My License

Expired Driver's License + paper saying you have renewed it, even if you don't have your new driver's license yet, is a valid license.

OP has posted at least twice that when they renew a driver's license in that state, they take the old license and give them the temporary paper license. So they won't have the Expired license to show with the paper.

OP here's a suggestion - Portsmouth NH also has an acceptance facility, could you get an appointment there?

I just think its crazy....that my DL is valid when boarding the cruise....and it will only be 9 hours expired when I get off!! I know this is my error!!! I didn't even think about it until someone mentioned my Bday...and for some reason it all came back to me. Wish me luck all!!!! Thanks again for reply's

Something like this happened to me...I was at the bar in North Station waiting for a train and the bartender wished me a happy birthday, then told me my license was expiring the next day. I don't know whose bright idea it was to have driver's licenses expire on your birthday :rolleyes: Hopefully you can figure this out. Happy birthday and enjoy your cruise!

And to the wise *ss that said..."I hope I'm not driving home" Really!!??

Thanks..but we have friends driving and picking us up!!!

How come in post #43 you say "...all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car..." at 5:23 PM and then just over an hour later you have friends driving you?

Is this all a bit of made up drama?

How come in post #43 you say "...all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car..." at 5:23 PM and then just over an hour later you have friends driving you?

Is this all a bit of made up drama?

Actually, she said "is the beauty of this cruise all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car and board the cruise!!!" when responding about whether she was flying. Just a comment about liking to cruise from Boston.

And then said "we have friends driving and picking us up!!!" when responding about driving after the cruise.

The ID is still valid as identification. The fact that your driving "privileges" are expired is not relevant to proving your identity. Please don't worry. Unless you get pulled over driving to the port. Then you might be in trouble :). Enjoy your cruise.

I do not understand why the tempoary paper DL is not sufficient. Is it because it does not have your photo on it?

In both NM and CA they do not take the old license when they give the tempoary paper one. They simply punch a hole in it. Authorities then know to also look at temporary.

It is not the cruise line that is the question but US Immigration officials upon your return to US after cruise. They would probably accept the recently expired license but who wants to take the chance?

It states on the paper temporary renewed license it is not valid as ID. Doesn't matter what any other state does, only the state where OP resides.

OP.... the last time you renewed your license, did you do it on line? If NOT, you can do it on line and you will then be holding the expiring license. If you do not go to the DMV, they cannot retrieve your old license. You can print the renewal sheet you will receive by e-mail and should be fine with your BC, expiring license and proof you have renewed on line.

However, renewal on line is only permitted every other time.

Seeing OP is boarding in Boston, the reps likely will be familiar with the terms of the paper temporary license.

Edited by sail7seas

For future reference, although legally you can cruise on a closed loop cruise from the US without a passport, it's really a terrible idea to do so. This unfortunate situation you are in is just one example of why. If something were to happen, such as an accident or sudden illness and you wound up hospitalized outside the US, then you would miss your ship and have to fly home. Without a passport, you would have to wait until you got out of the hospital and then go the US embassy and get a passport in order to be able to fly home. Never travel internationally by any means (airplane, ship, train, car) without a passport. Too many things can go wrong.

Wishing you much success in getting an expedited passport this week.

It's a really terrible idea for you maybe but millions make this choice every year and cruise withot an issue. As long as one performs their due diligence and is comfortable with the small risk involved it is a perfectly viable option. Having a passport would not prevent OP's situation from happening since passports always expire (and I have read threads where this has happened to a PP holder). The lesson is obviously check the expiration date of your document well in advance.

OP, I know the passport agency says they need an appointment but go antway. We have one 18 miles from our house and they take walk ins. Go first thing and explain the situation. If they can't do anything you'll be out some time but if they can help you'll be set.

To those advising OP to report the license lost that's not a good idea since there's a good chance it will be flagged in the database and that would be picked by the authorities and cause more problems.

It states on the paper temporary renewed license it is not valid as ID. Doesn't matter what any other state does, only the state where OP resides.

OP.... the last time you renewed your license, did you do it on line? If NOT, you can do it on line and you will then be holding the expiring license. If you do not go to the DMV, they cannot retrieve your old license. You can print the renewal sheet you will receive by e-mail and should be fine with your BC, expiring license and proof you have renewed on line.

However, renewal on line is only permitted every other time.

Seeing OP is boarding in Boston, the reps likely will be familiar with the terms of the paper temporary license.

How would they get a new photo on the license if you renew it online? I know I can renew my car's registration online, but I must always go in to the DMV to renew my license in person. This is in Ohio though. The good thing here is that they print new license cards in the DMV office, so only need to wait a few minutes to have a new card, not 7-10 days. It seems MA is a little behind the times on this.

