Departure of Claudius Docekal

Spursgirl

It appears that Claudius Docekal has left Azamara to join Crystal.

I believe Mr Docekal was responsible for planning our gorgeous Azamara itineraries and consequently will be much missed.

As this is a pivotal role I hope Larry P is planning to hire an equally accomplished replacement.

Good luck to Mr Docekal in his new position.

Hi Everyone,

Just heard this a few moments ago. Looks like things are moving and shaking again. Here's the details from Seatrade Cruise News :

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/setloff-docekal-join-crystal-cruises-from-azamara.html

I've had the pleasure of meeting Claudius Docekal and Bruce Setloff. They are both outstanding. There's no other way to say this. IMO, it's a tough loss for Azamara and a huge win for Crystal. With that said, I'm sure Azamara will fill the roles with excellent personnel.

Wishing Claudius & Bruce all the very best of success at Crystal.

Edited by Host Andy

It appears that Claudius Docekal has left Azamara to join Crystal.

I believe Mr Docekal was responsible for planning our gorgeous Azamara itineraries and consequently will be much missed.

As this is a pivotal role I hope Larry P is planning to hire an equally accomplished replacement.

Good luck to Mr Docekal in his new position.

Hi Spursgirl,

You are correct. Mr Docekal was Azamara's deployment director.

Many long time Azamara cruisers remember Edie (Bornstein) Rodriguez, who was Azamara's SVP Sales and Marketing before she became Crystal's President and COO. I wonder who else at Azamara she has her eye on. Of course with Crystal's sale to Genting Hong Kong, who knows what changes might be afoot.

Edie is on a roll ...

Seatrade announced another senior recruit to Crystal from Azamara last month. I guess nobody had a non-compete clause. :p

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/corvos-roig-is-joining-crystal-as-svp-marketing-and-sales.html?nspPage=5

Edited by MightyQuinn

Edie also hired Juliana Meyer Schmidt several months ago as sales director for Latin and South America. Julians married Chris Schmidt, the former activities manager on the Journey a year ago March.

Hi Everyone,

On a related note, here's additional news of new appointments at Azamara, via seatrade cruise news :

http://www.seatrade-cruise.com/news/news-headlines/azamara-restructures-sales-team-promotes-three.html

The individual promotions of Nils, Lori & John within our Field Sales organization are very well-deserved acknowledgements of all they've contributed to the success of Azamara Club Cruises. I send them big CONGRATULATIONS!

Many long time Azamara cruisers remember Edie (Bornstein) Rodriguez, who was Azamara's SVP Sales and Marketing before she became Crystal's President and COO. I wonder who else at Azamara she has her eye on. Of course with Crystal's sale to Genting Hong Kong, who knows what changes might be afoot.

Well, the former NE Sales Manager for Azamara is now at Crystal as is their former Director of Sales. Carmen Roig, You can now add Bruce and Claudius and Lyle Duncan who was corporate counsel at RCI which of course owns Azamara. I guess in a strange way it's a compliment to the quality of people Azamara hires.

In some ways, I find this hiring surprising. On the Azamara website when Bornstein was still with the company, for many cruises, there was a video for each cruise featuring Bornstein and Docekal talking about the itinerary. It seemed at times there was a lack of chemistry, if not tension, between the two. Given this hiring, I guess they got along well enough.

Edited by Reggiefan

In some ways, I find this hiring surprising. On the Azamara website when Bornstein was still with the company, for many cruises, there was a video for each cruise featuring Bornstein and Docekal talking about the itinerary. It seemed at times there was a lack of chemistry, if not tension, between the two. Given this hiring, I guess they got along well enough.

Neither ever seemed comfortable on camera. I remember the videos looking contrived.

It appears that AZ had the recruitment side of the equation down. Retention, not so much.

Maybe it goes beyond recruitment to actual professional development. If that's the case, then the people moving up will do very well. You can't keep everybody and it's only a two ship cruise line at present.

And the explanation can be as simple as one or both not being very comfortable on video.

Hi Reggiefan,

I recall those videos, and I think your explanation may be the most accurate. As I learned years ago, when 2 people are in a video, the chemistry must be right, or the video usually fails - even when 1 person may be more comfortable in front of the camera, than the other.

If I remember correctly... when those videos were made, Azamara was relatively new to making videos of that nature, and I'm sure there was a learning curve involved.

Maybe it goes beyond recruitment to actual professional development. If that's the case, then the people moving up will do very well. You can't keep everybody and it's only a two ship cruise line at present.

All of the aforementioned people had been at Azamara for a very long time and it was a two ship fleet. That being said money talks and you know the rest of the phrase.

All of the aforementioned people had been at Azamara for a very long time and it was a two ship fleet. That being said money talks and you know the rest of the phrase.

My point was that, if you develop a strong team, you can afford to let highly paid long time contributors go if they ask for too much. If we are all doing our jobs well, we are grooming our replacements. It's something I do every day. It's great if this move creates opportunities for those who are ready to move up. Hopefully, Azamara will begin to add ships to the fleet as well. It's hard to believe that Royal Caribbean will lay down to other cruise ship companies in smaller ship ocean cruising, especially when they already have the infrastructure in place to out compete others. We'll see.

All these changes from Azamara to Crystal may be why or because Crystal recently announced the opening of a new office in Miami. Sometimes much easier to recruit new people when they don't have to move cross country and can remain in their current residence. Also saves the new company relocation costs which for executives can be quite expensive.

All these changes from Azamara to Crystal may be why or because Crystal recently announced the opening of a new office in Miami. Sometimes much easier to recruit new people when they don't have to move cross country and can remain in their current residence. Also saves the new company relocation costs which for executives can be quite expensive.

I believe they opened the office so they could recruit the people.. Mia has the greatest concentration of top cruise line execs and managers in the world. Makes sense