laughed when she saw them....she thought there must be a 'distressed diver' out there somewhere, if you get my meaning.

Edited by Diver2014

We discovered a local fish supplier recently who brings in lobsters from the NE. His price was $9/lb which we thought was great for fresh lobsters. Bought 4 of them (1-1/2 lbs/ea) for $53 and wallowed in the deliciousness!! He says they'll be $8.50 next week!! Hope the price continues to go down.:D Previously, we had to travel 70 miles r/t to buy them. This is a 10 minute ride, much better! You'd pay at least $30 for a 1-1/4 lb in a restaurant.

Spiney lobster season here in Florida starts later next month with mini lobster season. It used to cost just as much to don a wetsuit, take a tickle stick, a catch bag and schlepp a tank to a boat to go out to catch our own but anymore, it's cheaper just to buy a tail at the store. The fun was in the hunt but the meal afterwards was almost an afterthought. Too much work. Needless to say, the price of lobster in restaurants here is outrageous.

By the way Zerbot, when I lived in Seattle, we used to go out to the Olympic Peninsula for geoduck. My mother always laughed when she saw them....she thought there must be a 'distressed diver' out there somewhere, if you get my meaning.

Spiney lobsters are quite different than hard shell Maine/Canada lobsters. :)