Actually, she said "is the beauty of this cruise all I have to do is drive into Boston and park my car and board the cruise!!!" when responding about whether she was flying. Just a comment about liking to cruise from Boston.

And then said "we have friends driving and picking us up!!!" when responding about driving after the cruise.

So she'd be abandoning her car where she had parked it?

From the U.S. CBP site:

U.S. Citizens on closed-loop cruises will be able to enter or depart the country on the cruise with proof of citizenship, such as an original or copy of his or her birth certificate (issued by the Vital Records Department in the state where he or she was born) and, if 16 or older, a

government issued photo ID.

If you are down to just the two choices of renewing it and only taking the paper portion with no photo OR keeping the expired drivers license WITH photo - I hope that you choose the second.

A valid paper drivers license is irrelevant to proving identity as there is no picture.

Keep the expired license that has your photo on it. Proving identity is their goal - NOT determining if you are legally allowed to drive.

I obviously can't promise anything - but if those are the 2 options you are down to, I urge you to keep the picture ID. I honestly believe you will be fine.

How would they get a new photo on the license if you renew it online? I know I can renew my car's registration online, but I must always go in to the DMV to renew my license in person. This is in Ohio though. The good thing here is that they print new license cards in the DMV office, so only need to wait a few minutes to have a new card, not 7-10 days. It seems MA is a little behind the times on this.

NC used to print in the office but stopped and now they mail them. It seems that is the new thing states are doing now. Don't be surprised if Ohio switches to mailing them out in the future. It has nothing to do with being "behind the times" even though it seems that way.

Well looks like my only option is going to the DMV to see what they can do for me. I looked into going into Boston for my passport and you NEED an apt and the first available apt is June 26th (the day I leave) no-where on the page says you can walk in. Over and over it says you NEED an apt!!!!!

And to the wise *ss that said..."I hope I'm not driving home" Really!!??

Thanks..but we have friends driving and picking us up!!!

Thank you again, for all your comments. I read each and everyone of them...and a lot of them are very helpful.

Contact a Passport Expediter company. They usually have standing appointments for this and guarantee to get you a passport in 24 hours M-F. It's expensive, but better than risking missing your cruise.

States that do online renewals do not put a new photo on the renewed license. They just reuse the previous one that is stored in their computers.

I don't know what cruise line you are sailing on but Celebrity's web site FAQ for forms of ID states:

"U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same port in the U.S.) will be able to enter or depart the country with proof of citizenship, such as a government-issued birth certificate and laminated government issued picture ID, denoting photo, name and date of birth." This wording is an expansion of the FAQ on the

http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/passports/information/do-i-need.html

web site.

Unlike a passport, it does not state that it cannot be an expired drivers license, only that it must have a photo, name & date of birth. Since you cannot get this from your DMV I agree with the previous poster, don't try to renew your license before your cruise since you know they will keep it and just issue a piece of paper that will not be valid for proving identity.

Edited by CHEZMARYLOU

They use the last photo that was taken and that is why we can only renew on line every other time. We must have an eye test and new photo on alternating renewal dates.

BTW, Massachusetts is not the only state that does license renewals this way. You may well find your state doing it that way soon. ;)

Edited by sail7seas

They use the last photo that was taken and that is why we can only renew on line every other time. We must have an eye test and new photo on alternating renewal dates.

BTW, Massachusetts is not the only state that does license renewals this way. You may well find your state doing it that way soon. ;)

Yep, CA does license renewals by mail, also.

Contact a Passport Expediter company. They usually have standing appointments for this and guarantee to get you a passport in 24 hours M-F. It's expensive, but better than risking missing your cruise.

If the OP lives close enough to a Passport Agency, I see no reason to pay an expeditor service. Just go yourself. Even though one has to call to get an appointment, I would doubt they are all taken.

If the OP lives close enough to a Passport Agency, I see no reason to pay an expeditor service. Just go yourself. Even though one has to call to get an appointment, I would doubt they are all taken.

Officially all appointments are booked weeks in advance. But every day there are scores of people turning up at the Miami passport office (and I'm sure others) with no appointment. Usually if you are in line at opening time they will at least get your application started and give you a time to pick it up in a day or so. As long as you are prepared to queue up at dawn and spend the better part of a couple days there, true there is no need for either an appointment or private expediter.

Well here in Florida there were "ahead of their time" nearly thirty years ago when mail renewal started--admittedly not as an advancement of the service but in lieu of adequately staffing the DMV offices. You mailed a check and received a sticker to put on your old license extending the expiration date, originally by four years, later amended to six again due to the state falling behind from understaffing. Of course the sticker faded or just slid off so many citizens took to re-laminating their license, which is of course against the rules and technically voided the license as proof of age.

