SOS HELP What do I pack for Alaska

beachpeke

Hey Guys, We are leaving from Vancouver July 6 for 13 days. Sailing up and disembarking in Seward. How is the weather in July? Wondering if I should pack jeans or capris.

I am leaving the 5th! I would pack both. It looks like the weather in Alaska has been slightly warmer lately, in the 70s so I would pack all sorts of things as well as lots of layers.

Layers! You could get anything from 40's to 80's, most likely 70's during the day and high 50's at night. The enclosed spaces of the ship will be Capri comfortable.

In addition to a waterproof parka and hat I also recommend gloves.

The weather in Alaska is highly variable from day to day, month to month and year to year. Forecasts are good for about 24 hrs then their accuracy demises greatly. I would pack a decent waterproof shell, a fleece or two to wear under the shell, a cap, gloves and some shoes that are either waterproofed or sprayed a couple of times with waterproofing.

Thanks for the replies. I plan to start packing tomorrow. Hope it's 70 and sunny everyday.

You can hope for it, but don't pack for it, or you could be sorry! Yes, it can be sunny, especially on the land portions of your trip, but you can also expect some rain and it can be quite cold on your glacier cruising day(s).

I am leaving the 5th! I would pack both. It looks like the weather in Alaska has been slightly warmer lately, in the 70s so I would pack all sorts of things as well as lots of layers.

Pack both! It was 80 some days when we were there 2 weeks ago and other days you are wearing a coat and gloves!

Today I spoke to 2 people in a store who did an Alaskan cruise last summer. I asked them what is one thing they wished they took with them. They said they had a fleece, jacket, gloves, and hat but they wished they had brought warmer clothes like knee socks or women cuddle duds that go under your pants or sweat pants. When you are walking around in port the temps seem comfortable, but when you are cruising it can get quite cold. You will be spending a lot of time outside enjoying all of the scenery. So I will be adding more to my pile of what to pack.

I had thought about the cuddle duds. I will add them and a pair of gloves to my stack. My spare bedroom looks like a department store. So many different things for all seasons. Two weeks and we'll be in Vancouver.

Two weeks and we'll be in Vancouver.

Well, you'll need summer clothes for Vancouver - it has been unseasonably warm for months here!! Just check the weather websites for each of your ports the day before you leave in order to fine-tune your packing.

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/

http://www.wunderground.com/

The land temperature is not the only concern. When the boat was moving it was COLD. Our first night it was 50 degrees with a steady 50 mph wind. Plan for the boat as much as the shore!!

This is Off Topic for a moment....I see you are from Charleston.......

my heartfelt condolences go out to the people of your fair city......:(

The grace I have seen and "coming together" is remarkble.

Edited by Lois R

My 2 most important travel tool is my very light weight and compact umbrella that can get you through a rainy or windy or even very sunny patch of weather without having to bring 3 complete seasons of clothes and my lightweight backpack. A weatherproof light windbreaker jacket with hood is also a must and then very light layers including T-shirts, long sleeve shirts etc. I brought a scarf and winter hat and never used them but I did use a very light pair of isotoner gloves which were perfect for a couple of hours on a couple of days. I missed none of the sites this way and was super comfortable. I did haul a pair of heavy waterproof shoes which was a mistake because I used them only on one day on the cruise during the entire trip. A lighter pair of leather running shoes or light hiking shoes treated with waterproofing most likely will be your best bet. I have also seen water resistant hiking shoes you can buy.

DON'T over pack. I did that and it was just a pain. Every port we were in had very reasonably priced clothing. T-shirts for less than 10$, Fleece and Hoodies for 10-25$, Fleece lined Rain Parkas for $30-40$. If you need it......they will have it and more than likely it will be fairly cheap. One pair of medium gloves, nice hat, and umbrella. Other than that....layers. If you have the basics then you can always get extras when you get there.