Lobster

I just called the restaurant I go to on the Jersey shore. They have pound and a half lobster(which is the smallest I would consider getting) for $39. I'm going tomorrow.Along with clams on the half shell, that will satisfy me for this week.:):):)

Wow, I can see why folks are thinking lobster prices are way high, and I'm going, "huh?". At the Ancient Mariner pound in Westbrook (the son runs the boat and the dad does the store), price this week is $5.99/lb. So a pound and a half bug is $9. And the price will drop over the summer. We'll do a couple clam bakes each summer, and also get some for rolls every few weeks.

And since everyone is chiming in with lobster recipes that are a little unusual, my vote goes to Bull Feeney's (Portland, ME) deep fried lobster.

What are you all doing? If you saw a roach climb out of reeking trash can would your first thought be to 'I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT THAT!!!'?

Prolly not, so why are you eating lobster, crabs, shrimp and such? Different biosphere but an animal from the same niche.

Do you eat pork?

Too much - too blended!

Lobster belongs on its own and pizza (actually apizza) on its own -- real, traditional, New Haven style - with crisp paper-thin crust - ideally coal-fired --- and no cheese (at all!): just fresh crushed tomatoes, topped with spinach and bacon.

With all due respect - you need to try it before you dismiss it. It's really, really good. I would never lead you astray in the matters of food. :)

Wow, I can see why folks are thinking lobster prices are way high, and I'm going, "huh?". At the Ancient Mariner pound in Westbrook (the son runs the boat and the dad does the store), price this week is $5.99/lb. So a pound and a half bug is $9. And the price will drop over the summer. We'll do a couple clam bakes each summer, and also get some for rolls every few weeks.

And since everyone is chiming in with lobster recipes that are a little unusual, my vote goes to Bull Feeney's (Portland, ME) deep fried lobster.

I also can get one pound lobsters for about $6.99 or a bit more but when you move up to a two pound lobster, the price per pound goes up considerably. A three pound lobster would never be sold for $6.99 a pound. :eek:

Bull Feeny's fried lobster is excellent. There's a place called Cafe Zelda in Newport, RI that has a chicken fried lobster that is simply unbelievable. If you are in Newport, you owe yourself to try this dish. It's a little café off of Thames, but it's outstanding.

I hope you're all happy now. We're sitting here in Fort Lauderdale and having chicken tonight.

I also can get one pound lobsters for about $6.99 or a bit more but when you move up to a two pound lobster, the price per pound goes up considerably. A three pound lobster would never be sold for $6.99 a pound. :eek:

For sure, but then again, its hard to find a 3 lb lobster for sale, since Maine has a maximum keeper size as well, so not too many of the big boys are sold. That price is for 1-1/2 lb. Chix (1lb) are less.

I wasn't aware you have a maximum weight limit on lobsters. We don't see a great many three pound (or larger) but when I've wanted them I call a few days ahead and can usually get them.

Truthfully, it's only been a few times we wanted them.

Enjoy your lobster. :) 'tis the season.

I wasn't aware you have a maximum weight limit on lobsters.

It's not actually a weight limit per se; the lobster size limits are specified by the length of the carapace. In Maine, legal sizes are from 3.25" to 5.00" of carapace length, at least as of last year (the limits do change from time to time).

As for me, I prefer the meat from small to medium hard-shell lobsters. The big ones can have less flavor, and I just don't like the texture of the soft-shell lobsters ("shedders") of summer.

The lobster roll is the one thing that makes people go, "What? That's it???"

Yep. It's lobster. On a roll. And a "funny roll" if you're not from New England.

IMO, the best ones are made with fresh, not previously frozen lobster meat. You want tail, knuckle, and claw meat. A brioche New England style roll is a plus. A toasted roll is a must. Simply dressed lobster with a little mayo or drawn butter is all you need. Skip the chopped celery and other filler.

The lobster pizza, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. I can pretty much guarantee you we'll have at least 3 during our 5 days in Maine. (They're not really big... And we share.)

Oprah-Winfreys-Favorite-Things.jpg

That's the lobster pot pie in the background. It was featured on the Food Network's "Best Thing I Ever Ate. '

Wow, looks amazing!!! Where was this beauty served??

Too much - too blended!

