No HAL rep at HAL hotels in Europe from now on...

LindaM

Didn't they usually help people pre and post cruise with tours as well? A rollcall friend said her TA said there will be no one selling tours at the hotel.

I'm surprised I haven't read that here.

I would be surprised if there were no reps at the hotels, at least for the purpose of getting everyone on the bus at the right time, etc. Was not aware they sold tours at the hotels.

Don't forget it is possible the TA involved may have got/given bad info. It is third person at best right now.

Didn't they usually help people pre and post cruise with tours as well? A rollcall friend said her TA said there will be no one selling tours at the hotel.

I'm surprised I haven't read that here.

Is this a case of the old party game of telephone? OP says someone else asked their TA if HAL will be selling tours at the hotel and the answer was no. Third hand interpretation seems to have turned into HAL has no rep at the hotel at any time.

Is this a case of the old party game of telephone? OP says someone else asked their TA if HAL will be selling tours at the hotel and the answer was no. Third hand interpretation seems to have turned into HAL has no rep at the hotel at any time.

No, the question was two fold: "No HAL rep at HAL hotels in Europe from now on...

Didn't they usually help people pre and post cruise with tours as well? "

I'd be very surprised to learn they will not have a rep herding everyone onto/off of the bus and being sure there are no problems with getting room assignments etc Not all travelers are seasoned and experienced. Some first timers (and likely some not so new to it) may need assistance.

I don't know about selling excursions but wouldn't expect them to do that.

Edited by sail7seas

It sounds like a case of miscommunication to me. If hal offers no assistance why would anyone book their hotels?

Agree.

I have used cruise line hotel packages in Europe, New Zealand, and the United States. The reps that are there do not work for the cruise line but for a company employed by the cruise line to assist their guests. Not certain about the United States, but can say with some degree of certainty that in Europe and New Zealand tours were sold by those representatives for the tour company for whom they worked. I have not purchased such tours everywhere I have stayed, but the times that I have done so, the tours were well planned, executed with excellent guides, and most enjoyable.

Why not call Seattle (a couple of times) and see what answers you get from them?

That is exactly what I suggested to my friend. Once, the best answer I got from HAL was when I emailed someone from their website. We don't need tours in Rome, we've been there many times and have a plan. Our friends are spending 4 nights there.

Have not done this for a number of years, but we used to book HAL pre-cruise stays before or after HAL cruises in Europe and Asia. In the HAL hotel there were always folks on duty (like 7 am - 8 pm or something) at a HAL desk in the Hotel to help with questions, help herd us AND sell a limited number of day and evening tours and activities. We experienced these services on longer cruises (say 20+day cruises or so). More recently we have more time and plan our own pre and post cruise stuff. So, yes at one time such services were included in the HAL packages - don't know about the past few years.

I agree with a few posters above, I doubt HAL would do away with these folks unless they also do away with pre/post cruise hotel stays and/or tours.

Edited by wander

Have not done this for a number of years, but we used to book HAL pre-cruise stays before or after HAL cruises in Europe and Asia. In the HAL hotel there were always folks on duty (like 7 am - 8 pm or something) at a HAL desk in the Hotel to help with questions, help herd us AND sell a limited number of day and evening tours and activities. We experienced these services on longer cruises (say 20+day cruises or so). More recently we have more time and plan our own pre and post cruise stuff. So, yes at one time such services were included in the HAL packages - don't know about the past few years.

I agree with a few posters above, I doubt HAL would do away with these folks unless they also do away with pre/post cruise hotel stays and/or tours.

They will never do away with pre and post packages, transfers, tour selling because these are big profit items with everything marked up one to two hundred per cent. In the information age we live in fewer passengers buy these products from cruise lines but enough do.

They will never do away with pre and post packages, transfers, tour selling because these are big profit items with everything marked up one to two hundred per cent. In the information age we live in fewer passengers buy these products from cruise lines but enough do.

You really have to compare prices. This is not about Europe but I got a hotel in Fort Lauderdale for $270 per night thru hal. The going rate on the Internet was close to $500. Hal is not always way more expensive.

The original post was about doing away with the reps in the lobby, selling tours by local operators.

If you enjoy doing your own research on hotels and tours that is wonderful. There are enough of us even well traveled passengers who don't want the bother. I know I'm paying more, but certainly not the percentages you claim. It's like buying at Macys..paying full price, or waiting for the sale. I wait for the sale, but as far as travel goes, I don't care. I pay whatever they charge, because I don't want to think when I'm on vacation.

The original post was about doing away with the reps in the lobby, selling tours by local operators.

If you enjoy doing your own research on hotels and tours that is wonderful. There are enough of us even well traveled passengers who don't want the bother. I know I'm paying more, but certainly not the percentages you claim. It's like buying at Macys..paying full price, or waiting for the sale. I wait for the sale, but as far as travel goes, I don't care. I pay whatever they charge, because I don't want to think when I'm on vacation.

Agree. Money is not always the only motivator for people. Sometimes hal does offer better deals. A person has to go with their comfort level. Cheap doesn't mean best.