John Heald: Liquor Distribution Change

kelkel2

Am I the only one, or does anyone else on these boards notice that whenever Carnival implements

a new policy, it is always the same posters that moan and whine about these said policies?

Makes me wonder how many of them are either sad miserable people or simply employees of other

brands paid to make a big deal over these minor policy changes... :rolleyes:

Am I the only one, or does anyone else on these boards notice that whenever Carnival implements

a new policy, it is always the same posters that moan and whine about these said policies?

Makes me wonder how many of them are either sad miserable people or simply employees of other

There are people here going both ways.

Some will complain about all changes, some will think all changes are awesome.

Personally after awhile, certain posters I respect and others I will pretty much ignore.

We are diamond and cruise 3-4x a year with Carnival and say what I think good, bad or indifferent.

Edited by love my grandkids

..says one of the premier defenders (employee?)...or is that "cheerleader? :rolleyes:

My goodness, did I strike a nerve?

Can you please show me where in my post I use the term "cheerleader"? You are grouping someone elses post into mine. Nor was I ridiculing anyone or acting "defensive" in any way. We all know that Carnival monitors these boards, and I simply asked if anyone else thought that maybe they had a few "plants" in here to support their policy changes. It happens in most walks of life.

If you look at my signature, you will notice that I exclusively cruise Carnival. I have no need to "put them in a bad light". I just merely asked the obvious... Have a good day.

Since I responded to your post with the cheerleader comment you are being pegged as well. I apologize for that. However, the term "cheerleader" as it relates to this board means anyone that defends Carnival at all costs. I think it applies in this particular case.

I am not intimidated by anyone on a public forum but do get annoyed when people can not honestly access a change of policy to see how well thought out it was before hand. The change in water policy, to me, is alright. The online price was changed before hand and CCLMischelle was here to answer questions prior to the announcement.

This change, although part of the same announcement was not well thought out. It does impact many people and it appears that Carnival is already stepping back from the cliff, at least with the express luggage people. Time will tell what the end result is.

If you have the ability to stay on the ship until you are asked to leave. Great for you. Many others do not have that luxury.

.....and bashers and they offset, sometimes even with good points on boths side. It is what makes this place work.

I don't consider myself a basher as I cruise exclusively with Carnival. Haven't been on a different line in almost 30 years. You are right though, it is what makes this place work.

Again, not me.

Sure wish I was employed by any cruise line. I would be getting paid to do what I love.

Am I still upset about the changes made to the Gold VIFP program, yes. Do I think it's unreasonable for them to ban carry on "water", no. It is a well known fact (and even bragged about as of recent) people did sneak on alcohol this way. Did I do it, no.

Do I think this new policy of picking up liquor on debarkation day is stupid, yes. Did I drink any of my purchases the night before, no.

I have even been called a "Cheerleader" around the timeframe of the Triumph mishap because I thought the compensation the passengers received was fair. I even went as far as to say that I wouldn't have cared if I had to poop in a plastic bag as growing up in the woods, I had done it a million times - it's called camping. Would I have been disappointed and probably irritated if I was on that cruise, yes. Would I have threatened to sue, no. Would I have taken the next cruise free because of it, yes!

So the generalizations you are making absolutely don't apply to me. I love Carnival, however, when they do things that I think are dumb and stupid, I have absolutely no problem calling them out on it.

Edited to add that these things will not make me stop cruising Carnival. Do I feel less valued as a Gold member, yes. Will I stop buying alcohol on board if they keep this highly inconvenient policy, yes. So while none of their policy changes thus far will make me stop cruising them altogether, it does make me reconsider some things. So from me they will be losing out on liquor revenue. No biggie for them, I'm sure. Will I still have a fabulous time on my cruises, yes.

Debarkation is a stressful time. Having to add picking up alcohol with approximately half the ship is not on my list of things to do. I'm neither happy or disgruntled, there is nothing where I am going that I can't get here at home for close to the same price. I just won't purchase duty free.