Lobster belongs on its own and pizza (actually apizza) on its own -- real, traditional, New Haven style - with crisp paper-thin crust - ideally coal-fired --- and no cheese (at all!): just fresh crushed tomatoes, topped with spinach and bacon.

the way the original Napolitano Pizza was made in Coney Island Brooklyn where I grew up in the 50's... at Totonno's Pizza Neptune Ave and W 15th st.. same as in downtown Naples ( Italia that is) .. simply made but the best.. not the 'junk greasy slice-pizza' most Pizza places sell

gotta have slices of 'mutzerella' on it... Margarita Pizza

like this from Il Pomordorino in downtown Naples a couple of streets up from the Cruise Terminal

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/MaasdamCruiseEurope42DaysOct25/Naples-Italy-Nov-16/i-wwznLNN/0/L/IMG_0348_tn-L.jpg

Edited by Stakeout

the way the original Napolitano Pizza was made in Coney Island Brooklyn where I grew up in the 50's... at Totonno's Pizza Neptune Ave and W 15th st.. same as in downtown Naples ( Italia that is) .. simply made but the best.. not the 'junk greasy slice-pizza' most Pizza places sell

gotta have slices of 'mutzerella' on it... Margarita Pizza

like this from Il Pomordorina in downtown Naples a couple of street up from the Cruise Terminal

http://stakeout.smugmug.com/MaasdamCruiseEurope42DaysOct25/Naples-Italy-Nov-16/i-wwznLNN/0/L/IMG_0348_tn-L.jpg

Goodness, I must be hungry because these pics all look sooooo good! I will be in Naples is Sept, can't wait to eat pizza!!!

For sure, but then again, its hard to find a 3 lb lobster for sale, since Maine has a maximum keeper size as well, so not too many of the big boys are sold. That price is for 1-1/2 lb. Chix (1lb) are less.

The big lobsters come from Canada.

Just went to dinner at our our favorite place in La Jolla called Eddie V's!

Hold on to this!

Cold water lobster whole market price $109.00!

When we were in Paris last month on buisness we ate at Le Dome where their whole Blue lobsters market price was $89.00 euros.

Denise:)

WOW!! Our "go to" place for lobster is James Hook (a lobster wholesaler, retailer, and small cafe) in Boston where you get so-called Live Maine Lobster (not anything like those silly lobster tails). I just checked and they are still selling 1 1/2 pound whole lobsters (cooked to order) for about $20. One might suspect they will raise their prices a little due to the current market. But I guess in La Jolla they figure anyone eating there can afford to pay ridiculous prices :).

If we are ever in Boston we usually walk over to James Hook (its about a mile from the cruise port) for lunch. When the weather is good you can have your amazing lobster at a picnic table in their "classy" parking lot. Their lobster roll is also among the best anywhere on earth.

For crusiers going out of Port Everglades (Ft Lauderdale) who love real whole Maine Lobster, you can get it at close to New England prices at Kelly's Landing. This restaurant (which features New England cusine) is near the 17th Street hotels.

Hank

Edited by Hlitner

Our go-to here is Dungeness Crab. On sale it gets down to $2.99 or $3.99 a pound. Our little town (about 500 people) is also famous for WONDERFUL oysters. Have seen them all over the country. If at Chicago Oyster House look for Quilcene or Discovery Bay oysters.

No Lobster out here, but plenty of seafood on the Olympic Peninsula.

The crabs are good but being an East Coaster my tastes are more 'trained' to hard shell lobsters. :)

I really like your halibut. :)

Edited by sail7seas

Count me in the group that loves Lobster. Must admit, though, that I have yet to have a Lobster Roll that "knocked my socks off".

PEI Mussels are hard to beat, I think. And, at this time of year, those soft shell crabs from Maryland are great!

Count me in the group that loves Lobster. Must admit, though, that I have yet to have a Lobster Roll that "knocked my socks off".

PEI Mussels are hard to beat, I think. And, at this time of year, those soft shell crabs from Maryland are great!

I had a really good one at a restaurant that's no longer there in Bar Harbor. It was just lump lobster meat and drawn butter, no mayo anywhere, which is good for me because I don't like mayo. Unfortunately, it's the only place IU've ever seen to do the lobster rolls with butter not mayo.

I had a really good one at a restaurant that's no longer there in Bar Harbor. It was just lump lobster meat and drawn butter, no mayo anywhere, which is good for me because I don't like mayo. Unfortunately, it's the only place IU've ever seen to do the lobster rolls with butter not mayo.

We're probably spoiled, but most of the restaurants by us that used freshly cooked lobster meat offered a choice of how it was dressed. While many St lobster rolls use mayonnaise, melted butter isn't that rare.