Help with Hawaii Cruise

Travelling_Bob

My wife and I are Platinum Level with Princess.

We have been to Hawaii a few times but we have never sailed to Hawaii or sailed back from Hawaii and really don't know what to expect weather wise.

Can anyone or everyone who has an opinion on the weather in the different months tell us what they experienced (good or bad) how the weather was during their time sailing either to Hawaii from California or returning from Hawaii to California?

We really appreciate all of you who take your time to help us.

We have been to Hawaii a few times but we have never sailed to Hawaii or sailed back from Hawaii and really don't know what to expect weather wise.

Can anyone or everyone who has an opinion on the weather in the different months tell us what they experienced (good or bad) how the weather was during their time sailing either to Hawaii from California or returning from Hawaii to California?

The first and last couple of days could be a little chilly .As you approach Hawaii the weather gets better.

This is the best website I've found for Hawaii weather which includes monthly averages:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

Your thread will most likely be moved to the Hawaii board & there is a lot of great info there to help you plan your Hawaiian cruise which is one of my favorite cruises. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I've sailed from LA to Hawaii in November & January and it's typically cool sailing near the West Coast for a couple of days. My favorite time in Maui is January...mostly temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s and less crowds. :D

Has anyone had any experience with the weather system, el Nino, while crossing the Pacific? There has been talk with various weather sites that we are very likely to experience an el Nino later this year. Just not sure if this type of weather system would affect a crossing. I'm only lightly curious and not being an alarmist as my husband and I are booked for late November.

Basically you have to like sea days (there are 9/10 of them), and indoor activities. Princess provides a Hawaii cultural team which perform and lead activities such as uke lessons, hula, lea making. Every time we have taken this cruise the first few days to Hawaii were cool and not typical tropical weather. The return route goes to Ensenada which is a slightly more southern route. It was warmer.

We enjoyed this cruise.

Has anyone had any experience with the weather system, el Nino, while crossing the Pacific? There has been talk with various weather sites that we are very likely to experience an el Nino later this year. Just not sure if this type of weather system would affect a crossing. I'm only lightly curious and not being an alarmist as my husband and I are booked for late November.

They have been predicting a mild El Niño for later this year, which those of us in California are praying for because it could mean a slight increase in the rainfall, which we desperately need. But it should have no impact on a Pacific crossing other than maybe a few rainy days.

This is the best website I've found for Hawaii weather which includes monthly averages:

http://www.hawaiiweathertoday.com/trip-planning-weather/

Your thread will most likely be moved to the Hawaii board & there is a lot of great info there to help you plan your Hawaiian cruise which is one of my favorite cruises. :)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=62

I've sailed from LA to Hawaii in November & January and it's typically cool sailing near the West Coast for a couple of days. My favorite time in Maui is January...mostly temperatures in the upper 70s to low 80s and less crowds. :D

Great website. :)

I've cruised to Hawaii several times. For the best weather, I would leave from San Pedro, as opposed to San Francisco or Vancouver. I prefer to travel in the early fall or late spring, as going in December or January is too cold for me.

Great website. :)

Glenn James is a very helpful meteorologist who lives on Maui and has taught college courses & had a local weather channel program.

In addition to monthly trip planning weather summaries he also provides weather based on activities including beaches, surfing, dive/snorkel and windsurfing/kiteboarding. :)

Edited by Astro Flyer

as mentioned the first and last day will be mildly rolly....but the rest is pretty much a lake. Best time is mid April and end of October

Weather is constant.... year around

There is nothing so enjoyable as discovering the islands by sea The sea days give you a chance to relax and contemplate. The return time to reflect... no instant gratification.... Discovering islands as they were meant to..... Its what the islands and you deserve...

.Flying is a cheap short change El nino will have NO effect...Weather guys in Hawaii pretty useless use NOAA

Lived there for over a decade.......

