Why does RCL sell Beverage Packages?

Serious question. Be it Alcohol or Soda packages, why?

I don't think I'd drink any less without one. With one, I might order more just to experience or taste something that I normally wouldn't order.

I'm one to believe that while RCL doesn't endorse sharing of alcohol packages, I think they do expect it to occur at a certain level. If they didn't, then why did they back off the ruling of when one buys the pkg, everybody in the cabin must buy one? I also expect eventually that we'll see a 2 for 1 package being offered. The last cruise I booked was on the BOGO50 sale. I'm able to buy one premium pkg and the 2nd pkg is 50% off.

RCL has it figured out folks. They're not losing money.

Edited by Goodtime Cruizin

I think it just allows people to budget and enjoy their cruise without worrying about what they are spending, which in turn means people come back because they don't get surprised with a massive bar bill. There's only so much they can charge you once you're on board before you don't come back. Plus, there is no way anyone can drink enough fountain soda to make up the cost of the package and there are always people who don't drink enough alcohol to get their money's worth so they are still making money regardless.

Both alcohol and soda have a huge markup aboard the ship. Even though people may break even or come out ahead I doubt that anyone drinks enough to where RCI actually looses money. By getting people to buy a package RCI is guaranteed a certain amount of money being generated by the passenger. By not selling a package and having people pay as they go RCI is taking a gamble on the amount of money that will be generated. And that amount could very well be Zero.

I don't think I'd drink any less without one. With one, I might order more just to experience or taste something that I normally wouldn't order.

I'm one to believe that while RCL doesn't endorse sharing of alcohol packages, I think they do expect it to occur at a certain level. If they didn't, then why did they back off the ruling of when one buys the pkg, everybody in the cabin must buy one? I also expect eventually that we'll see a 2 for 1 package being offered. The last cruise I booked was on the BOGO50 sale. I'm able to buy one premium pkg and the 2nd pkg is 50% off.

I got that BOGO50 deal too and I can honestly say, I would never had purchased at the regular price. I am now telling my DH that his cruise is "all inclusive" which makes him happy too. (lol little does he know) ;)

Edited by ccletzgo

Both alcohol and soda have a huge markup aboard the ship. Even though people may break even or come out ahead I doubt that anyone drinks enough to where RCI actually looses money.

Trying to resist ... please ... ARGHHHHHH!!!

Ok, pet peeve out of the way.

Agree. For the most part people cannot drink the package price in wholesale alcohol/beer for 7 days in a row.

Higher revenue from packages I expect

I agree and that's kind of my point. They've figured out that even with 'sharing', they're cleaning up. Something tells me that they have their drinks down to a science. How much of what kind, what type of cruise, what type of ship etc. It would be very easy to analyze.

So this brings me to the next question.

How often have you seen anyone kicked off the ship and/or the beverage package revoked for sharing?

Me... three RCL cruises and nada, zip, & nobody. I think the bartenders do an excellent job but I also think they see it occuring at times & turn their heads unless it's just blatantly obscene and out of control. Which I repeat I've never witnessed nor heard of.

I agree and that's kind of my point. They've figured out that even with 'sharing', they're cleaning up.

Oh I don't think they want ANY sharing going on. In my opinion they are not saying "Well we're going to lose this much to sharing and that is OK as it is still profitable".

In an ideal world they wouldn't have to worry about cheating. But as George Carlin said:

If honesty were suddenly introduced into American life, the whole system would collapse!

Edited by NightOne

I'm one to believe that while RCL doesn't endorse sharing of alcohol packages, I think they do expect it to occur at a certain level. If they didn't, then why did they back off the ruling of when one buys the pkg, everybody in the cabin must buy one?

Of course they expect a certain amount of sharing to occur, just as a retail store expects a certain amount of shoplifting to occur. But, I think the reason they backed off the rule of every adult in a cabin must buy one is that they were missing out on a lot of potential sales, because there are a lot of couples for which the package is worth buying for one, but not the other. So, it's probably easier for them to sell more packages without that restriction.

How often have you seen anyone kicked off the ship and/or the beverage package revoked for sharing?

Me... three RCL cruises and nada, zip, & nobody. I think the bartenders do an excellent job but I also think they see it occuring at times & turn their heads unless it's just blatantly obscene and out of control. Which I repeat I've never witnessed nor heard of.

Doubt they would kick anyone off the ship for that, but revoking the package is a different story. I don't think they'd hesitate too much to do that. But I'm not sure why you would expect to "see" that on cruises, even if it's happening. I've seen it reported a few times here, but it's not like they will make a public announcement that "Mr. Goodtime Cruizin for Cabin 8914 has just lost his unlimited drink package for sharing."

For every instance reported here of someone seeing this happen, there's no telling how many other times it's happened without being witness by a Cruise Critic poster.

