cruise on Sunday I'm on crutches

abqmommyof4

I needed assistance walking last year and when we sailed from Seattle everyone was great in helping my DW and me. Upon getting near the entrance to the building my DW asked a Princess rep for a wheelchair for me. They then took our luggage for us and we were taken through security and check in and given priority boarding. After checking in a person from the ship came with a ship's wheel chair and took us to the head of the line to board. It was great service. I rented a scooter from Special Needs at Sea and had no problem getting it through the door of a standard balcony cabin.

Glad to hear that you were happy with the service we provided. Hope that you are as happy with our service this year as you were with last. Last year we were Princess employees, but this year we no longer work directly for Princess :(, but we hope to provide you the same kind of service!

Tom

Thank you everyone for all of the tips and advice. bring both crutches really hoping I wont need the wheel chair getting off. Most of our excursions are low activity and low walking events. The only one I will probably bow out of will be the butterfly farm in Victoria.

Looking forward to be pampered.

Long story short i was put in a knee brace and on crutches on Monday. We board on Sunday the 14th.. Any suggestions to make my life ( and hubby's) easier Seattle on the ruby

thanks in advance

I have seen people using a knee walker on ships. Seems so much better and easier than crutches.

Depending on your injury, is this something you could look into?

a folding travel wheelchair

http://www.costco.com/Elite-Aluminum-Transport-Wheelchair-by-Medline%C2%AE.product.100144447.html is an example of one....

I own one and took it when I was on chemo for disney World and we took it on a cruise with my then 82 year old MIL to save her a lot of long tiring walks...

Bernadette

Agree with the folding transport chair as long as your husband can push you around. We have one for my DH and it's wonderful.

Edited by mek

Oh- and really sorry that you are not in tip-tip shape. Knees are a very poorly designed part of the body!!!

I would vote for a scooter and don't know the Princess rules about which cabins but you should call immediately and ask them. If you need a handicap cabin they may be able to move you around. Scooters are much easier to use than crutches and you will get around more quickly than your husband. Just don't race too quickly down the halls.

And if you have never used one- try the scooters in the local stores. They will give you some experience.

Edited by 5waldos

Cat woman, have you been able to rent a scooter from Special needs that fits through he regular cabin door?

I don't know if Special Needs has it but my TravelScoot not only fits through the door of a regular cabin, it folds up and fits on the floor of the closet when I am not using it. I generally can walk OK but I can't do long days of walking so sometimes it comes with me.

Also, I really recommend using a wheel chair for getting through the airport. You don't need to arrange one in advance, just ask when you get to the terminal.

Any kind of problem walking and you realize how HUGE airports are.

I second the idea that you get one of the aluminum travel wheelchairs. They are very light and fold up to about the size of a suitcase. Since you can use crutches you can get out of the chair so your companion can get it through the doorway easier. My Mom could not walk at all but I managed to get her and the chair through the doorways. Mom passed away, but we have lent the wheelchair to others and I ended up using it myself after breaking my foot last year.

You are probably much better off if you can get around crutches. Last December we sailed around South America and the ship went one way and I went the other, resulting in a sprained ankle. I ended up buying one of those big ankle boots, which was supposed to make my ankle heal better. But I couldn't walk in the thing, so Princess lent us a wheelchair for the rest of the voyage. Getting around in that, even with my husband pushing me, gave me an appreciation of what people in wheelchairs go through. It was difficult to navigate the hall ways and various venues. Given a choice, I think getting around on crutches would be much preferable.

Hi Abqmommyof4. I remember you from our 2012 cruise. So sorry about your injury. I broke my leg on our 2014 Christmas cruise and was on crutches and in a boot for quite a while. I'm a big fan of "forearm crutches" instead of the traditional "armpit" crutches. I don't know if you have time to look into this but I found them much more comfortable to use. I've heard they're much more popular in Europe than our traditional crutches. http://www.amazon.com/Medline-Aluminum-Forearm-Crutches-Adult/dp/B00083DFOW/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434079704&sr=8-1&keywords=elbow+crutch&pebp=1434079698703&perid=CD364C5957134E7CAC4E

Anyway, good luck and I hope you have an enjoyable cruise!

thanks jungle jane... have the regular crutches. training gloves to protect my hands. Our Youngest Donald finished his first year of college and is now at the mythical mecca known as Philmont for the summer

looking forward to our vacation to the great white north

Keep in mind that it can get a little difficult to maintain balance with two good legs at times while on the ship.

Another thing to watch out for is be very careful if a deck is wet. Your crutch can easily slide.

(I am presently on crutches, though not on a cruise.)

• 3 weeks later...