I did the round trip Hawaii cruise in December for the last three years. All three were from San Pedro. Weather was chilly to cold the first 3 days and the last 2-3 days. I didn't really experience rough seas or terribly bad weather on any of these. One year it rained a bit more than the others. Several years back I sailed one way from Hawaii to the mainland. This was in March and it was one of the roughest cruises I've ever been on while we were around the islands. On the way back the seas were like glass. You can't really predict the weather. I do really enjoy this cruise, but I love the sea days. You have to be able to relax and enjoy down time to like this cruise.

We did the RT Hawaii cruise three times at the same time of year (12/22, 12/22, and 12/19) and the conditions were slightly different all three times. First time, cool leaving LA and got warm a day or so before the Islands -- basically high 70s and sunny in all ports. Very warm returning (and very smooth seas too after rough seas on the way) and in the 80s in Ensenada and back in LA (this was after a major rain storm so there was snow in the mountains as we were driving home).

Second time, lots of rain. We had a record number of days here in LA and the cruise was on day #7. Some rain on the way to Hawaii. A little rain in Honolulu. Cool on the way back.

Third time, some rain on day 2 or 3. Pouring in Hilo. Cool on the way back.

We sailed to Hawaii in October on Carnival.

Perfect seas for us West Coast cruisers, had several cruisers debark in HI, incurring the fine because the seas were too rough.

In December some ships had issues because they were sailing into a 'Pineapple Express' weather system.

The first two and last two days crossing and the northbound from Ensenada can be rough due to Alaskan Current traveling down the West Coast.

Edited by SadieN

We went in November and in January. IIRC, November was the worse in seas we've ever experienced. We left out of San Francisco. Two days out we hit a severe storm. We were on the Aloha deck and the waves were reaching our deck and the wind was howling. It blew out the sliding glass door in the cabin next to us, and on the other side of us the ceiling came down on the people who were in bed. It broke the mans shoulder blade and he spent two days in the infirmary. This all went on around 2:00 am. Breakfast on the Lido deck found very few people as many of them were sick. I wasn't scared, we just rocked and rolled alot. It sounded like the ship was going to split in half.

In January, it was a much better experience. It was a little rough for about a day or so but nothing to get anxious about. It was cold out for the first two days, but got warmer as we got closer to the islands.

There's no scenery but the ocean for as far as you can see--4 days of it. No other ships, not even a jetliner. I'm always glad to get to the islands and plant my feet on the ground.

I'm looking to go for the third time in January - I'm waiting for a sale.:D

We have our 4th crossing booked for Feb. We usually go in April so I can avoid any island humidity. :)

Each cruise was different, but the constant is that the first day over, and the first day coming back is usually the choppiest. That said, it usually isn't a problem. I wear the Sea Bands, and have never been sick.

The island weather is pretty good in late March or April. We have had drizzle in Hilo--no surprise there--and on one tour in Honolulu, up in the hills, for about 15 minutes.

We chose Feb for this upcoming cruise because our friends wanted to go on a whale watch. Whales usually migrate in March.

We love the 15 day Hawaii cruises, and try to go every couple of years.

Patti

Our first (and only - until September when we sail again) cruise was last October when we sailed from Vancouver to Hawaii on the Grand. Third day out the weather got noticeably warmer and from then on we were sunbathing during the days. Those first two days were fine to be outside, just cool. I took ginger tablets daily (I have gotten sea sick on small charter boats in the past) in case of rough weather. One the way back, the boat did rock a lot in "unsettled" weather, but I was fine with it. It rained on us the final two days back, but not steady rain. It was certainly cool out. I am a MUTS fan and me and about a dozen or two die-hards were out there on the last two nights with about 3 or 4 blankets each to keep warm. Hey - I was still eating ice cream during the movie so it was not that cold.

Overall, although the boat movement on the rougher days did upset some people's stomachs and caused swaying when you walked, it was all very much within acceptable parameters for me. Wouldn't hesitate to sail that time of year again. And Hawaii in October was great. Went to the hidden waterfall on Kauai and it was running beautifully. We swam under a 300 foot waterfall in a natural and beautiful setting on a humid sunny afternoon. It was spectacular, though the walk in was very muddy. In Spring, the waterfall is often dry.

Don