I personally feel the change is because of the amount of the claims of failure to receive. And likely the amount of bottles that actually do go missing

Again, not me.

Sure wish I was employed by any cruise line. I would be getting paid to do what I love.

Am I still upset about the changes made to the Gold VIFP program, yes. Do I think it's unreasonable for them to ban carry on "water", no. It is a well known fact (and even bragged about as of recent) people did sneak on alcohol this way. Did I do it, no.

Do I think this new policy of picking up liquor on debarkation day is stupid, yes. Did I drink any of my purchases the night before, no.

I have even been called a "Cheerleader" around the timeframe of the Triumph mishap because I thought the compensation the passengers received was fair. I even went as far as to say that I wouldn't have cared if I had to poop in a plastic bag as growing up in the woods, I had done it a million times - it's called camping. Would I have been disappointed and probably irritated if I was on that cruise, yes. Would I have threatened to sue, no. Would I have taken the next cruise free because of it, yes!

So the generalizations you are making absolutely don't apply to me. I love Carnival, however, when they do things that I think are dumb and stupid, I have absolutely no problem calling them out on it.

I obviously hit close to home and struck a few nerves and now all the defense mechanisms of some are coming out.

I said all I need to say about this, hopefully they did too, and now we can go about other discussions.

I obviously hit close to home and struck a few nerves and now all the defense mechanisms of some are coming out.

I said all I need to say about this, hopefully they did too, and now we can go about other discussions.

I'm not defending anything. No need to since I have done nothing wrong. It boils down to this: No more liquor purchases for me or my family/friends if this policy stays in place. Not quite sure why that's so hard to understand or why it's an issue for some. What I do or don't spend my money on is up to me. I am simply letting Carnival know that they won't be receiving anymore of mine in this area. Get over it and move on. I am.

Again, not me.

Edited to add that these things will not make me stop cruising Carnival. Do I feel less valued as a Gold member, yes. Will I stop buying alcohol on board if they keep this highly inconvenient policy, yes. So while none of their policy changes thus far will make me stop cruising them altogether, it does make me reconsider some things. So from me they will be losing out on liquor revenue. No biggie for them, I'm sure. Will I still have a fabulous time on my cruises, yes.

I don't consider myself a basher as I cruise exclusively with Carnival. Haven't been on a different line in almost 30 years. You are right though, it is what makes this place work.

I agree, and I don't consider myself a cheerleader (although some may say that I am) I do sail mainly Carnival but have sailed RCCL (Oasis) and MSC and been on 4 other lines and toured ships. There are times here when it gets a little heated....OK a lot, but it really does work. When I see people suggesting things I think is wrong or at the least, needs to have a different viewpoint on, I make a point to offer that. There are some here with specific agendas (and openly state just that), but thats fine also.

You owe me a new keyboard for that one. Coffee all over the place.

Seriously things do get spirited and I need to learn to walk away when my feathers get ruffled.

Edited by figdu

I would not go so far as to call certain posters "cheerleaders" or "bashers" but certain posters do seem to ALWAYS downplay when people have a gripe with a Carnival policy. These same posters ALWAYS (and you can check their posting history) try to make it seem like people are whining over "nothing."

I've known people like that all my life. People who just enjoy contradicting the majority on ALL issues! I even have a son who's like that. :eek::rolleyes:

I would not go so far as to call certain posters "cheerleaders" or "bashers" but certain posters do seem to ALWAYS downplay when people have a gripe with a Carnival policy. These same posters ALWAYS (and you can check their posting history) try to make it seem like people are whining over "nothing."

I've known people like that all my life. People who just enjoy contradicting the majority on ALL issues! I even have a son who's like that. :eek::rolleyes:

Some people just like being contrary for sport. One poster on this thread has ridiculed both Carnival for the policy and those that cruise Carnival for not liking it. So any opportunity to be negative will do I guess. Meanwhile I haven't seen much unreasonable about people who take issue with this particular policy change. Yet alot of input is overlooked in order to instead argue.