Nowadays it is accomplished online: you e-pay the renewal fee and a new license with your old picture is sent in the mail. And as other posters have noted, there is supposed to be a limit to consecutive renewals without visiting the DMV in person--the main one in Florida being a clean driving record for the past three years. But there have been court cases declaring the rules that place limits on virtual renewals for persons over a certain age and/or with the 'corrective lenses' endorsement as discriminatory (even when acknowledging that having a DL is a privilege, not a right) . A cousin of mine decided to renew in person after around 4 or 5 straight mail/online renewals because he was tired of being questioned over the picture on the license which contained both a quantity and color of hair he can no longer cultivate :rolleyes:

<end civics lesson; please return to original discussion>

Officially all appointments are booked weeks in advance. But every day there are scores of people turning up at the Miami passport office (and I'm sure others) with no appointment. Usually if you are in line at opening time they will at least get your application started and give you a time to pick it up in a day or so. As long as you are prepared to queue up at dawn and spend the better part of a couple days there, true there is no need for either an appointment or private expediter.

I had to apply for an expedited passport at a the Detroit Passport Agency late last year. You can only make a passport two weeks in advance. I suspect that appointment times fill up fast, but I called the first day I could make an appointment and had no problem doing so. The OP doesn't have that luxury, but have they called to try to make an appointment? My experience when I arrived was that many, perhaps most, people did not have an appointment and were just showing up to apply.

While Detroit does not require proof of travel, they did ask for my travel dates. I wasn't traveling for a couple more weeks and was told that my passport would be sent expedited delivery within 5 days. I got it two days later. I suspect if I was traveling within a day or two I could have picked it up later that day. I got it in plenty of time for my cruise.

Just to explain my situation, I didn't need to apply for an expedited passport because of poor planning or not checking expiration dates. I became a US Citizen a little over two weeks before going on a cruise. While I could have traveled with my Naturalization Certificate and ID, I didn't want to travel with the only document to prove my citizenship that would cost $350 and almost a year to have replaced.

I had to apply for an expedited passport at a the Detroit Passport Agency late last year. You can only make a passport two weeks in advance. I suspect that appointment times fill up fast, but I called the first day I could make an appointment and had no problem doing so. The OP doesn't have that luxury, but have they called to try to make an appointment? My experience when I arrived was that many, perhaps most, people did not have an appointment and were just showing up to apply.

While Detroit does not require proof of travel, they did ask for my travel dates. I wasn't traveling for a couple more weeks and was told that my passport would be sent expedited delivery within 5 days. I got it two days later. I suspect if I was traveling within a day or two I could have picked it up later that day. I got it in plenty of time for my cruise.

Just to explain my situation, I didn't need to apply for an expedited passport because of poor planning or not checking expiration dates. I became a US Citizen a little over two weeks before going on a cruise. While I could have traveled with my Naturalization Certificate and ID, I didn't want to travel with the only document to prove my citizenship that would cost $350 and almost a year to have replaced.

OP said when they called the Boston Passport Agency the first available appointment was June 26 (the day her ship departs).

I suggested that she try Portsmouth NH Passport Agency (it's only a little over an hour from Boston). But haven't heard back about whether she did or not.

OP said when they called the Boston Passport Agency the first available appointment was June 26 (the day her ship departs).

I suggested that she try Portsmouth NH Passport Agency (it's only a little over an hour from Boston). But haven't heard back about whether she did or not.

Somehow I missed that. I would then try the National Passport Center in Portsmouth. If they don't have any available appointments, showing up without one is likely to work. I know that lots of people in Detroit were there without an appointment.

We all know there is not always consistency.

Just because it was fine to show up in Detroit without an appointment does not mean it is fine to do so in Boston or Portsmouth. Same as renewing licenses in Ohio is different than 'behind the times' in MA and as we have learned CA, as well. Interestingly, they are two of the most progressive states in U.S. :)

We all know there is not always consistency.

Just because it was fine to show up in Detroit without an appointment does not mean it is fine to do so in Boston or Portsmouth. Same as renewing licenses in Ohio is different than 'behind the times' in MA and as we have learned CA, as well. Interestingly, they are two of the most progressive states in U.S. :)

If there are no appointment times available in Portsmouth or Boston, the OP really has only two options; show up at the Passport Agency and hope they let them apply or show up at the port with a license that will expire while they are on the cruise. There really isn't much more advice we can give them, is there?

Not sure it is about being progressive. It seems that the way they do business with license renewal is more about cost savings than anything else. Progressive maybe, but perhaps a step backward in other ways. Ohio has actually contracted out their BMV services to a private contractor if I recall correctly.

Edited by dioxide45