Alcohol to 18 year old?

Cruising Crew

Sorry, no. The legal age for alcohol is 21 on Princess.

Not in all instances... Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess when sailing roundtrip from Southampton have a drinking (and gambling) age of 18, as do all the ships sailing from Australia.

Edited by RickEk

Princess website says:

"The legal drinking age of 21 years is always observed onboard all ships, 18 years on Grand Princess Mediterranean itineraries, and proof of age may be required. All onboard staff are trained to take their responsibility to not serve alcohol to underage guests seriously. The age restrictions are clearly posted in the bars."

Not sure why 18 only applies to the Grand, when other ships go to the Med. Unless someone else can comment, you might want to call / email Princess to ask, if you're not on the Grand.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Not in all instances... Caribbean Princess and Royal Princess when sailing roundtrip from Southampton have a drinking (and gambling) age of 18, as do all the ships sailing from Australia.

Rumour has it that the Emerald Princess has lowered the age to 18. A few people have posted on another thread after sailing on her recently. I'm on the 8/8 sailing will confirm after I return....

Princess website says:

"The legal drinking age of 21 years is always observed onboard all ships, 18 years on Grand Princess Mediterranean itineraries, and proof of age may be required. All onboard staff are trained to take their responsibility to not serve alcohol to underage guests seriously. The age restrictions are clearly posted in the bars."

Not sure why 18 only applies to the Grand, when other ships go to the Med. Unless someone else can comment, you might want to call / email Princess to ask, if you're not on the Grand.

Because the brochure and website haven't been updated for some time

Reply from Princess after my question

I can confirm that as per our 'Important Cruise Information' of our brochures we advise guests of the following, ' Due to US customs and practice, passengers must be 21 years of age or over to purchase alcohol or gamble (18 years or over on the Caribbean Princess cruises departing from Southampton)'.

Unfortunately our brochure is currently showing Grand Princess as opposed to the Caribbean Princess and I am truly sorry for any confusion this may have caused you. However, please be assured that our Marketing team have been made aware and they are in the process of having our website corrected as it is certainly not our intention to mislead guests in anyway, I would also like to offer my apologies for any conflicting information that you have received regarding the All Inclusive Drinks Package.

Rumour has it that the Emerald Princess has lowered the age to 18. A few people have posted on another thread after sailing on her recently. I'm on the 8/8 sailing will confirm after I return....

Not rumour fact, seen it with my own eyes

Thanks all. Is this strictly enforced? She does not drink much at all and I would like her to be able to enjoy a couple of cocktails with me.

What cruise are you on?........

If your cruise is 21 then yes they are strict and you would risk not only the crewmember getting fired but risk being put off the ship. Not worth it.

Any crew member who knowingly served alcohol to an underage passenger would lose their job. Princess won't mess around about it. The crew know that and have no desire to be fired.

Thanks all. Is this strictly enforced? She does not drink much at all and I would like her to be able to enjoy a couple of cocktails with me.

Her cruise card will indicate that she is or is not allowed to drink. If not, she will not be able to purchase any alcohol. If you purchase a drink fo rher and are caught, you will be put off the ship at the next port.

Her cruise card will indicate that she is or is not allowed to drink. If not, she will not be able to purchase any alcohol. If you purchase a drink for her and are caught, you will be put off the ship at the next port.

What the cruise card does is indicate age with three options

o Adult (21 or over)

o 18 - 20

o under 18

I have no doubt that the OP asked a simple and harmless question. That question has been answered by a number of well meaning people here and, again, I feel certain that the OP appreciates the answers that are couched in respectful attitudes.

I can certainly understand the attitude of those in the US who feel that if one is old enough to be conscripted into the military and possibly be maimed or killed in service to their country they should be considered old enough to drink alcohol if they so desire. I agree with that thinking but also understand the problems that can accompany youthful drinking.

Many other countries set a lower age limit for alcohol consumption and it seems that, when Princess itineraries originate from those countries, the lower limit is respected. When a Princess cruise originates from the USA the drinking age of the USA is the norm. Some will agree with this policy and others won't agree but, like many other policies, it still comes down to the fact that it's their ship so therefore it's their rules.

To the OP: I am sorry there was controversy here and I hope you realize that "most" people here are good people who understood your query as it was posted. Please don't think that all, most, or more than a small minority of people here have a problem with you asking your question. Such questions are one of the main reasons that this community exists. Please don't be discouraged from asking any questions in the future.

Thanks for participating in the CC community and I hope you will continue to do so.

Edited by Thrak

Cruising Crew, if you're on the Emerald there is a very good change the age will remain 18 in the Med as antsy has already clarified. I'm on the 8/8 sailing and will certainly clarity on my return 🍸🍸 cheers to you & your daughter

Got to love how complicated they make it.

Even this answer

Reply from Princess after my question

I can confirm that as per our 'Important Cruise Information' of our brochures we advise guests of the following, ' Due to US customs and practice, passengers must be 21 years of age or over to purchase alcohol or gamble (18 years or over on the Caribbean Princess cruises departing from Southampton)'.

isn't strictly correct as all Princess cruises to and from Australia have a drinking age of 18.

I was on the Emerald in the Med. this May. The drinking age posted on the

patter was 18. My 20 y.o. daughter as well as the 18 y.o. son of the family

we were travelling with were allowed to drink. Their cruise card had no

no markings or holes punched to indicate they were under age. The other

family also had a 22 y.o. son whose card was the same as the 18 & 22 y.o.

and the same as ours. They were even given a coupon for a free drink at

the captains circle party.

I have no doubt that the OP asked a simple and harmless question. That question has been answered by a number of well meaning people here and, again, I feel certain that the OP appreciates the answers that are couched in respectful attitudes.

I can certainly understand the attitude of those in the US who feel that if one is old enough to be conscripted into the military and possibly be maimed or killed in service to their country they should be considered old enough to drink alcohol if they so desire. I agree with that thinking but also understand the problems that can accompany youthful drinking.

Many other countries set a lower age limit for alcohol consumption and it seems that, when Princess itineraries originate from those countries, the lower limit is respected. When a Princess cruise originates from the USA the drinking age of the USA is the norm. Some will agree with this policy and others won't agree but, like many other policies, it still comes down to the fact that it's their ship so therefore it's their rules.

To the OP: I am sorry there was controversy here and I hope you realize that "most" people here are good people who understood your query as it was posted. Please don't think that all, most, or more than a small minority of people here have a problem with you asking your question. Such questions are one of the main reasons that this community exists. Please don't be discouraged from asking any questions in the future.

Thanks for participating in the CC community and I hope you will continue to do so.

Thrak thanks for this - I am not discouraged and do appreciate the helpful responses. We depart next Saturday and are looking forward to our trip.

I was on the Emerald in the Med. this May. The drinking age posted on the patter was 18. My 20 y.o. daughter as well as the 18 y.o. son of the familywe were travelling with were allowed to drink. Their cruise card had no no markings or holes punched to indicate they were under age.

Look again.

In the lower right there should be an asterisk which indicates the age is 18-20.

Thrak thanks for this - I am not discouraged and do appreciate the helpful responses. We depart next Saturday and are looking forward to our trip.

Are you going on the Emerald? If so I would be so grateful if you could take a photograph of the patter showing the drinking age of 18 and the date on the patter too, Enjoy your cruise 🚢

Conscription is not currently being utilized in the U.S. The last time it was, most young people were already old enough to drink:)