Whatever. I'm not going to change how I feel and hope Carnival continues to walk this one back.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Why is it ok to make it harder on the employees and not yourself. CCL employees have to return your booze back to you the night before. This take time and a well worked out plan. It sounds like it would be easier to have it set up like a coat check area. Hand them your tag and off you go with your things. Far less employees to do the work, less bottles missing, less brakeage of bottles, less hassle. Why is ok to make it harder on them, your the one who bought the booze. Have your suitcase ready to put the bottle into it. Keep your bubble wrap and tape ready, wrap bottle and place into luggage. Off you go......

Relax and enjoy life.

Getting back to the "subject" of the original post :rolleyes: I have read that several people say they have had this done previously on Carnival. Looking it over it appears they do presently do this on a lot of the smaller ships - but I don't have a good picture of this as it happens on the dream class ships with over 3,000 passengers. It has to be a "cluster"!!

People would be fine if they had to pick it up themselves. The entire issue is timing. Not so much the employees dropping it off versus you going to get it.

That said, nobody is asking for the employees to do anything extra. If they go back to delivering it then that's what they've been doing anyway. I don't consider that extra work.

Sent from my SCH-I435 using Tapatalk

Will you buy it at the ports where Carnival makes no "profit" on the sales? It's way cheaper than that sold in the fun-shops.

Silly question: do people really cruise just to purchase booze and is the few dollars saved worth the hassle?

No, I won't buy alcohol at the ports, regardless of price, if I have to pick it up the morning of disembarkation. No, I don't cruise to purchase booze. I would just suck it up and not buy it while sailing Carnival- I will buy it at home or when I sail on another cruise line.

Edited by JinxyB

Some people like to have a good debate....especially, in this case, when it is their opinion that the gripe is about nothing. It is after all their opinion and they do have a right to voice it even if it does differ from others. If someone posts something and I personally disagree with them, I will post my opposite view and the reasons for it. Others will disagree with me and that is ok....we don't have to agree. Some people just can't handle it when others disagree with them and end up name calling and making personal attacks instead of sticking with the issues of the debate.

Why is it ok to make it harder on the employees and not yourself. CCL employees have to return your booze back to you the night before. This take time and a well worked out plan. It sounds like it would be easier to have it set up like a coat check area. Hand them your tag and off you go with your things. Far less employees to do the work, less bottles missing, less brakeage of bottles, less hassle. Why is ok to make it harder on them, your the one who bought the booze. Have your suitcase ready to put the bottle into it. Keep your bubble wrap and tape ready, wrap bottle and place into luggage. Off you go......

Relax and enjoy life.

Two simple reasons.

1. Carnival is in the service industry. When in the service industry, you serve. It would be easier for the room stewards to drop off cleaning supplies, some fresh towels and bedding and let you make your own cabin. They could also eliminate the MDRs and just go to buffet, that would be easier for the servers and even the cooks. Of course, neither would qualify as service. Eliminating service in the name of "making it easy for the employees" is something that should never be said in a service business.

2. Carnival caused the problem. Carnival does not need to take alcohol away from passengers when returning from port, nor do they need to hold alcohol when purchased in the Fun Shops. Carnival instead has chosen to do this to protect their onboard sales. That means it is now their responsibility to return the alcohol purchases to the guests in an acceptable manner.

Two simple reasons.

1. Carnival is in the service industry. When in the service industry, you serve. It would be easier for the room stewards to drop off cleaning supplies, some fresh towels and bedding and let you make your own cabin. They could also eliminate the MDRs and just go to buffet, that would be easier for the servers and even the cooks. Of course, neither would qualify as service. Eliminating service in the name of "making it easy for the employees" is something that should never be said in a service business.

2. Carnival caused the problem. Carnival does not need to take alcohol away from passengers when returning from port, nor do they need to hold alcohol when purchased in the Fun Shops. Carnival instead has chosen to do this to protect their onboard sales. That means it is now their responsibility to return the alcohol purchases to the guests in an acceptable manner.

excellent post