New to Princess - Question on Caribbean Menus

SSFrance69

Hello,

I'm considering giving Princess cruises a try.

I've been loyal to Celebrity for many years now and just want to try something new and different. If I'm accustomed to Celebrity food, just wondering if I'll be happy or disappointed with Princess. I looked at some Princess menus and the selections looked wonderful...but then I started reading people's reviews of recent Caribbean sailings (which is likely what we will book if we do) and saw a lot of negative reviews about the regional specialties. So it looks like many of the wonderful selections I saw when I browsed the "before the change" menus have been replaced by several regional specialties each night. I could see doing one each night...but two or three is a bit much, considering not everyone (myself included) wants pork and beans and Caribbean spices. I like the more classic Continental dishes. Will I be disappointed? Or has anyone heard that because of the negative feedback, perhaps they will be changing it up a bit next Caribbean sailing season?

Anything else you can entice me with to try Princess? Food or otherwise?

Many thanks

Hello,

I've been loyal to Celebrity for many years now and just want to try something new and different. If I'm accustomed to Celebrity food, just wondering if I'll be happy or disappointed with Princess. I looked at some Princess menus and the selections looked wonderful...but then I started reading people's reviews of recent Caribbean sailings (which is likely what we will book if we do) and saw a lot of negative reviews about the regional specialties. So it looks like many of the wonderful selections I saw when I browsed the "before the change" menus have been replaced by several regional specialties each night. I could see doing one each night...but two or three is a bit much, considering not everyone (myself included) wants pork and beans and Caribbean spices. I like the more classic Continental dishes. Will I be disappointed? Or has anyone heard that because of the negative feedback, perhaps they will be changing it up a bit next Caribbean sailing season?

Many thanks

Princess does significantly change their DR menus and buffet selections based on where they are sailing. Caribbean menus are basically created for the North American market passengers. They may have a nightly selection of something like jerked beef, but the basic menus remain the same. Each evening there is usually one 'homestyle' selection, a few fish dishes, a few meat dishes, two pasta selections which can be ordered as an app. or a main dish, and a veggie selection, a turf and shrimp selection one evening and a lobster tail selection one night. There are also salads, hot and cold soups, various apps. and of course desserts. On the left hand side of the menu are the always available items such as baked potato, chicken, steak and a few others that I can't remember. I have never seen pork & beans like you mention in the MDR, maybe the buffet.

In the buffet they may have a theme lunch or dinner such as Mexican, Brazilian BBQ, stir fry. A lot depends on the ship. The Royal & Regal have superior buffet areas and wider selections in the buffet.

Other free Dining includes:

International Cafe open 24 hours; Alfredo's, sit down pizza, calzones, and other items (in the Caribbean only on the Royal and Regal); Grill & soft ice cream by the lido pool, room service, & maybe I forgot something.

Princess charges $25/pp for the Crown Grill and Sabatini's (Italian) and $20/pp for the Crab Shack (buckets of seafood). On the Royal & Regal there is also a fondue meal at $20/pp.

Hello,

Anything else you can entice me with to try Princess? Food or otherwise? The MDR menu doesn't change much by cruise location. They will add some local food items but most will be the same. You have to remember that the passengers don't change between different locations , therefore food preference doesn't change much.

Many thanks

Don't go by the negative comments about the food. Food is a very personal and subjective item.

Edited by Kamloops50

Don't go by the negative comments about the food. Food is a very personal and subjective item.

There were probably as many who raved about the menu as complained. The specialty dishes are fewer in number than the regular things you would see on a cruise menu. There are plenty of choices.

We really liked most of the Caribbean specialties, but, even if we hadn't, there were plenty of other things to enjoy on the menus, too. I haven't been on Celebrity for awhile but I used to think their breadsticks were out of this world. Princess' are not, but they do seafood much better than Celebrity. DH used to say Celebrity's beef was far and away better, but I've read where it's gone a bit downhill recently.

I do not think that Princess' specialty restaurants can compare to Celebrity.

Bottom line...while you will undoubtedly notice differences, I don't think you'll be disappointed. And if you are, you need only to bring it to the attention of a headwaiter and your requests will be accommodated.

Hello,

Many thanks

As stated food is subjective. The negative comments you read here on CC are a tiny part of the thousands that enjoy Princess dining very much.

There are lots of choices.

Take these negative comments with a grain of salt. ;)

As stated food is subjective. The negative comments you read here on CC are a tiny part of the thousands that enjoy Princess dining very much.

There are lots of choices.

Take these negative comments with a grain of salt. ;)

I agree. One person's "Yum!" is another person's "Yuck!" On one cruise, a woman sitting at my table complained about the "weird" menu items. When asked for specifics, she said, "Lamb!" There ya go.

I find Princess far more flexible than Celebrity when asking for menu item modifications, such as no sauce or a baked potato instead of creamy potatoes, and you can request an off-menu item prepared for you as long as you request it the night before.

Thanks for all the replies and that sample menu, which looks really good, btw...

Looks like there are many other choices besides Caribbean themed. I imagine depending on the region, this could be in my favor. I love French food...so a cruise through Europe perhaps? :)

Thanks again!