Edited by Paul65

Doubt they would kick anyone off the ship for that, but revoking the package is a different story. I don't think they'd hesitate too much to do that. But I'm not sure why you would expect to "see" that on cruises, even if it's happening. I've seen it reported a few times here, but it's not like they will make a public announcement that "Mr. Goodtime Cruizin for Cabin 8914 has just lost his unlimited drink package for sharing."

Well not having an announcement is a given. But cruise ships are not as large as we all tend to think at times. Especially when one hangs around the pool and the bars. It's crowded. My point is, word travels. I have no knowledge hence the question. Keep in mind, I worded the question as witnessed or heard of. There are a tremendous amount of people on each of the RCL ships today & every day. Unlike you, I've never even heard of someone having their seapass revoked for sharing even on these threads.

There have been a handful of such accounts on recent threads here.

I must have missed them. I'm beginning to think that sharing, while is looked down on these threads, is not that big of an issue in real life and RCL turns their head to some degree. In otherwords, there's not an enforcer. :cool:

My coworker wasn't kicked off but she and her husband were shut off for the night when the bartender saw her husband (with package) order a drink, then give it to her (no package). This was on FOS two weeks ago.

Edited by 1ParticularHbr
clarity

I won't pay 10 bucks for a beer or a cocktail, so if I don't get a package, I'm not drinking.

My coworker wasn't kicked off but she and her husband were shut off for the night when the bartender saw her husband (with package) order a drink, then give it to her (no package). This was on FOS two weeks ago.

Well there you go, there's one! Thanks for sharing.

Upfront profit....that's the reason....the booze costs them nothing...soda costs even less! They do it, because they can, and because you will PAY it!

Of course I'll pay it! Are you saying there is something wrong with paying for it? For me it makes sense, especially now that the prices has increased.

I vowed to stop smuggling when they created an AI option and I am proud to say my rum runners are not on my packing list. I love that I could budget up front and get to try new options.

Why do they do it? They make money. If you take me, even if I didn't smuggle, I would probably pay only 200 in drinks and drink a lot less. This way they get to have their high margins on a larger price tag. Win win :)

I agree and that's kind of my point. They've figured out that even with 'sharing', they're cleaning up. Something tells me that they have their drinks down to a science. How much of what kind, what type of cruise, what type of ship etc. It would be very easy to analyze.

Well not having an announcement is a given. But cruise ships are not as large as we all tend to think at times. Especially when one hangs around the pool and the bars. It's crowded. My point is, word travels. I have no knowledge hence the question. Keep in mind, I worded the question as witnessed or heard of. There are a tremendous amount of people on each of the RCL ships today & every day. Unlike you, I've never even heard of someone having their seapass revoked for sharing even on these threads.

I've only witnessed it once, and just posted about it yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46786576&postcount=86

I've only witnessed it once, and just posted about it yesterday:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=46786576&postcount=86

Thanks for posting this. I think it'd be foolish to sit a one bar rotating drinks between two different people all on one sea pass . Especially in a repeated fashion. Your description shows out right abuse, as such, a bartender would easily catch on. And then she fussed it up and made a scene. :eek:

They sell them b/c pax will buy them. I think the biggest advantage for the pax is not worrying much about cost after the purchase.

Say someone did a big analysis of their drinking habits and saved $10 on some days and 'lost' 5 on some other days and decide it wasn't really worth it to them.

The pax that goes ahead and orders the drink package remembers good times and experimenting with different drinks, even though guesses maybe didn't save much or any money by getting it. They never worried about what drink may cost or the value, only if it was a "good" idea given early excursion the next day.

The pax that decided it was too close, may not be worth it, and doesn't get the drink package, logically deciding to pay as go, has to look at every drink as "is this little thing worth 12-14?". (A voice says don't worry, on vacation, but another voice says 'it's too much, don't need it'.) Money aside, I think that's a buzz kill, just fun feeling like you are getting ripped off.

Drink packages change the view of a $12 drink to "ugh, really" to "man, getting my money's worth, yeah me!"

I think RCCL sells packages because it increases customer satisfaction to moderate to heavy drinkers and they weren't making that much off of non/light drinkers to worry about.

They just have to be careful to have enough staff b/c could tip the other way where, b/c of lack of service, pax wish they never started packages or really get impatient and decide to smuggle. Waiting a long time for the opportunity to spend money on an overpriced drink is even a bigger buzz kill.....

Upfront profit....that's the reason....the booze costs them nothing...soda costs even less! They do it, because they can, and because you will PAY it!

I do not think you can say the booze cost nothing, I was drinking some Johnny walker platinum 18 year old scotch, which sells for approx. 100 a bottle , I know they pay way less but still

Drink packages change the view of a $12 drink to "ugh, really" to "man, getting my money's worth, yeah me!"

No, you're not getting your money's worth, it's just a question of what's cheaper. Either way you are getting taken to the cleaners. After careful consideration, I'll abstain for the week.