Lobster

How big a lobster? That isn't per pound is it?

Hi Sails,

Yup! That was for a 1pound lobster at my restraunt Eddie V's. And at Le Dome that was for a 1 pound too!

Pricey!

Denise:)

Wow.... that is very high priced. I usually buy two pound male lobsters for about $40 each, that being $20/pound.

I have lobster rolls sometimes on our Canada/NE cruises but prefer to eat the whole steamed lobster. I don't like to hide the taste of the lobster with either butter or mayonnaise. Everyone rushes to get lobster rolls and I think they are missing out by eating that. The whole lobster is so much better.... it does take a bit of work to eat it and get all the meat. :) I've become quite expert.

What are you all doing? If you saw a roach climb out of reeking trash can would your first thought be to 'I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT THAT!!!'?

Prolly not, so why are you eating lobster, crabs, shrimp and such? Different biosphere but an animal from the same niche.

That concept is so far beyond a stretch I'm not sure what to call it. :D Let's start with roach is an insect. :eek:

We eat lobster, shrimp, clams, oysters, scallops because we like them. Some folks wonder why people eat steaks. :D

Edited by sail7seas

What are you all doing? If you saw a roach climb out of reeking trash can would your first thought be to 'I CAN'T WAIT TO EAT THAT!!!'?

Prolly not, so why are you eating lobster, crabs, shrimp and such? Different biosphere but an animal from the same niche.

That's the way I feel about escargot, and yes I've tried it before. Digusting. If people like it so be it.

Wow.... that is very high priced. I usually buy two pound male lobsters for about $40 each, that being $20/pound.

I have lobster rolls sometimes on our Canada/NE cruises but prefer to eat the whole steamed lobster. I don't like to hide the taste of the lobster with either butter or mayonnaise. Everyone rushes to get lobster rolls and I think they are missing out by eating that. The whole lobster is so much better.... it does take a bit of work to eat it and get all the meat. :) I've become quite expert.

I had my first Lobster roll at Kelly's Landing in Fort Lauderdale in March, and like you I prefer steamed lobster. It was good but, maybe I had too many glasses of wine! I remember a whole lot of sourdough, and sauce. I really could not taste Lobster!

Have a great day Sails!

We eat lobster, shrimp, clams, oysters, scallops because we like them. Some folks wonder why people eat steaks. :D

Steak?!? From a cow?!?! That's... a mammal! You wouldn't eat a person would you, you cannibal! Why are you eating cow!?!? ;)

?.. We have a trip planned for this summer and DW already has her lobster eating all planned out.

Lobster white pizza with truffle oil drizzle & lobster pot pie at the Kennebunk Inn. Lobster roll at Stripers in Kennebunkport. Regular old lobster at the Ogunquit Lobster Pound. Lobster club sandwich at the Arundel Wharf in Kennebunkport, and finally the lobster over homemade fettuccine with coral cognac butter sauce at the White Barn Inn.

That will hold her for a while. ;)

If not, stop in at Jordan Pond House in Acadia for a slice of Lobster Quiche. Pretty decadent, and popovers too.

Ahh, Geddy's. The Bar Harbor Webcam is attached to the front of their building. :)

I had fried clams there once as they have clams with bellies. No real New Englander would eat just the strips. :D

hmmm.. the way this thread is going looks like 'they' are 'coming out of the woodwork'..

if you don't like something... go to another thread.. pretty simple ... same as you do for a TV show--switch the channel.. then again maybe you don't like TV or using electric sources to contaminate the environment.. it's a jungle out there! :) :) :)

Ahh, Geddy's. The Bar Harbor Webcam is attached to the front of their building. :)

I had fried clams there once as they have clams with bellies. No real New Englander would eat just the strips. :D

had lunch there our last couple of times in Bar Harbor.. super nice folks ..casual place..good food

How big a lobster? That isn't per pound is it?

Hi Sails,

Yup! That was for a 1pound lobster at my restraunt Eddie V's. And at Le Dome that was for a 1 pound too!

Pricey!

That's crazy. A one pound lobster (aka "Ain't no way we're not eating something that tiny") only yields about 4 oz of meat. If I had to guess, the folks here who are from Maine Lobster Country won't even order a lobster that's less than 1.5 pounds and are more comfortable with 2 to 2.5 pounders.

Question for Canada - Do you size your lobsters in pounds or kilograms?

This thread is making me hungry. I will have to get my lobster fix in the next few days. I love lobster, clams, scallops, oysters and escargot and won't think much about eating them. I also eat meat.

I only eat lobster rolls when the whole lobster isn't available.

We've cooked them at home, but hate hearing them scratch the pot when you put them in. I'd rather the place steam it for me.

On our b2b Canada/ New England trip, I had lobster in every port.Yum.

Edited by mamaofami

If not, stop in at Jordan Pond House in Acadia for a slice of Lobster Quiche. Pretty decadent, and popovers too.

Jordan Pond is all about the pop overs for us. However, we're going to be about 4.5 hours south of Bar Harbor & Acadia. Don't worry about us. We lived in Maine a fairly long time. We won't be short on lobster eating opportunities.

I'm going to give up on lobster rolls. I like lobster but I don't find the rolls that great. I went to a place in May in bar harbor that someone recommended on cc. The lobster roll was $26 and not exactly big. That's about $33 canadian and no way was it worth it. Would love to taste the lobster pizza that POA talked about. That sounds yummy. I've tasted lobster rolls in many ports and I haven't been impressed with any of them.

The lobster roll is the one thing that makes people go, "What? That's it???"

Yep. It's lobster. On a roll. And a "funny roll" if you're not from New England.

IMO, the best ones are made with fresh, not previously frozen lobster meat. You want tail, knuckle, and claw meat. A brioche New England style roll is a plus. A toasted roll is a must. Simply dressed lobster with a little mayo or drawn butter is all you need. Skip the chopped celery and other filler.

The lobster pizza, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. I can pretty much guarantee you we'll have at least 3 during our 5 days in Maine. (They're not really big... And we share.)

Oprah-Winfreys-Favorite-Things.jpg

That's the lobster pot pie in the background. It was featured on the Food Network's "Best Thing I Ever Ate. '

Edited by POA1

On our May cruise, the Maasdam served FREE lobster rolls one day (mid afternoon) in the Crows Nest! As you might guess, they were mostly filler and not very good.......I guess you only get what you pay for.

My lobster pound was selling two pound lobsters last summer the lowest I'd seen for some time. The prices are definitely higher this year but they predict as the water warms the prices will drop some. Where I buy lobsters, the boats come in daily with fresh supply. They are not held long in the tanks..... lobster country. :)

The phrase "My lobster pound" made me smile. We really miss having a local lobster pound. :(

Lobster, caught fresh from the ocean and "roach... out of a reeking trash can" don't quite ring the same to me. When I eat organic produce, I don't think, "Yay! My corn was grown in poop. I can hardly wait to digest it so that I can complete the Circle of Life!"

(Cue Elton John song from the Lion King.)

Lobster, caught fresh from the ocean and "roach... out of a reeking trash can" don't quite ring the same to me. When I eat organic produce, I don't think, "Yay! My corn was grown in poop. I can hardly wait to digest it so that I can complete the Circle of Life!"

(Cue Elton John song from the Lion King.)

POA1,

LOL!!!

I knew you would chime in soon to that comment.:)

You made my day!

The lobster roll is the one thing that makes people go, "What? That's it???"

Yep. It's lobster. On a roll. And a "funny roll" if you're not from New England.

IMO, the best ones are made with fresh, not previously frozen lobster meat. You want tail, knuckle, and claw meat. A brioche New England style roll is a plus. A toasted roll is a must. Simply dressed lobster with a little mayo or drawn butter is all you need. Skip the chopped celery and other filler.

The lobster pizza, on the other hand, is a thing of beauty. I can pretty much guarantee you we'll have at least 3 during our 5 days in Maine. (They're not really big... And we share.)

Oprah-Winfreys-Favorite-Things.jpg

That's the lobster pot pie in the background. It was featured on the Food Network's "Best Thing I Ever Ate. '

POA1 Do you know if there is a place in Bar Harbor to get the lobster pizza?

No, I'm sorry I don't.

You can find lobster pizza quite a few places in Maine, but they are all unique. For the most part, the white pizzas are best, but we've had some good red lobster Fra Diavlo pies as well. If you can find a local person, ask them what they would recommend to friends from out of town. That seems to work for us.

Too much - too blended!

Lobster belongs on its own and pizza (actually apizza) on its own -- real, traditional, New Haven style - with crisp paper-thin crust - ideally coal-fired --- and no cheese (at all!): just fresh crushed tomatoes, topped with spinach and bacon.

I just called the restaurant I go to on the Jersey shore. They have pound and a half lobster(which is the smallest I would consider getting) for $39. I'm going tomorrow.Along with clams on the half shell, that will satisfy me for this week.:):):)